Options

The Black Keys

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited April 2007 in Other Music
wow...so the other night I as watching Letterman and these guys place their new song, "Your Touch," and I was glued to the TV. Just one guitar player, and one drummer makin all that noise!

Anyways, I went and downloaded their new album, Magic Potion, and also Rubber Factory, and I have to say I love these guys. Their sound is so reminiscent of 70's blues rock that I can't get enough of it.

Thick riffs and good beats, I don't know how I overlooked these guys before. And the guitar player (don't know his name yet), is unbelievable.

Anyone else really dig these guys?
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sludawg13sludawg13 Posts: 63
    Yes, very pumped about seeing them at Lollapalooza!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    sludawg13 wrote:
    Yes, very pumped about seeing them at Lollapalooza!

me too. i have rubber factory and it is a fucking great album.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    HAve my ticket for their gig at Byron BAy in about 10 days time, small rom in a country pub, should be rockin' !!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like the black keys. i have rubber factory. not sure if the new one is as good.. ??
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    The MaestroThe Maestro Posts: 100
    I just got into them recently, too, based on their performance on Conan. Magic Potion is a brilliant album, and Rubber Factory is very good too. Are they doing a US tour soon? I need to see them soon.
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Yeah I love the Black Keys.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    HAve my ticket for their gig at Byron BAy in about 10 days time, small rom in a country pub, should be rockin' !!!

oh lucy, you lucky bastard. you'll love them. :D i'm seeing them next thursday and again the week after. havent seen them for a couple of years, so i'm pumped.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Go get Thickfreakness. I was at a bar one night seeing Kid Dakota (check them out). Between bands, the juke box was turned on, and the first song played was "Thickfreakness" off "Thickfreakness". I was blown a way. I have all their full lengths and have scene them on the first Magic Potion tour. And live is about 250,000 times better then any album could reflect.

Buy them all, and get the dvd it's also killer!!!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    kdpjam wrote:
    i like the black keys. i have rubber factory. not sure if the new one is as good.. ??

nah. the 1st album is their best, and its a sliding scale towards the most recent.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    nah. the 1st album is their best, and its a sliding scale towards the most recent.

In your opinion. I like Thickfreakness better than the first album, and I think Rubber Factory is their best. Magic Potion is great as well.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Very cool band from what I heard. What album would you recommend first?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    Thickfreakness is very good, but i don't think you'll be disappointed by any album , if u like their style. I really like that Hendrix feel they have. It's a shame they're not more well-known , first time i heard them on the radio was more than 3 years ago, and they still haven't broken America.
    Probably they don't want to be big stars, just make good music.
    It's amazing what one guitar can create huh?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    i've DL a few songs off Thickfreakness and their very cool. I saw them perform on the "Bonnaroo 2004: We have arrived" concert that plays on the Sundance channel every once and awhile. I'm definetly buying Thickfreakness soon. Great sound for a two piece band.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options

Thickfreakness to start, Rubber Factory or Magic Potion after that.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    ive only heard their last two and a few songs off thickfreakness, but as far as i can tell all their albums pretty much sound the same. just bluesy rock. not that that's bad, just that the sound isn't going to be dramatically different from album to album so buy whichever one you happen upon. i bought rubber factory becos it was in the $10 sale at virgin.
  • Options

the big come up
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    duh!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    making an awesome Black keys playlist. just random songs of theirs i have all bundled together. Sounds good.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    BK = the ruling.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    I pre-ordered their new vinyl and it showed up two days early. I wish all bands got their releases out early so they would arrive early or on time. 

Loving the new record!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Can't wait to give it a spin!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    How I have missed the Black Keys in this style!! What a killer covers record!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    edited May 2021
    How I have missed the Black Keys in this style!! What a killer covers record!
    +1 Really enjoying this one!

edit: I've seen TBK play enough thru the years that I'd kinda checked them off the list and didn't feel the need to return for more. That said, I've love to hear them play these Hill Country Blues live :sunglasses:
    Post edited by jjflash on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Delta Kream is infucking real good! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....