Options

This guy is bigger than coldplay (in england)

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited February 2006 in Other Music
did you know that james blunt's cd sold more than coldplay? i read that in parade magazine this weekend.

i only know of 1 song, i've seen him on vh-1....this one grew on me...

"You're Beautiful"

My life is brilliant.

My life is brilliant.
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

Yeah, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was,
Flying high, [ - video/radio edited version]
Fucking high, [ - CD version]
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I'm sorry, but I find it utterly dreadful. I never cease to be amazed at what takes off musically.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I find it utterly dreadful. I never cease to be amazed at what takes off musically.

i agree with the latter :D
    i usually hate vh-1.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I didnt really care for that song at first but now it grew on me...
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:
    I didnt really care for that song at first but now it grew on me...

that's what happened to me
    the article said he saw his ex with another guy and wrote that song
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    it's a good song killed by radio - I heard the rest of the album is pretty good.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• Options
    it's a good song killed by radio - I heard the rest of the album is pretty good.

yeah.
    my MOM really likes it.

No lie.
    I'd heard the damn single.
    She comes home the other day and throws it in.

She's like, "nick, listen to THIS ..."
    she gets this goober ass smile on her face ... and starts kind've dancing to it ... she's like "well, what do you think?"

i'm like ... uh ...

well ... his name is BLUNT ... that counts for something ? !?! ?

argh.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    ahh blunt i aint a fan
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    BLAH!!
    I hate his voice. I cant stand it. His songs are kinda repetative and boring (IMO)
  • Options
    not a big fan when songwriters go out of their way to be sappy and sentimental and overly sensitive in order to gain a larger fan base
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    not a big fan when songwriters go out of their way to be sappy and sentimental and overly sensitive in order to gain a larger fan base

I think that pretty much sums up my thoughts about that Blunt guy. But wait no it's that thing about his voice too, I actually thinks he sings like a goat.

It seems like he isn't that great live either, he got 0/5 when he visited sweden. That made me laugh a bit :D

Peace
    ~=Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. =~
  • Options
    yeah.
    my MOM really likes it.

LOL!!!

My daughter just bought it!!!!

It's not that bad, pretty darn mellow and not bad listening if your in the Barry Manilow kind of mood. Which I guess I can admit happens to me every once in a while. (no, I don't actually own any Barry Manilow)
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i have to admit i own back to bedlam.
    goodbye my lover sucked me in. i couldn't work it out. but then i did. but now i'm not so sure. i don't listen to the album a lot but anyway goodbye my lover is the only song i notice.
    mind you the single has a version of where is my mind that i could do without. my daughter hates it. but that's cause she's got a thing for brian molko.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i like the video........it reminds me of Coldplay's Yellow......

dont you think he sounds a lot like Rod Stewart?
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7142004942
    my pearl jam page
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I haven't heard much of the dude or the album.....but I've heard the CHORUS to that song WAY too much on radio and TV and it just annoys the crap out of me. I cannot stand it :eek:
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    to me, all his songs sound REALLY SIMILAR!
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    I think James Blunt lacks substance from what I've heard from him. After Keane and Snow Patrol came big, alot of people have decided on the formula of release a song targetted at women, and it will sell. The funny thing is, is I like Keane and Snow Patrol, I find there's more to their songs than that.
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    I think James Blunt lacks substance from what I've heard from him. After Keane and Snow Patrol came big, alot of people have decided on the formula of release a song targetted at women, and it will sell. The funny thing is, is I like Keane and Snow Patrol, I find there's more to their songs than that.

Keane bore the shit out of me personally, but i think they are a bit better than Blunt, i dont mind Spitting Games by Snow Patrol, but i think thats the only song i've heard that i like.
  • Options
    Keane bore the shit out of me personally, but i think they are a bit better than Blunt, i dont mind Spitting Games by Snow Patrol, but i think thats the only song i've heard that i like.

can't stand keane either... but i do like snow patrol and coldplay...

the thing with james blunt is that he's not very original... i think i did a bit of blunt bashing before but i'd rather listen to him than most of the other pop crap on the radio if i can't avoid it... i just think his songs all sound the same, are very safe and radio-friendly and lack substance - obviously, that's why he's big...

i heard one of his songs the other day ("higher"??) and the intro sounds like "the drugs don't work"... to me, richard ashcroft can pull it off and james blunt can't - simple as that, personal preference...

i like the occasional pop-oriented singer/songwriter but i'm looking for some depth and an artist who puts everything he's got into his music - i'm just not getting this kind of vibe from james blunt at all...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:

the thing with james blunt is that he's not very original... i think i did a bit of blunt bashing before but i'd rather listen to him than most of the other pop crap on the radio if i can't avoid it... i just think his songs all sound the same, are very safe and radio-friendly and lack substance - obviously, that's why he's big...

i heard one of his songs the other day ("higher"??) and the intro sounds like "the drugs don't work"... to me, richard ashcroft can pull it off and james blunt can't - simple as that, personal preference...

i like the occasional pop-oriented singer/songwriter but i'm looking for some depth and an artist who puts everything he's got into his music - i'm just not getting this kind of vibe from james blunt at all...

well thats the thing isnt it, you can only hear the same thing done so many times before its starts to sound bland, without sentiment and dull.
    to be fair to Snow Patrol i have only heard two songs by them:) as for Keane i've heard the whole album and dont want to experience it again.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    his voice bugs the shit out of me... he sings like a castrated ladyboy :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    his voice bugs the shit out of me... he sings like a castrated ladyboy :)

Yep. It's time for Captain Beefheart to make a comeback. I bet he could do a good cover. He might change some of the lyrics though:

My squid is luminous.
    My love is bulbous.
    I saw an ant bee boogie-in.
    Of that I'm serious.
    Jack rabbit smiled at me in the subway.
    He was with a moonbeam jellyfish.
    But I won't lose no china pig, hey,
    'Cause I've got a moustache.

You're fast and bulbous. You're fast and bulbous.
    Mascara snake, it's true.
    I saw my hog in a bluejean smog,
    A boogaloogaloo,
    I'm a trout in Katmandu.

Yeah, she munched out of a bag,
    Polyethalene.
    She could see from my dress I'm in drag,
    My underpants shining obscene.
    She's eating dough,
    Rockette Morton's eating laser beans,
    But they share a tadpole that will swim in their dreams.

Big Joan is beautiful. Big Joan is beautiful.
    her hands are small, it's true.
    I saw the blimp with a pachuco shrimp,
    Bill's corpse was turning blue.
    And his wife knew what to do.

Hair pie cuticle, hair pie cuticle ....

etc
    repeat to fade
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Chris Martin and James blunt are both wankers, in my opinion.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Can't stand James Blunt. He sounds so.....safe. There's nothing to the music. It's cheesy and lame.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    yeah when he writes a glorious put-down song like Don't think twice it's alright or sooner or later one of us must know) by Dylan, THEN I'll be interested
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Yep. It's time for Captain Beefheart to make a comeback. I bet he could do a good cover. He might change some of the lyrics though:

My squid is luminous.
    My love is bulbous.
    I saw an ant bee boogie-in.
    Of that I'm serious.
    Jack rabbit smiled at me in the subway.
    He was with a moonbeam jellyfish.
    But I won't lose no china pig, hey,
    'Cause I've got a moustache.

You're fast and bulbous. You're fast and bulbous.
    Mascara snake, it's true.
    I saw my hog in a bluejean smog,
    A boogaloogaloo,
    I'm a trout in Katmandu.

Yeah, she munched out of a bag,
    Polyethalene.
    She could see from my dress I'm in drag,
    My underpants shining obscene.
    She's eating dough,
    Rockette Morton's eating laser beans,
    But they share a tadpole that will swim in their dreams.

Big Joan is beautiful. Big Joan is beautiful.
    her hands are small, it's true.
    I saw the blimp with a pachuco shrimp,
    Bill's corpse was turning blue.
    And his wife knew what to do.

Hair pie cuticle, hair pie cuticle ....

etc
    repeat to fade
    Oh. My. God, I don't know much beefheart so I don't know if youve put some of his lyrics to that tune but if not and you came up with them by yourself, please please please release that song, it is goddamn poetry :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh. My. God, I don't know much beefheart so I don't know if youve put some of his lyrics to that tune but if not and you came up with them by yourself, please please please release that song, it is goddamn poetry :D

Let's just say I was wearing the trout mask muse. ;)
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:

shame on you :)
    i listen to pat mcgee now, a poppy kind of guy. i guess you don't want me to be your internet mom anymore!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    that's funny that someone replied to this thread and said james blunt sings like a goat.
    somebody posted on the old board that their parent thought ed sings like a goat.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    iluvcats wrote:
    that's funny that someone replied to this thread and said james blunt sings like a goat.
    somebody posted on the old board that their parent thought ed sings like a goat.
    Strange goats
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední