Neil young @ the fillmore...

NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
edited November 2006 in Other Music
yeah, so this pretty much kicks ass...insane jams and rocking out to a high degree...damn good stuff!!! and this is only the beginning of the archives project...
6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    oh my god.

Live 1970 is the greatest Neil live release ever.

EVER.

I'm pretty sure I creamed myself after that 16 minute Cowgirl in the Sand
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am a big neil young fan so it hurts me to say this but i was disapointed with this release.

It is not the whole show. none of the acoustic set is included and cinnamon girl is missing due to poor audio. Which i understand, but the cd is only 6 songs long. Two of which cowgirl in the sand and come on baby lets go downtown have been released already.

After waiting SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long for the archives to be released i wish it would have been a little different.

That being said the sound quality is awesome and the songs that are on there are very good and that is a great thing.

I'm happy with the purchase, but i was hoping for a little more.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    You'll have to wait a little longer for the full box set. From the NY Times:

"Next in the archival series will be another single-disc live recording, again from the early ’70s, due in early 2007. It will be followed (in the fall) by the first of several box sets, an eight-disc compilation covering 1963 to 1971, made up of all kinds of tracks, released, unreleased and live"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/13/arts/music/13choi.html?_r=1&ref=music&oref=slogin

I'm picking this release up today. The funny thing is, if you watch this trailer for the fillmore release:

http://www.neilyoung.com/archives/fillmore-east/fillmoretrailer_qt.html

They were working on it in 1997! Leave it to Neil to wait that long to commercially release it.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    intodeep wrote:
    I am a big neil young fan so it hurts me to say this but i was disapointed with this release.

It is not the whole show. none of the acoustic set is included and cinnamon girl is missing due to poor audio. Which i understand, but the cd is only 6 songs long. Two of which cowgirl in the sand and come on baby lets go downtown have been released already.

After waiting SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long for the archives to be released i wish it would have been a little different.

That being said the sound quality is awesome and the songs that are on there are very good and that is a great thing.

I'm happy with the purchase, but i was hoping for a little more.

When was Cowgirl In The Sand from March 1970 released before this disc?
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    Yefa wrote:
    When was Cowgirl In The Sand from March 1970 released before this disc?

you know i was just checking and i may be wrong i thought for sure it was either on R&R cowboy or A Perfect Echo, but i took a quick look and i think the version i have is actually from the same year but the New York Show. Last night while listening to the CD i would have bet my life that i heard it before. It is quite similar to the New York Performance i have, but i stand corrected.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    those are both bootlegs, not official releases. also, the fillmore east is in new york. i'm pretty sure i've heard this version of "cowgirl" before, but the rest are new to me.

Versions of all of these songs from March 1970 at the Fillmore East are in circulation, but not necessarily these exact versions. What's the deal with Best Buy? I just checked their site and none of their stores anywhere near me have the DVD version. I guess I'll have to order it online.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Winterlong, Cinnamon Girl, and Cowgirl In The Sand on the Perfect Echo bootleg are from the March 6, 1970 boot. So some of the versions on this release are going to be the same, just better sound quality.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    merkinball wrote:
    You'll have to wait a little longer for the full box set. From the NY Times:

"Next in the archival series will be another single-disc live recording, again from the early ’70s, due in early 2007. It will be followed (in the fall) by the first of several box sets, an eight-disc compilation covering 1963 to 1971, made up of all kinds of tracks, released, unreleased and live"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/13/arts/music/13choi.html?_r=1&ref=music&oref=slogin

I'm picking this release up today. The funny thing is, if you watch this trailer for the fillmore release:

http://www.neilyoung.com/archives/fillmore-east/fillmoretrailer_qt.html

They were working on it in 1997! Leave it to Neil to wait that long to commercially release it.

so what's the next single show release gonna be?? probably that solo acoustic show from toronto '71 that he's been talking about...any other hints??
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    NewJPage wrote:
    so what's the next single show release gonna be?? probably that solo acoustic show from toronto '71 that he's been talking about...any other hints??

Whats odd is that the Toronto '71 show was supposedly scheduled to be the first release at one point. Then it got scrapped, but a soundboard copy of the show started circulating shortly afterwards. Sounds good too!

• I'm fascinated by the lineup for those shows - Steve Miller Band, Miles Davis Quintet, Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

The album sounds amazing. The guitar solos on Down By The River are absolutely mind-blowing.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    i can't listen to down by the river yet. i am afraid i will like it too much and lose my mind.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds?defaultTab=11

free stream.

** edit - 4 minutes into down by the river...wow...another 8 minutes of this? sweet ***
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    What with there only being 6 songs? anyway its pretty kick arse stuff infact the most dirgiest (is that a word) Neil Young was ever. Lets see if Young's archives can outlast Dylan's bootleg series.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • on the cover of the album, it it lists the disc as disc2 of the Archives Performance Series....what was disc 1?
    username wrote:
    on the cover of the album, it it lists the disc as disc2 of the Archives Performance Series....what was disc 1?

I'm not sure, but dont' worry you did not miss it. It has not come out yet. He is releasing another disc in Feb of 07 and perhaps that will be disc 1. Only thing i can think of is he is setting it up for chronological order... but i know that when the box set comes out it is going to have stuff back to 1963 ..... soooo i'm not sure.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • grace6697 wrote:
    i can't listen to down by the river yet. i am afraid i will like it too much and lose my mind.

After the first solo, they come back and sing the chorus, then go back into another solo, around the 6 minute mark... :eek: that's the part where it goes to a whole other level. Wow. That's gotta be Danny Whitten playing; it doesn't sound like Neil. Holy frigging cripes.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Yup Danny Whitten was AMAZING.. died of a heroin overdose as most of you probably know.. which is where the inspiration for Tonights The Night came from.. I am loving this release!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    The Winterlong on this is freaking amazing.

I think the Cowgirl in the Sand is from the March 6 show. I know I've heard it before.

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    merkinball wrote:
    The Winterlong on this is freaking amazing.

I think the Cowgirl in the Sand is from the March 6 show. I know I've heard it before.

I've always loved Winterlong.. could never understand why it was only a B-Side.. Pixies do a nice cover of it
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Here's the deal:
    Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown: The same performance that's on the Tonight The Night record, but unedited. The TTN version has about 10-15 seconds of instrumental removed in the middle of the song. You can hear that most of Neil's guitar fills are exactly the same, except with some extras thrown in.
    Cowgirl in the Sand: The same, unedited performance that is on A Perfect Echo and Rock and Roll Cowboy, both bootleg collections. There has always been some confusion as to the date as there were 4 shows in that two-day stretch. However, the official release is dated correctly.

Neil Young Archives Performance Series disc 1: It has been hinted by Neil for a while that he intends to release one of the solo Riverboat shows from 1969 (just as he has talked about this Fillmore show for years). This is what I (and others) believe disc 1 will be. But of course, you never can be sure what's coming next with Neil.

Bottom Line: The show is terrific and I can't believe the day has finally arrived that Neil has started releasing archival material. Can't wait until the next release.
    Also, anybody see on the DVD extras that video of the London Sympohony Orchestra sessions with Neil and Jack Nitzsche (A Man Needs A Maid and There's A World) will be released on Archives Vol. 1? I believe it's in Jack's biography section. That is great news.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
    hailhail82 wrote:

Neil Young Archives Performance Series disc 1: It has been hinted by Neil for a while that he intends to release one of the solo Riverboat shows from 1969

If it is the riverboat show i am drooling. I've dreamed about hearing that :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I allready had the bootleg of this show, but on CD now with a dvd is just great! My fav on this album will be Winterlong. I LOVE THE DAMN SONG :D

Please, please open some more archives with live shows. Really nice would be the 3hour set of NY and Crazy Horse in Ahoy' Rotterdam on july 24 2001 on CD/DVD with Astrid and Peggy on backing vocals....

And why not the complete unplugged show including the outtakes like Sample and Hold, Dreamin' Man, Winterlong and others
    I allready had the bootleg of this show, but on CD now with a dvd is just great! My fav on this album will be Winterlong. I LOVE THE DAMN SONG :D

Please, please open some more archives with live shows. Really nice would be the 3hour set of NY and Crazy Horse in Ahoy' Rotterdam on july 24 2001 on CD/DVD with Astrid and Peggy on backing vocals....

And why not the complete unplugged show including the outtakes like Sample and Hold, Dreamin' Man, Winterlong and others

Lets see, its 2006 and he just released a show from 1970. So the Ahoy show should get officially released around 2037.

There are excellent boots (both audio and DVD) of the Ahoy show floating around. PM me and I can help you find a copy.