New Coldplay album...any thoughts?

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I heard a clip of the title track Viva La Vida. It's nothing to be amazed about upon hearing it for the first time. I guess it will take awhile. I do like Violet Hill though. Any thoughts on this?
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i cannot wait for this..my wife and i love coldplay and have fond memories of many songs by them..so far this sounds different
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I didn't like their last album, and don't like Violet Hill. I think they have lost their charm and are trying way to hard to be different.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Viva La Vida hit me about the 3rd time I listened to it... really like it.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
    i don't care for viva la vida but only heard it once so maybe it will grow.

violet hill really grew on me and i like it a lot.

i will be picking this record up when it comes out...along with x & y which i never got around to getting. have the first two...they're awesome.

looking forward to the new album overall, i heard this is the one "people are going to remember them by."
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    i don't care for viva la vida but only heard it once so maybe it will grow.

violet hill really grew on me and i like it a lot.

i will be picking this record up when it comes out...along with x & y which i never got around to getting. have the first two...they're awesome.

looking forward to the new album overall, i heard this is the one "people are going to remember them by."

Only because Chris Martin is a pretentiously conceited douche.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    the iTunes commercial makes them look like fools.

i guarantee this album will be way too "pop" for me.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    terrible. absolute garbage. they're like a low rent version of U2.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    they just keep TRYING to be epic. like somehow every song needs to be monumental. someone should tell chris martin to go back to writing the simple songs of parachutes. you aren't noel gallagher. you aren't bono. stop trying.

bono needs to stop being bono. fucking hell U2 suck now.
  • bossman3188bossman3188 Posts: 263
    hobbes wrote:
    they just keep TRYING to be epic. like somehow every song needs to be monumental. someone should tell chris martin to go back to writing the simple songs of parachutes. you aren't noel gallagher. you aren't bono. stop trying.

bono needs to stop being bono. fucking hell U2 suck now.

yeah dude, hes really trying to be bono or noel gallagher :/.... w/e

i really liked viva la vida, or at least what ive heard of it on the commercial. violet hill is amazing too. they seem like they are getting into the heavier style a littler more. theres more guitar in these new songs.

with that said i absolutely cant wait until it comes out!
    there'll be time for laughin'
    there's no time to cry
    soon i will be leavin'
    look me in the eye
    no matter what's in front of me
    it's your face that i'll see
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    I watched the 40 year old virgin on weekend again....

Two of the guys have a conversation... one says "you know how i know you're gay?"...
    the other replied "no.. how do you know that i'm gay?"
    his answer was. "Because you listen to Coldplay!"

haha... i like Coldplay! :p
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    they are terrible
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    hobbes wrote:

So true..they are trying too hard and it is producing such shit music. Their simple stuff was actually good. Unfortunately they can't live up to their own hype.
  • I like Parachutes and about half of A Rush of Blood to the Head but after that, 'Meh'.

Hard to believe that the band who wrote the genius 'Yellow' is now so mediocre.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I like Parachutes and about half of A Rush of Blood to the Head but after that, 'Meh'.

Hard to believe that the band who wrote the genius 'Yellow' is now so mediocre.
    I agree with your words exactly. I feel they are one band that tries way too hard to be U2. I saw them at the Showbox in 01' and was completely blown away. Some bands can make the transition from being a club/theatre live act to a stadium band. They didn't transition well, as all of their songs are intended to be epic anthems.
  • well. thought i'd bring this thread up again.

have been listening to the new album a lot and it's their best since a rush of blood to the head.

lost!, 42, lovers in japan, violet hill, strawberry swing = amazing songs.

the changes in tempo and tone are fantastic.

a great record, i can't believe people don't like it.
  • Coldplay is a bland band with bland albums. Always.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Im sat here wondering how many of you have actually LISTENED to the new album.....actually sat down and, on a good stereo, turned it up load and listened to it a good few times......

I find it very different to the overblown X&Y.....

Strawberry Swing, Yes, Violet Hill Lost and Lovers in Japan are fuckin' amazing songs.....

Viva La Vida is a great album.....

It pisses all over the frankly embarrassing X&Y......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton