SMC: Kate Bush ~ Aerial

psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
edited August 2006 in Other Music
i wasn't sure what to put up...
indie rock, electronic music, folk or hip-hop?
an unknown artist?
old or new?

i decided to choose a relatively unknown, more or less recent album by a very well-known singer and go in the opposite musical direction than our last pick, Strapping Young Lad... after your healthy dose of heavy metal i offer you some music that can probably best be classified as ecclectic pop...
here it is, Kate Bush's eighth studio album, Aerial, released in 2005...
it's a double album and the first disc is already up at our gmail account, the second is to follow shortly... please make sure you get both parts!

info on kate bush and this album can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Bush

as usual, comments are greatly appreciated... i'll post more once the discussion gets going...
~~~
Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I haven't even read your post yet, but fucking awesome! I've been meaning to check this out- now I have a reason.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The second disc is head and shoulders above the first one.....probably Kate's best effort since Hounds of Love (released way back in 1985!?!)......
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    looking forward to delving in later ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    i hope i can get my pc back this afternoon so i can catch-up with the selections...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    tybird wrote:
    The second disc is head and shoulders above the first one...

speaking of the second disc, it's now up as well...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    perfect. an artist I would have never given a shot myself. cool.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    cool, i'm dl'ing right now and very much looking forward to it. I love me some ecclectic pop and have never heard any of her music......yet.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    alobar wrote:
    I love me some ecclectic pop and have never heard any of her music......yet.

i'm sure you have without knowing it was her...
    she had some radio hits in the 80s (even a number one)
    'wuthering heights'
    'hounds of love'
    'running up that hill'
    'babooshka'

that wikipedia link i gave in my initial post is a good read, by the way...
    ~~~

psycosmic wrote:
    i'm sure you have without knowing it was her...
    she had some radio hits in the 80s (even a number one)
    'wuthering heights'
    'hounds of love'
    'running up that hill'
    'babooshka'

that wikipedia link i gave in my initial post is a good read, by the way...
    Other albums worth checking out by Kate include:
    Hounds of Love (Running Up That Hill, Hounds of Love)
    The Kick Inside (Wuthering Heights)
    Never Forever (Babooshka)
    Lionheart (Wow)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    don't forget her suet with peter gabriel on 'don't give up'
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    brhf9 wrote:
    don't forget her suet with peter gabriel on 'don't give up'
    She also provided backing vocals on "Games without Frontiers", also by Mr. Gabriel.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Listened to this a couple of times and its unmistakable to note how much Tori Amos sounds like her. Its a very relaxing album, no great flourish. More thoughs later.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    I am glad to see that you got the relationship in the correct order..:)
    Out of curiosity- anyone try to burn these to an audio disc and have problems? Roxio just up and closes on me every time I try to load the files. Is there any DRM on these or anything?
    viggs20 wrote:
    Listened to this a couple of times and its unmistakable to note how much Tori Amos sounds like her. Its a very relaxing album, no great flourish. More thoughs later.

i haven't been in a relaxed mode lately but i do plan on getting to this!
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I've made my way through the first disc and found myself very relaxed afterwards. Bush's music is very soothing and heartfelt. The first song really stood out for me as well as the last song on disc 1. In between there I wasn't wowed or anything but I've only listened once, so I'm sure I'll be catching more of the nuances after repeated listens. Disc 2 will be next.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    AndySlash wrote:
    Out of curiosity- anyone try to burn these to an audio disc and have problems? Roxio just up and closes on me every time I try to load the files. Is there any DRM on these or anything?
    I was able to burn this to disc. I use iTunes.

I was always under the impression that Kate Bush was more akin to cheesy 80's AM christian ballads. Maybe some of her stuff is but what I have listened to so far (disc 2 on my second spin) killed that notion. This is a very pleasant listen, enjoying it plenty as I type.

More later just wanted to bump this up.
    transplant wrote:
    I was always under the impression that Kate Bush was more akin to cheesy 80's AM christian ballads
    Could please give examples of "cheesy 80's AM christian ballads"????? Can't think of anything in Kate's catalog that would fit my definition of the term.
    tybird wrote:
    Could please give examples of "cheesy 80's AM christian ballads"????? Can't think of anything in Kate's catalog that would fit my definition of the term.
    Not really, I was referring to songs like You Light Up My Life. I never heard a single song from Kate Bush until yesterday but for whatever reason, I built up this very false impression of her.
    transplant wrote:
    Not really, I was referring to songs like You Light Up My Life. I never heard a single song from Kate Bush until yesterday but for whatever reason, I built up this very false impression of her.
    I can say on good authority that you will not mistake any Kate Bush material for anything remotely similar to the song you mentioned.....
    thank you, tybird, for being the resident kate bush affectionado :)
    you're making my job of keeping the discussion going much easier...

if any of you fellow SMClubbers (that sounds so wrong, doesn't it? :D) still need to grab this you only have a limited time to do so...

what do you think of the lyrics?
    i love how she sings the number in "pi" but the washing machine really annoyed me the first time i listened to the album... however, after some time, it grew on me and i can honestly say that no one ever touched me as deeply by repeating the words "washing machine" as kate bush...
    and i'm not being sarcastic here...
    ~~~

tybird wrote:
    I can say on good authority that you will not mistake any Kate Bush material for anything remotely similar to the song you mentioned.....
    good. of course I couldn't get that damn song out of my head the moment I typed it.

Ok, many need to be in the mood to listen to metal. I need to be in the mood to listen to this. I have found the perfect time and that is early morning hours either driving into work (I have a nice leisurely drive thankfully) or just sitting with a cup of coffee. I have found that when I try to spin this early afternoon I wander way too much. Obviously her voice is simply beautiful and comforting. I haven't been in a place to really pay attention to her lyrics. I will keep my ear open for the washing machine.

I sometimes wonder why the need for tracks like #1 and 6 (on the second disc). I cannot get the thought of rising early to sit out on a deck beachside when I hear them (which is great). Perhaps they are there to get one to that type of spot. #1 to start and #6 in case you wander away. Tracks 5 and 8 are my favorites. I like her piano work.

I haven't had time unfortunately to listen to the first disc. I will for sure, just not sure when.

So.....give me one more Kate Bush disc to check out in the future, tybird, please give me one also.
    transplant wrote:
    So.....give me one more Kate Bush disc to check out in the future, tybird, please give me one also.
    Pm me and tell how to send you one.........:)
    transplant wrote:
    So.....give me one more Kate Bush disc to check out in the future

i'd say check out Hounds of Love...
    or The Whole Story which is a best of album...
    ~~~

psycosmic wrote:
    i'd say check out Hounds of Love...
    or The Whole Story which is a best of album...
    I am leaning towards Hounds of Love..........the second side (this album dates back to the days of vinyl) of songs is similar in format to disc #2 of Aerial.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Its been said already, this is a very soothing album. I like the first disc better simply because it holds my attention. By the time I get to the second disc I'm tempted to skip tracks or listen to something else. I haven't paid attention to the lyrics, Kate Bush has a fine voice but I wish she would do more with it. I can see how Tori Amos is influnenced by Kate Bush but Tori's vocal histronics and bumpy piano/organ playing style command your attention. Anyway, my favourite songs are Pi, Bertie and especially Joanie on the first disc and Prologue and Sunset on disc two.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • as everyone's said, i definitely hear how influential she is on tori amos. although i think i prefer tori to kate. my boyfriend loves this cd so he was happy as hell that i was finally giving it a chance and listening to it. i really liked "king of the mountain" and "bertie" off of disc 1. but also as has been said before, this music is very relaxing, and i relaxed my way into a nap during the second disc. i don't mean that as a slight on her work, but i don't remember much of the second disc. perhaps i'll go back and listen again when i'm more wide awake.
    Well, I'm slighlty disappointed. I'm not a Kate Bush fan, really, but I was genuinely excited to get to listen to this as I had heard good things about it and it had been on my list of things to check out for some time.

The bottom line is that there really isn't a whole lot here that grabs me and brings me into the album. It definitely is nice to have on- I don't fault the songwriting or anything like that- but it's just too similar sounding throughout and, to me, just doesn't really go anywhere over the course of the album. Some of the more bizarre lyrics are really difficult to listen to as well. I'm a math geek, so I can appreciate 'Pi', but hearing the number recited over the course of 6 minutes just got annoying, really. And the repeated 'Washing Machine' line... ugh.

Highlights on the album for me were 'King of the Mountain' and 'Sunset' which, not surprisingly, are a couple of the more upbeat tracks. I also thought the harmonizing with the bird calls in Aerial Tal/Aerial was quite fascinating. Actually, Aerial is probably a highlight, too. It was a nice finish to the record.
    i've given aerial a thorough listen today. although i am not really into her style or voice, i do appreciate kate's words and vibe. like viggs, i found myself getting bored during some of the songs and wanting to hear something else. it is the kind of music that is calming and soothing, and her lyrics are very cool. my favorite songs are king of the mountain, how to be invisible, sunset, somewhere in between, and nocturn.

thank you, psycho. ;)