SMC: Selig ~ Für immer und Selig

psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
edited July 2006 in Other Music
ok, here's an 'interim pick' until the next round of Synergy Music Club gets into full swing...

This is the 'best of' album of German band Selig, which was very popular from '93 - '97. Admittedly, the sound is a bit dated and I'm putting this up because I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. The music might not be up to everyone's tastes as it is basically poppy mid-90s rock (think of it as sandwiched between Lenny Kravitz and Spin Doctors on MTV back in the day), but not that many of you might be used to German vocals that don't employ the über-teutonic, exaggerated style of Rammstein. So here you go, this is much closer to what German really sounds like than Rammstein could ever be...

"Wenn ich wollte" was Selig's first hit single, and although i'm a straight guy, i think the vocals are quite sexy... but maybe that's just me...
You might wonder how many more cover versions of Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" we really need, but to the band's credit they only recorded it as the title song of a German movie of the same name...
"Ohne Dich" is a very bitter über-ballad which was unfortunately covered by some very very hideous bands... I think the original is very touching, might be because of the lyrics though... and I think the vocal delivery is top...
"Ist es wichtig?" was another hit single...
The last track, "Du kennst mich nicht", isn't on this album but I just HAD to include it on a Pearl Jam message board... if you don't have the time to listen to the whole album but feel like bashing this band for a blatant rip-off just listen to this last track... I don't think I have to say any more, after a couple of seconds you'll know what I'm on about ;)

Since this is a 'best of' collection it focuses more on Selig's more mainstream tracks... I'm really not a fan of all of it, but some of the songs grew on me...
they disbanded in 1997, but the singer, Jan Plewka, has some singer-songwriter stuff and a new band called TempEau, which is more garage rock/punk... the thing I most enjoyed about Selig was his voice anyway...

comments welcome...
~~~
Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    yousendit is taking ages...
    i'm currently on 50% so give it another hour...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I'll get it tonight.

For the newcomers, check your PM box for info on how to grab this.
    ok, you can find the file at the usual place now...
    ~~~

• brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    how can i heard this?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    brhf9 wrote:
    how can i heard this?
    sorry, a couple people didn't get the PM's. check them now and let me know if you encounter any problems.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    transplant wrote:
    sorry, a couple people didn't get the PM's. check them now and let me know if you encounter any problems.

ok. thanks.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Ich downloade dieses morgen.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    psycosmic wrote:
    The last track, "Du kennst mich nicht", isn't on this album but I just HAD to include it on a Pearl Jam message board... if you don't have the time to listen to the whole album but feel like bashing this band for a blatant rip-off just listen to this last track... I don't think I have to say any more, after a couple of seconds you'll know what I'm on about ;)
    No...you don't. It's not a blatant rip-off, its an homage! Anyone see Eastwoods the Dead Pool? eh, anyway.

I think this will be an entertaining listen. got the first half down, just kinda bopping my head back and forth.
    transplant wrote:
    No...you don't. It's not a blatant rip-off, its an homage! Anyone see Eastwoods the Dead Pool? eh, anyway.

I think this will be an entertaining listen. got the first half down, just kinda bopping my head back and forth.

i'd like to hear pearl jam tag the heavy part... would be fun to hear ed fuck up german lyrics :)

i think the link will be active for one more day... so grab it if you want...
    ~~~

What I am taking from Selig is this. I now really have no issue with listening to bands outside my comfort zone (english). I can totally see myself making up my own lyrics on plenty of these songs.

I don't mind the Knocking on Heavens Door cover. I think it is nicely done. Though I have never understood why that Dylan song gets the most coverage. Great song and all but I could name 350 songs I like better. anyway....

I will admit that the ballad type songs are still a little more difficult to get through without being distracted by the lyrics, I will work on that.

So all in all, a nice listen. No pretense, just good mainstream pop. Guy has a great voice.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Agree with transplant about the propensity of bands to cover Knockin' on Heaven's Door...its been done to death.
    I enjoyed 'Kleine Schwester' and 'Mädchen auf dem Dach' the most...nothing much to say about the music. You're right psycosmic it was a nice change to hear German music that is not kraut-rock, electronica or metal but simple pop.
    By the way, are the lyrics to 'Du Kennst Mich Nicht' also like Release ?
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    viggs20 wrote:
    By the way, are the lyrics to 'Du Kennst Mich Nicht' also like Release ?

no they are nothing like 'release'... they are a bit vague... but the chorus goes "du kennst mich nicht, doch ich liebe dich" which translates as "you don't know me but i love you"...
    the lyrics are actually much better than you might think from this bit... not at all "hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name" ;)
    ~~~

thanks for the replies!

kdpjam didn't get it the first time around so i re-uploaded the files... if anyone else still wants this just pm me for the link...
    ~~~

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    thanks for reposting this, psycosmic. there are some great songs on here that i will want to listen to again. catchy. i'm a big word and meaning person, so... i guess i need to learn a little german ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    kdpjam wrote:
    thanks for reposting this, psycosmic. there are some great songs on here that i will want to listen to again. catchy. i'm a big word and meaning person, so... i guess i need to learn a little german ;)

you're welcome :)
    i can't translate all the lyrics, of course, but here are the titles even if those not always really tell you what the song is about...

1. Wenn ich wollte - If I Wanted To
    2. Popstar (goes home)
    3. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    4. Sie zieht aus - She Moves Out
    5. Bruderlos - Brotherless
    6. Sie hat geschrien - She screamed
    7. Kleine Schwester - Little Sister
    8. Ohne Dich - Without You
    9. Ist es wichtig? (Wichtig ist nix Mix) - Is it important? (Nothing's important Mix)
    10. Mädchen auf dem Dach - Girl on the Roof
    11. So träume ich - So I dream
    12. Die Besten - The Best
    13. Nach Hause - Going Home
    14. Regenbogenleicht - Light as a Rainbow
    15. Du kennst mich nicht - You don't know me
    ~~~