Options

Zombie by Cranberries covered

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I was listening to the radio and I heard this awful cover of Zombie by the Cranberries. I don't know who it was, but it's sad that some unkown band has to use another band's hit to make it on the radio.
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    I was listening to the radio and I heard this awful cover of Zombie by the Cranberries. I don't know who it was, but it's sad that some unkown band has to use another band's hit to make it on the radio.

I agree but unfortunately it seems to be happening more and more these days. Zombie is a great song and it saddens me also that someone thinks they can find instant success by releasing an already well known and loved song.
    Hopefully anyone with taste will recognise this and the cover will fall flat on it's re-hashed face.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I drunkenly sang Zombie in a duet with a friend on Singstar for the PS2 the other day :p Frigging hard to do those weird vocal inflections at the end of the lines, especially when drunk.

So I bet this one on the radio wasn't as bad as mine :D but yeah, assuming this is a new band, they should really try building a reputation on their own songs first.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Not to hijack but the cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" by Fred Durst - not good. I agree, I think it's a cheap and easy way to stardom.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    gabers wrote:
    Not to hijack but the cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" by Fred Durst - not good. I agree, I think it's a cheap and easy way to stardom.
    I'm pretty sure Limp Bizkit were HUGE before they did that abortion of a cover.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    yea that Fred Durst version sucked, esp that part where the guitar solo is supposed to be, he replace it with a female robot voice spelling Limp.

there was also a cover of Skynyrd's "Simple Man" by like Seether or Shinedown or something that was pretty terrible.
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    oh my do I love that song. hopefully I never hear this cover.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    there was also a cover of Skynyrd's "Simple Man" by like Seether or Shinedown or something that was pretty terrible.
    Shinedown though I thought the cover was excellent. Same applies though, don't use a cover as your introduction to the world. Weak.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    transplant wrote:
    Shinedown though I thought the cover was excellent. Same applies though, don't use a cover as your introduction to the world. Weak.
    I enjoyed Shinedown's Simple Man cover as well. The guy has some pipes.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Why would anyone wanna cover that song? The original was bad enough.
    In fact, The Cranberries sucked, period.
  • Options
    are you guys kidding about that Shinedown - Simple Man cover? that is the worst cover i've ever heard. he completely ruins that song from start to finish. terrible terrible voice. He sounds like he's dying. I can't say enough bad things about that cover.
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i prefer the shinedown version over the original
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Why would anyone wanna cover that song? The original was bad enough.
    In fact, The Cranberries sucked, period.

yea i remember listening to them a lot back in the day, but now when i put on the cd im like "what was i thinkg?"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Limp Bizkit were HUGE before they did that abortion of a cover.

Well, maybe not in Ingerland, but here in the US of A Limp Bizkit was huge on the "new rock" radio stations. Oh yeah, and who can forget their version of "Faith". I gotta have FAAAAAAIIIIITTTHHHH!!!!!!!! Uggggghhhhhhh!
  • Options
    IlovveePJIlovveePJ Posts: 145
    hodge wrote:
    i prefer the shinedown version over the original
    Agreed.
    Cincinnati. 6.24.06 Portland. 7.20.06 Gorge I. 7.22.06 London. 6.18.07
    Lollapalooza. 8.5.07 West Palm Beach. 6.11.08 Bonnaroo. 6.14.08
    Hartford. Mansfield.

www.myspace.com/lkatmeimsandrab
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I really don't see how anyone can like Shinedowns version of Simple Man! He totally ruins the whole song with his AWFUL vocals, especially at the end. BTW, Skynyrd had more talent in the pinky fingers than shinedown will ever have. I don't see how everyone likes Shinedown, and then say that they hate Nickelback, Three Days Grace, and bands alike.
  • Options
    You're right, shinedown sucks.

also, i remember when Last Kiss came out, some people i know thought it was a new band.
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I really don't see how anyone can like Shinedowns version of Simple Man! He totally ruins the whole song with his AWFUL vocals, especially at the end. BTW, Skynyrd had more talent in the pinky fingers than shinedown will ever have. I don't see how everyone likes Shinedown, and then say that they hate Nickelback, Three Days Grace, and bands alike.
    I don't think anyone in this thread claimed to like Shinedown (nothing wrong if you do) or think that Shinedown have more talent than Skynyrd. I have never heard a single song from them other than this cover.

I will admit to being baffled a touch on how some think his voice completely sucks.
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:

thank you! no range at all. its the same monotone yell all the way through the song, and by the end he's just howling. His voice cant handle what he's trying to make it do.
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    I don't know anything about Shinedown, but the Deftones' cover of "Simple Man" is one of my all-time favorite covers ever. The way they slowed it down and put that really haunting vibe on it that Deftones do best......just great stuff.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    gabers wrote:

eh..that sucked.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Zombie was an annoying song yeah, but their debut album was beautiful melancholy all the way.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    Zombie was an annoying song yeah, but their debut album was beautiful melancholy all the way through.

I 100% agree. I still go back to it when the mood suits me. Actually, aside from Zombie, I think their second album was great too. It's funny, I used to really like Zombie, but when it comes on these days I'll skip it.
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I don't know anything about Shinedown, but the Deftones' cover of "Simple Man" is one of my all-time favorite covers ever. The way they slowed it down and put that really haunting vibe on it that Deftones do best......just great stuff.

Agreed, this is an example of a good cover.
  • Options
    link to the Deftones cover of SKynard... love it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hpBQQi9U0yQ