Wilco

Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Since the other thread got locked, a few observations

1) at a certain level, there is no "best band" PJ and wilco are professional bands and any preference is purely subjective at that level;
2) if you have never even heard of Wilco, I question your musical knowledge.I dont expect you to know the music, but if youve never heard of them then I doubt you are exposing yourself to a variety of music;
3) PJ and wilco play very different types of music, you really cant compare the two in any way shape or form;
4) there are some similarites between the two, both leaders care more about making good music, being true to the fans, and putting on a good show at a fair price than almost every other band.

PJ is relevant because they are still cranking out great music after all these years and they have done it on thier own terms

Wilco is relevant becaue they are one of the most talented and innovative acts out there right now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Wilco are innovative, but most innovative? Eh...

Anyway, here was my last reply before the other thread was locked:

Yeah, this probably should be in other music.

But I don't understand people who say Wilco isn't popular and that somehow equates to relevancy. If you reread what this guy is trying to say, it's the music that makes them relevant.

Pearl Jam, god bless them, haven't really done anything new since Binaural and parts of Riot Act. Their last album is a rehash of that classic guitar grunge sound, while not bad, really doesn't push the envelope or feel as interesting and engaging as say a No Code or Binaural. People wanted the hard, rockin' Pearl Jam back and they got it. It's just that that sound is somewhat dated nowadays.

I don't expect everyone to have heard of Wilco, but it's not like they are some super underground indie band. They are pretty popular and sell out shows just like Pearl Jam. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the most important albums of my generation. Like that one guy said, the majority of PJ fans are stuck in the early '90s and still only listen to AIC, Soundgarden, and Nirvana. I'm not saying that's bad, but expanding your horizons a bit isn't neccesarily a bad thing.
  • Did that guy ever define "relevant"? What does it mean for one band to be more relevant than another band?
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased to get tickets to Wilco this morning. May 2nd can't come soon enough!
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is so funny you post something about wilco being better then pearl jam on the porch and the thread blossoms. you post it hear and it wallows lol

Today is goign to be a great day to go home and pop in Sky Blu sky and sit on the deck and enjoy a good beer or 5.

the album has such simplistic atmosphere to it. If you don't pay attention it just sounds like simple boring music, but if you listen a little closer there is some beutiful stuff going on with that album.

Nels really helps it a lot. Even though they did not make the avant garde album people thought might be coming wiht Nels in the band Nels still makes his imprint.

I love hearing Nels & Glenn Play together.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    I caught their show at the 9:30 club in DC last month. Good show.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08