Wilco

Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,863
edited August 2008 in Other Music
I just got home from seeing three shows in four days.

They are incredible live

what a run, and nels cline may be my favorite lead guitarist
different from the PJ

but man this band is outstanding live

dont miss em if you have a chance to go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Agreed. My second (very close) favorite active band besides PJ. Nels Cline is a beast. Saw them in Indy last week and were fantastic as usual. Has anyone seen/heard Nels Cline's solo stuff? I hear it's pretty experimental but would love to check it out.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,863
    the solo stuff is a bit weird for my tastes

but you are right he is a beast
    I only hope he stays in the band for awhile
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Nels the Destroyer.

Love this band love them live. Wish they would come back to Atlanta.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I defy anyone to listen to At Least That's What You Said off of A Ghost is Born and tell me they sound like an artsy fartsy band. That's just a copout for people who don't like any complexity in their music. That song is straight out of Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    gabers wrote:
    I defy anyone to listen to At Least That's What You Said off of A Ghost is Born and tell me they sound like an artsy fartsy band. That's just a copout for people who don't like any complexity in their music. That song is straight out of Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.

Not to mention that you can simply go back to the 90's albums and it's clear that their roots are quite organic.

I too love the Neil Young-esque guitar on "At Least That's What You Said." The entire album is fantastic. I never understand why so many people find A Ghost Is Born off-putting. It's probably my favorite.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    I just got home from seeing three shows in four days.

They are incredible live

what a run, and nels cline may be my favorite lead guitarist
    different from the PJ

but man this band is outstanding live

dont miss em if you have a chance to go

Did you make it to the Grand Opera show in Wilmington? I live right up the street and what an amazing show in such a small beautiful place.

There is so much going on in a Wilco show. It's like an orchestra with subtle sounds blending in. I also love how they transfer notes back and forth. Nels may play a note or run of notes that the keyboard player finishes off, then it goes to Jeff's guitar. Tweedy is a pretty great guitar player in his own right, too!

One of my really good friends is their production manager, and I went to say hi to him backstage in the afternoon. I was checking out all their equipment and in wandered Jeff and Nels and the rest for a sound check. Nice nice group of guys. I had a Sun Ra tee shirt on, and after sound check, Nels came up to me and said, "Cool shirt". I told him that of all people, I knew he must have been a Sun Ra fan. We talked and laughed for like an hour and a half about jazz and he gave me a tour of his guitars and pedalboards and amps.
    I've been playing guitar all my life and when I pay Nels' guitars and pedalboard, I go doink doink doink. When HE plays it he rules the world of guitardom and he is a world class nice and funny guy.

Cline's solo stuff is so varied! He plays great jazz, and some REALLY out there stuff.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart