New Smashing Pumpkins

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I like this album. Who else has heard it?
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It rocks...some people are saying its a let down...Listen to the song "United States" or the huge riffs and drums in "Tarantula". I love it!
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    It's been posted here and I don't like this album, I LOVE this album. It's my first time listening to an album by them but I had heard of them years ago. I just didn't take the time to check them out.

I found this album by accident when searching for more info on the documentary "Zeitgeist". checkout this video from the opening track DOOMSDAY CLOCK.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

It rocks...some people are saying its a let down...Listen to the song "United States" or the huge riffs and drums in "Tarantula". I love it!

That riff near the end of United States is hard rocking music, I need to see them live.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Listen to the song "United States" or the huge riffs and drums in "Tarantula". I love it!

Those two tunes are cool, especially live. I can't get into the rest of the disc though. Not too fond of the production on that album either.
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    Production issues aside, I really enjoyed the songs on this album. Especially Bring The Light, For God And Country and Come On Let's Go.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I'd say its the best I've heard this year.
    "It's all happening"
  • I think it's crap and Billy Corgan is a shell of his former self.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    It rocks.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • g under p wrote:
    It's been posted here and I don't like this album, I LOVE this album. It's my first time listening to an album by them but I had heard of them years ago. I just didn't take the time to check them out.

I found this album by accident when searching for more info on the documentary "Zeitgeist". checkout this video from the opening track DOOMSDAY CLOCK.

Peace

Like you, I passed them up years ago, just started more into their music recently and am not disappointed. Can't wait to see them live. Billy's voice takes a bit of getting used to, but I've adjusted and enjoy all their stuff now.
  • I love the new record and I am FINALLY seeing them live in 3 weeks!...my wife bought me tix for my wedding present...can't wait!!
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    g under p wrote:
    That riff near the end of United States is hard rocking music, I need to see them live.

Peace

Saw them last Sunday mate,united states was amazing!!!
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
    Like you, I passed them up years ago, just started more into their music recently and am not disappointed. Can't wait to see them live. Billy's voice takes a bit of getting used to, but I've adjusted and enjoy all their stuff now.

Ain't that the truth about his voice, I had to focus more on the riffs, drumming and the lyrics. After awhile I was used to it but after ALL these years since listening to RUSH and Geddy Lee I can get used to BC.

I have S. Dream and looking to get the next album in their collection.

Peace

• I felt the record was as expected. Way too much as expected. It ain't bad music. Actually, a couple of the tracks were pretty good. Especially the first 4-5 tracks. However, as this is supposed to be a smashing pumpkins album, it must stand comparison with earlier efforts, not just with Corgan's post-pumpkins stuff. This is the best Corgan has done for some time, but it is pretty far from the best the pumpkins have done. I for one am really bugged by the fact that he never screams anymore. He has/had one of the best screams in rock music, and have a real knack for desperate anger/angst. He hardly raises his voice throughout the record, and frankly, his voice doesn't carry it alone on the big rock numbers. If more songs had been in the vein of "bleeding the orchid" (which is a great song) it wouldn't have mattered as much.

What I'm trying to say is that it isn't a bad album, but an expected disappointingly mediocre album all told. It went out of my player again too fast and wasn't much missed, unfortunately. For those who started checking out pumpkins with this record, I can only direct you towards siamese dream and mellon collie as the real gems in the pumpkins discography. In my opinion, I'll also include Adore among the greats. Zeitgeist is quite some distance behind these efforts.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • I felt the record was as expected. Way too much as expected. It ain't bad music. Actually, a couple of the tracks were pretty good. Especially the first 4-5 tracks. However, as this is supposed to be a smashing pumpkins album, it must stand comparison with earlier efforts, not just with Corgan's post-pumpkins stuff. This is the best Corgan has done for some time, but it is pretty far from the best the pumpkins have done. I for one am really bugged by the fact that he never screams anymore. He has/had one of the best screams in rock music, and have a real knack for desperate anger/angst. He hardly raises his voice throughout the record, and frankly, his voice doesn't carry it alone on the big rock numbers. If more songs had been in the vein of "bleeding the orchid" (which is a great song) it wouldn't have mattered as much.

What I'm trying to say is that it isn't a bad album, but an expected disappointingly mediocre album all told. It went out of my player again too fast and wasn't much missed, unfortunately. For those who started checking out pumpkins with this record, I can only direct you towards siamese dream and mellon collie as the real gems in the pumpkins discography. In my opinion, I'll also include Adore among the greats. Zeitgeist is quite some distance behind these efforts.

Peace
    Dan

I agree with pretty much everything you said...

I think the new album is a really good album...but compared to SP's standards, it's definitely not the best. But there are some amazing songs on there...Bleeding The Orchid, Doomsday Clock, Starz, United States, Bring The Light. There are some good songs that at first listen made you go "what the fuck?!"...For God And Country, Pomp And Circumstances....but still a solid album.
  • I'll also include Adore among the greats.
    One of the most underrated albums ever. Funny how Radiohead didn't lose many fans when they made OK Computer and Kid A, in fact they got even more popular, but the Pumpkins were completely written off after Adore. That I will never understand. Adore is a brilliant album.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    One of the most underrated albums ever. Funny how Radiohead didn't lose many fans when they made OK Computer and Kid A, in fact they got even more popular, but the Pumpkins were completely written off after Adore. That I will never understand. Adore is a brilliant album.

Maybe I will listen to Adore tonight...
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I listened to Zeitgeist for about 2 weeks after its release (at least once a day while working)...now i'm not even listening to it.Maybe i got excited with the idea of a new cd from the Pumpkins after all these years.There are some good songs, but i'm thinking if it was a good or bad idea to use the name of the Smashing Pumpkins on this record (only Corgan and Chamberlain). I know most of the creative process comes from Corgan and maybe without the other members the music would just sound the same but..i don't know...i have the feeling that maybe it was better to be released as another proyect.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    so the new pumpkins doesn't sound like earlier pumpkins at all
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    bigbadbill wrote:
    I like this album. Who else has heard it?
    They stole a POD beat on one of their songs
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • I finally listened to the album for the first time today. It is decidely mediocre. Uninspiring. Other than a few tracks, it sounds like an album full of hollow versions of songs they've already done. I can't believe anyone would list this as the best album they've heard this year.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • it's decent..but what the fuck is billy wearing in the video for tarantula?
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I finally listened to the album for the first time today. It is decidely mediocre. Uninspiring. Other than a few tracks, it sounds like an album full of hollow versions of songs they've already done. I can't believe anyone would list this as the best album they've heard this year.

Exactly.
  • kenshunt wrote:
    so the new pumpkins doesn't sound like earlier pumpkins at all
    They sounds like the cheaper versions of themselves with a dash of Zwan, overall. Earlier stuff is way better. If you start with Zeitgeist, you may go tha way I did with Marilyn Manson. Started with Golden age of Grotesque, and though that was good, until I came across antichrist and mechanical animals. Golden age was forgotten, and I only ever listen to the others.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I really enjoy Tarantula, United States and Doomstay Clock. The rest of the album is ok but nothing special. It is Pumpkins by the numbers but overall sounds like Billy and Jimmy have lost nothing from the 1990's. Amazin gevery listen it takes me back 10 years.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • it's a great album, and even greater live.

still, it doesn't hold up with mellon collie, siamese dream, or adore...but that's pretty damn hard.

i'm a huge fan of all their music, and i'd say it's stands up quite well with gish and the machina albums.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith