New Metallica Album

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Taken from Wikipedia:

Perhaps a February 2008 release of Metallica's ninth album.

In December 2006, Metallica released a DVD containing all the music videos from 1989 to 2004. The DVD, titled The Videos 1989-2004, sold 28,000 copies in its first week, and entered the Billboard Top Videos chart at number three.[62] Metallica recorded a cover of Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" for a tribute album titled We All Love Ennio Morricone, released in February 2007. The cover received a Grammy nomination at the 50th Grammy Awards for the category "Best Rock Instrumental Performance".[63] A recording of "The Ecstasy of Gold" has been played as the introduction for every Metallica performance since the 1980s. However, this new version features the band itself performing the piece, giving a new guitar-based interpretation to the music.[64] On February 9, 2007, Metallica confirmed that pre-production on the ninth studio album had been completed, and recording began on March 12, 2007.[65] Set for release in February 2008, Metallica and Rubin "polished" vocal mixes throughout December 2007.[66]
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So the darlings of the RIAA decided that suing people was not actually going to make them any money and so a completely unoriginal sounding album is what they are now going to peddle?

I am sorry but I think I would be more excited about getting a new Hannah Montana Album. At least with Hannah my daugter would like it.
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.
  • At least it's a step up from St. Anger!!!
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    danny72688 wrote:
    At least it's a step up from St. Anger!!!

to be fair, pissing into the wind's a step up from St. Anger.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • bigbadbill wrote:
    Taken from Wikipedia:

Perhaps a February 2008 release of Metallica's ninth album.

In December 2006, Metallica released a DVD containing all the music videos from 1989 to 2004. The DVD, titled The Videos 1989-2004, sold 28,000 copies in its first week, and entered the Billboard Top Videos chart at number three.[62] Metallica recorded a cover of Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" for a tribute album titled We All Love Ennio Morricone, released in February 2007. The cover received a Grammy nomination at the 50th Grammy Awards for the category "Best Rock Instrumental Performance".[63] A recording of "The Ecstasy of Gold" has been played as the introduction for every Metallica performance since the 1980s. However, this new version features the band itself performing the piece, giving a new guitar-based interpretation to the music.[64] On February 9, 2007, Metallica confirmed that pre-production on the ninth studio album had been completed, and recording began on March 12, 2007.[65] Set for release in February 2008, Metallica and Rubin "polished" vocal mixes throughout December 2007.[66]

I'll waiting for the new album,I like metallica!!
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • to be fair, pissing into the wind's a step up from St. Anger.....
    Naturally....they hit rock bottom. They can only go up from here!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    to be fair, pissing into the wind's a step up from St. Anger.....
    Agreed...St. Anger represented a band that had lost its way.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I'm a little curious to hear what the new 'tallica record sounds like. It will either be crap or it could be the greatest comeback ever in the history of rock 'n roll. Rick Ruben has done some magik with aging artists before, just look at what he did for Johnny Cash. Cash was the best in country music in his heyday but he burned out, luckily Ruben secured his legacy by helping him put out some of music's best records ever before he died. You never know, he may be able to do something for Metallica, but I doubt it. If this next record really doesn't "save" Metallica, I think they should give it up and persue solo projects or maybe just live off of royalties and be with their families. St. Anger was just terrible, you could tell that they don't even like making music with each other. If they broke up, they could form other bands with musicians they get along with. It would be really cool if Kirt Hammet did a solo project, maybe something instrumental like Joe Satriani or with another metal singer. Anyway, I really hope that the new Metallica is good because I've always liked their music, but I doubt it will really happen.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • So, while they're making this album, is there going to be a shrink with a wide collection of Cosby sweaters following them? (You have to see Some Kind Of Monster to get that reference)
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Bremerton wrote:

heh heh:)

Tick tock tick tock
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • danny72688 wrote:
    At least it's a step up from St. Anger!!!

you told me that you thought st anger was some of their best work since justice

what changed your mind

you were using the term groundbreaking
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Bremerton wrote:

one of the worst lyrics ever written period.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • to be fair, pissing into the wind's a step up from St. Anger.....

agreed, maybe lars isnt palying tin cans on this one, at least with rick rubin its almost guaranteed to be well done.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I honestly dont think it could get any worse than their last record, I am sure it will be quite awful though. They should hang it up.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    On St. Anger they appeared to be lost as to what they were trying to accomplish. They appeared to me to trying to play faster and also lyrically but it didn't work.

At the same time with the right combinations and some time to lay it all on the table I find it hard to underestimate this band on this next album.

If it shitty I'll be the first one to say it here, we shall see. I just hope when they go out on tour cut out all the theatrics and get back to playing with a clear & clean sound.

I can see why Jason left when he did, he made his money and knew it was time to go.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    If Jaymz is drinking again, then this album may be decent.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • With Rick Rubin producing it I'm looking for the 'Tallica boys to make a big rebound. I was terribly disappointed with St. Anger, although it did have a couple of high points and if this one sucks I don't know if I can give them another chance.

As far as the release date, I read on rollingstone.com a few days ago that it is rumored to be set for a September release. Whether the album is very good or not, I'm hoping to be able to catch them on tour for I have never seen them.

On a side note, I actually woke up this morning with Sad But True in my mind for some reason, so I pulled out the Black album to get me pumped up for an exciting day (or half day) at work
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • you told me that you thought st anger was some of their best work since justice

what changed your mind

you were using the term groundbreaking
    I listened to Blackened and realized they'd never be at that level again, not with Lars on the pots and pans at least.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    lars' drums sounded quite different to me on st. anger, which made it all the more horrible. i like his snap on the old stuff.

hope they get their edge back. when they're on, they're great.
    I love to turn you on
  • danny72688 wrote:
    I listened to Blackened and realized they'd never be at that level again, not with Lars on the pots and pans at least.

ive been playing seek and destroy aloy.

st anger sounds to me like they hated themselves while making it
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    this will be it for me, if this record sucks then I will give up on Metallica, but will always go see them live, they haven't put out a good record since 1996, Load was amazing, ReLoad sucked, and St. Anger, well I took it to work and it got stolen and needless to say, I didn't give a shit, but I just can't see an album Rick Ruben produced being bad.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    With Rick Rubin producing it I'm looking for the 'Tallica boys to make a big rebound. I was terribly disappointed with St. Anger, although it did have a couple of high points and if this one sucks I don't know if I can give them another chance.

As far as the release date, I read on rollingstone.com a few days ago that it is rumored to be set for a September release. Whether the album is very good or not, I'm hoping to be able to catch them on tour for I have never seen them.

On a side note, I actually woke up this morning with Sad But True in my mind for some reason, so I pulled out the Black album to get me pumped up for an exciting day (or half day) at work

no matter how bad the album is, I will go see them, they are still amazing live, although they always choose shitty nu-metal opening acts
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    TheGossman wrote:
    this will be it for me, if this record sucks then I will give up on Metallica, but will always go see them live, they haven't put out a good record since 1996, Load was amazing, ReLoad sucked, and St. Anger, well I took it to work and it got stolen and needless to say, I didn't give a shit, but I just can't see an album Rick Ruben produced being bad.

I think alot of Rick Rubens work lately has been very average to be honest. I think he has taken too many projects. I have less respect for him just for the fact that he produced a Linkin Park album........he didnt exactly turn them into a better band either, just the same old crap that they were doing.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • ive been playing seek and destroy aloy.

st anger sounds to me like they hated themselves while making it
    An excellent choice. No Remorse is killer too!
    St. Anger sounds like complete garbage. Some decent riffs, decent. Destroyed by tired and worn out vocals. Start drinking again James. It's for the best.