What Bob Dylan says about modern music (I hope he's not including Pearl Jam)

2»

Comments

• Echoes wrote:
    what a fucking idiot
    When was the last time you listened to modern rock music?

Nickelback, etc etc etc you all know the bands..

he's right.

I think he was talking about mainstream stuff.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    fair enough
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    and hello!!!!!
    dylan's backing band was The Band for crying out loud. respect just for that alone.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    I love Dylan and all of his music, but you have to take things he says with a grain of salt. In my opinion, he's either putting on the longest show known to man or he's completely fucking insane. Either way, you probably shouldn't take what he says to seriously. Just read Chronicles to figure that out.
    Not taking anything away from his music, old and new.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • JWBusher wrote:
    That was because many record players back in the day had long spindles with a magnetic arm attached that held records in place and acted as an "automatic changer". They would press the double LP's 1/4 and 2/3 so that you could play sides 1/2 in a row, flip them over and play sides 3/4 in a row. See?

I was thinking that must have been the case. Thanks.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This thread frustrates me. I think most people believe he is talking about the music being made, but he is talking about the production of the music and it's sound quality......

I mean why would he say his stuff probalby sounded better in the studio then it did on the cd....
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Echoes wrote:
    at the best he is completely ignorant

You're the one who's ignorant. He's exactly right.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    intodeep wrote:
    This thread frustrates me. I think most people believe he is talking about the music being made, but he is talking about the production of the music and it's sound quality......

I mean why would he say his stuff probalby sounded better in the studio then it did on the cd....

I think most people get it, but there contention is that Bob is just shooting his mouth off, not knowing much or just being snide.
    Bob can be very incoherent and just plain crazy sounding, I don't take anything he says seriously. This is the guy who said he never heard of overdubbing until the late 70s. And don't forget his rant in Chronicles about his new music "system" told to him by an old bluesman, that is based on odd numbers instead of even (I probably don't have to tell you the whole passage was nonsensical).
    I'm not ragging on the man at all, just putting forth some perspective on his state of mind. If I had been called the voice of a generation for 4 decades and put up with the celebrity he has, I might be a little loopy too.
    As far as the recording process sounding better than the CD, of course hearing the real thing is better than hearing a digitally compressed recording.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283

He's talking about the way the songs in modern crap rock are made.. he's 100% right on the dot there. Listen to a modern rock station.. it's just crap guitar distortion with unnoticable bass, generic drums that might as well be played on a keyboard, and vocals turned up higher than nessecary because that's all MTV cares about is the singer.

Spot on.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Spot on.
    finally someone doesn't skip over me :rolleyes:

"Make our day"
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    finally someone doesn't skip over me :rolleyes:

Hahaha, know how you feel.

But yeah the point you made about the drums and bass in modern rock is what caught my attention, you're dead right. Thats why, for me at least, bands like Incubus and RHCP are a breath of fresh air...

So many bands sound the same to me...Bands like the Smiths or The Cure will live on so much longer...love them or hate them they have a distinct one off sound...

Just like the mighty Tom Waits....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I miss vinyl. I miss being able to see how long a song was. I miss jumping up to turn the record over. I miss slow sides and fast sides. I miss looking at the area around the label to see if there was a message scratched in, like on Joe Walsh and Eagles records. I still remember which songs started side two.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    16-bit, 44.1 does sound like ass.

24-bit, 96k however does not.
  • Hahaha, know how you feel.

But yeah the point you made about the drums and bass in modern rock is what caught my attention, you're dead right. Thats why, for me at least, bands like Incubus and RHCP are a breath of fresh air...

So many bands sound the same to me...Bands like the Smiths or The Cure will live on so much longer...love them or hate them they have a distinct one off sound...

Just like the mighty Tom Waits....
    Incubus really is a breath of fresh air.. even though they've been around ahwile..

There's a band who's fairly unique and just keeps changing and getting better every release.

"Make our day"
  • Here is Bob's *complete* quote...and for you dumbfucks who were offended...he was criticizing modern recording technology and even his own new record...he says nothing about "modern music" or any "modern bands"...He only uses the word RECORDS throughout the quote...

"The records I used to listen to and still love, you can't make a record that sounds that way. Brian Wilson, he made all his records with four tracks, but you couldn't make his records if you had a hundred tracks today. We all like records that are played on record players, but let's face it, those days are gon-n-n-e. You do the best you can, you fight that technology in all kinds of ways, but I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past twenty years, really. You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them. There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like -- static. Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it. I remember when that Napster guy came up across, it was like, 'Everybody's gettin' music for free.' I was like, 'Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway.' "
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Yep, and back in the old days, artists really thought about what would make a great end to side one of an LP (say, on Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited", "Ballad of a Thin Man") and a good beginning to side two ("Queen Jane Approximately"). If they could convince their record companies on the aesthetics of a good running order, then they could produce an album as a great, varied piece of work, with two decided moods. With the CD, records became more of an homogenous stodge or blob. Maybe "Ten" was one of the very last LPs, that had a great end of side one ("Jeremy") and a powerful beginning of side two ("Oceans"). Now, there doesn't seem to be as much thought put into the running order of albums; there isn't that sense of an album having two moods that there used to be.

Foo Fighters - In Your Honour, had two moods ending on one disc and starting on the next, maybe not as powerfull as the classics you mention but still.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Man, I'm listening to "When the Deal Goes Down", from the new album. Even on a crappy old mp3, it's the most sublime song I've heard ... ever.
  • Man, I'm listening to "When the Deal Goes Down", from the new album. Even on a crappy old mp3, it's the most sublime song I've heard ... ever.
    yeah, I can't wait to hear this...gonna go buy it Tuesday.

Just saw him Wednesday night in Reading...
    infuckingcredible.

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.