rekindled interest in Wu-Tang Clan

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Over the last month, I've been listening to Wu-Tang Clan, Method Man, O.D.B., Raekwon the Chef, Genius/GZA, and so on. Of all rap/hip-hop acts, Wu-Tang Clan are one of my favorites. Even though Pearl Jam's my favorite band, it's good to take a bit of a rest from rock and roll all time; to listen to and enjoy other forms of music. What other groups do people like besides Pearl Jam? Other genres of music?
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    bigbadbill wrote:
    Over the last month, I've been listening to Wu-Tang Clan, Method Man, O.D.B., Raekwon the Chef, Genius/GZA, and so on. Of all rap/hip-hop acts, Wu-Tang Clan are one of my favorites. Even though Pearl Jam's my favorite band, it's good to take a bit of a rest from rock and roll all time; to listen to and enjoy other forms of music. What other groups do people like besides Pearl Jam? Other genres of music?
    I certainly agree that its good to take a break from rock every now and then. recently I've been getting back into all the hip-hop that I used to love, plus I've discovered loads more (Immortal Technique, Pete Rock and Cl Smooth, Aesop Rock, Boogie Down Productions.

anyway, the Wu are awesome (or were... their last few albums aren't on the same level as the 36 chambers and the first round of solo albums. Liquid Swords by the Genius/GZA, Only built 4 cuban linx by Raekwon the chef and Ironman by Ghostface Killah are amazing.

Cash Rules Everything Around Me
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Iron Flag by Wu-Tang's pretty good. There's one song, "Uzi (Pinky Ring)," which is worth listening to. Also, on the Legend of the Wu-Tang (greatest hits), they did an old Run DMC hit, "Sucker M.C.'s
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i haven't listened to much of the wu-tang clan, but i do listen to all sorts of diff music besides rock. i enjoy classic soul, neo soul, classical, jazz, some rap, old school country and punk, flamenco, more mellow sort of folksy stuff like ray lamontagne. just depends what my mood is. variety is so important :)
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    "Shorty don't even need to go to summer school, just pick up the Wu-tang double CD, thats all the Education you need"

I laugh everytime I hear that. I love the Forever double CD, now thats some great shit. All the new rap I hear is fucking horrible, they just repeat the same verse over and over again.....fucking stupid.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Enter The Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers is their best album in my opinion.

I used to listen to hip-hop and then I discovered rock. But now I love getting out my old cd's again and put them on again. Gang Starr, Tupac, MOP, Run DMC...

I also love Bob Marley and listen to him quite often. If you like reggae and hip hop you should get Chant Down Babylon, a remix album.

I enjoy folk songs and soul too and oldies.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    "Shorty don't even need to go to summer school, just pick up the Wu-tang double CD, thats all the Education you need"

I laugh everytime I hear that. I love the Forever double CD, now thats some great shit. All the new rap I hear is fucking horrible, they just repeat the same verse over and over again.....fucking stupid.
    my personal favourite clan line is the RZA's "Ten times ten men committin' mad sin, turn the other cheek and I'll break your fuckin' chin" :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    my personal favourite clan line is the RZA's "Ten times ten men committin' mad sin, turn the other cheek and I'll break your fuckin' chin" :D

You fag, you couldn't pull one drag off my blunt
    You couldn't punch your way out of a wet paper bag
    with scissors in your hands, bitch, the RZA
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    The Wu is like PJ for me in hip hop. Been listening to them since day 1 and they remain true esp. to the fans. I saw them at the Hammerstein in NY last yr and they rocked it! Meth stage dove into us over and over right from his intro to the M.E.T.H.O.D. song! I grew out of a lot of the new hip hop cause its garbage but the old school shit like Rakim and nas Gangstarr, etc, is still hot.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    bigbadbill wrote:
    If you like Wu..have you heard Liquid Swords?
    grimmy
  • nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    i still enjoy the Wu every now and then too...

i especially love this one!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTDWHi1i6y4
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    bigbadbill wrote:

i saw wu-tang on the '96 lolla tour. really confusing set. i can't remember the exact number, but there were at least 15 guys walking around on the stage, all but 2 had microphones, all rapping/singing at the same time. the 2 that didn't have mic's had cardboard boxes and were throwing things into the crowd. i caught one and found out it was a cassette single of one of their songs. i threw it back onto the stage.

i'll listen to just about anything. rock, rap, country, bluegrass, classical, oldies, big band, hell i even dig marching band music. what i'm really into now (for the past 7 years) is the jam band scene. i dig some phish, GD, SCI, some DMB, robert randolph....but my absolute favorite band is moe. love the shit out of them and catch them anytime they're around. i've seen 'em 44 times since labor day weekend '00. will be seeing show #45 this friday in hyannis, ma. can't friggin' wait.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • For anyone still supporting the Wu-Tang Movement, meaning the independent Wu-Tang affiliates still bringing creative and thought provoking music, head over to the store at Chambermusik.com
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    GRIMMY wrote:
    If you like Wu..have you heard Liquid Swords?

I have that cd by GZA.

"He was my father's decapitator...."

"That was the night everything changed....(music comes in)..."
    Has anyone seen the movie "Black and White" ?

It has a bunch of members from Wu-Tang.
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    bigbadbill wrote:
    Has anyone seen the movie "Black and White" ?

It has a bunch of members from Wu-Tang.
    yea plenty of other celebs too, but the movie itself wasnt all that. Theyve had parts in other movies that were better..... Scary movie 4 where they all gun themselves down,How High with Red is funny as hell and Belly which was also kinda ehh.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    [size=+10]Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothin to mess with!!![/size]
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    [size=+10]Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothin to mess with!!![/size]
    I belive you mean "Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothin' to [size=+10]FUCK[/size] with
  • You guys are both wrong.

Wu-Tang Clan ain't NOTHIN'

My two cents. I just don't like rap..
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
    You guys are both wrong.

Wu-Tang Clan ain't NOTHIN'

My two cents. I just don't like rap..
    and because your taste in music is different, we are WRONG? what a fundamentally arrogant notion.

thanks for your two cents though but I don't need them.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I used to be the biggest Wu-Tang fan but their new music is quite poor. I still do love the older stuff though. Even got Enter The Wu on vinyl.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    and because your taste in music is different, we are WRONG? what a fundamentally arrogant notion.

thanks for your two cents though but I don't need them.

Hey, like what you want. That was just my way of saying that Rap doesn't appeal to me. And getting in on the game of correcting people..

*takes back his two cents*
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
    Hey, like what you want. That was just my way of saying that Rap doesn't appeal to me. And getting in on the game of correcting people..

You should at least respect them whether you like them or not
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I like the Wu :)

Some other rap i dig is Aesop Rock, MF Doom, and Jurassic 5
    I like the Wu :)

Some other rap i dig is Aesop Rock, MF Doom, and Jurassic 5

Did you know that J5 broke up? They were the most refreshing hip-hop group of this decade but their last album really sucked so it might be good that they are hanging it up.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Did you know that J5 broke up? They were the most refreshing hip-hop group of this decade but their last album really sucked so it might be good that they are hanging it up.

yeah i know they broke up, they were good while they lasted.

Quality Control was awesome
    yeah i know they broke up, they were good while they lasted.

Quality Control was awesome

Did you ever get to see them live? I am disappointed that I alway missed them when they were around here but the footage I have seen just looked awesome, flowing off of each other, breakdancing, alot of turntable scratching and such.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

fair enough, and at least you weren't arsey about it. if I was a bit quick to get defensive its just because I was tired :)