Sunny Day Real Estate

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Who here lilkes this group? They're pretty cool.
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    Diary & How It Feels To Be... are all i've got but i like those. Of course Diary in particular. Actually I have the pink too but haven't gotten into it.

Fire Theft cd had some good stuff too.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Possibly the ONLY good thing to come out of the "emo" "movement".

I had some "hipster" friends back in the late 90's who were big on Sunny Day.

It was never my thing, but of all the neu-shit that was coming out, this was far and away the best of the bunch.

Since the mid 2000's other good "indie" sounds have come out that have nothing to do with emo, thank god ... but if we're looking to the genre specificaly, Sunny Day at least has merit and some listenability.

if you ask a guy obsessed with pop, and good hard rock.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I love Sunny Day! They're awesome.
  • The original emo band.

Not that scene shit...great band...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have diary it is pretty awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I had Diary in the Car all week. I just missed Jeremy Enigk a few weeks ago as well. He's really good as a solo artist as well.
    NERDS!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Great band.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Personally, I never thought emo was a good description of Sunny Day beacause they actually rock. I know they were one of the bands the term was coined around, but their sound is much more diverse and features a higher level of musicianship than what I normally associate with "emo."
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    I prefer Embrace (ian mackaye's band before fugazi)
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
    mark arm wrote:
    I prefer Embrace (ian mackaye's band before fugazi)

Maybe I just don't know the connection, but what does that have to do with SDRE?
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    the so called "emo" rock or whatever
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    BinFrog wrote:
    Maybe I just don't know the connection, but what does that have to do with SDRE?
    Embrace were part of the first wave of "emo" when it still had some connection to hardcore punk. people say SDRE were the first emo band. Embrace and Rites of Spring were doing similar (but less poppy) stuff in 1985/86
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    If anyone hasn't heard Rising Tide (their last album together), check it out. It's probably their most rocking album. But all of their records are amazing. Also an unbelievable live act, i probably saw them 12-15 times between 94-00! Dave Grohl hand picked Nate and William for the original Foo lineup. He said they were the best rythem section he had ever heard.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Embrace were part of the first wave of "emo" when it still had some connection to hardcore punk. people say SDRE were the first emo band. Embrace and Rites of Spring were doing similar (but less poppy) stuff in 1985/86

Gotcha.
    mr bungle wrote:
    If anyone hasn't heard Rising Tide (their last album together), check it out. It's probably their most rocking album. But all of their records are amazing. Also an unbelievable live act, i probably saw them 12-15 times between 94-00! Dave Grohl hand picked Nate and William for the original Foo lineup. He said they were the best rythem section he had ever heard.

Rising Tide has my favorite SDRE song: Faces In Disguise. It's like a legitimate emo (not this new emo crap) version of Given To Fly. It's just got this great vibe and flow throughout the entire song. It should have been on the Garden State soundtrack.