Metallica - DEATH MAGNETIC

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited June 2008 in Other Music
http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=600961

new album name: DEATH MAGNETIC

also here's a review from Kerrang!
http://www2.kerrang.com/2008/06/metallica_preview_new_album_in.html

Metallica preview new album in London

Metallica held a very special listening session for the forthcoming, as-yet-untitled ninth album last week in London, where members of the press were treated to six of the album’s ten tracks. K! was there and we’re happy to report it RULES!

The metal kings have been hard at work with producer par excellence Rick Rubin (Slayer / System Of A Down / Red Hot Chili Peppers / Trouble) on the follow-up to 2003's St Anger. The results, predictably, are very heavy, and very metal.

"It's definitely Metallica, that I can tell you," commented drummer Lars Ulrich at a press conference last month. "There's a lot of variation, a lot of fast, slow, melodic... kind of hardcore, nutty super-fast speed stuff. It's a little more like how some of the earlier records were a little more dynamic within the songs."

There's no confirmed track names yet (or, at least, we hope Flamingo isn't a real title), but if you want to check out snippets of Metallica in the studio, head over to http://www.missionmetallica.com. Meanwhile, here's five things you'll find on the new album...

GUITAR SOLOS!
After abandoning the art of shredding entirely in favour of wet guitars and a drumkit made of dustbins on St Anger, we’re proud to report that Kirk Hammett’s trademark greased-lightning solos are firmly back in place. Hooray!

METAL THRASHING MADNESS!
It must have stuck in James Hetfield’s craw to see the young bucks in Municipal Waste, Evile and Gama Bomb trying to nick his King Of The Riff crown from him. So, to remind these little gits exactly who it was who had a hand kickstarting the thrash movement, on the new record there’s a cavalcade of mental mosphpit moments, as well as the man declaring himself a “heavy metal riff machine”.

DARK LYRICS!
“Sunshine never comes”. “Show your scars”. “|Suicide, I’ve already died!”. On the new album, James Hetfield’s once again dealing with some serious stuff in his lyrics, making for some decidedly dark phrases. But it’s not all doom and gloom, he also declares that he’s “Up from the wreckage one more time”. After St Anger, ‘Tallica sure are.

LABYRINTHINE ARRANGEMENTS!
Placing dozens of riffs into maze-like arrangements and joining them up with cunning, tricky fills is essential to making classics like Master of Puppets twist and turn. Once again, Metalllica stick two fingers up to verse/chorus/verse and drop a cunningly designed carpet-bomb of riffola on us. Superb.

ULTRA-HEAVY PRODUCTION
Rick Rubin’s CV includes twiddling the knobs for Slayer, Mayhem, System of A Down and Trouble. If there’s an expert of heavy, it’s him, and he’s done a sterling job ensuring that ‘Tallica’s new album is heavier than a pregnant hippo. Although it’s much, much faster than that.
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cool i hope its good and i have a feeling it will be more like the black album then st anger but im still not getting my hopes up.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    According to the recent Rolling Stone review, they swear it will be more on par with their first two albums, Kill em All and Ride the Lightning. I think that's a good career move for them. Even the hardcore Metallica fans were not taking them seriously any more.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    just want something from LOAD. Best album of theirs.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    I BrisK I wrote:

LOAD is there best album???

Puppets, Lightning, Justice, Black, Kell Em All are all much better than LOAD. Like 100 times better.

I hope this new album sounds like the older stuff.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    I like Load a lot too. Not my favourite though.
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    I BrisK I wrote:

Seriously? Not dogging your opinion but it isn't even in their top 4 or 5.
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    gabers wrote:
    According to the recent Rolling Stone review, they swear it will be more on par with their first two albums, Kill em All and Ride the Lightning. I think that's a good career move for them. Even the hardcore Metallica fans were not taking them seriously any more.

god i hope so... Metallica's first 3 albums are all masterpieces... the last 4 or so sucked, and i have been a fan of theirs since 1983.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    weren't the reviews before st. anger's release kind of the same? i'll listen and i hope it lives up to the hype, but if i get burned again, i'll never buy another album from them again.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    weren't the reviews before st. anger's release kind of the same? i'll listen and i hope it lives up to the hype, but if i get burned again, i'll never buy another album from them again.

At first that was my concern too, but there are two huge differences:

1. The early St. Anger returns talked about the music being maddeningly fast and aggressive, but little else. Fans took this to mean the songs were like the older songs as opposed to the Load era tracks. That was our own inference and we were wrong. :( The new comments - including those from Lars himself - talk about melody, structure, a sound that harkens back to the pre-Black Metallica. Also Lars has commented on the epic-length tunes.

2. Rick Rubin.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    I don't care what its like as long as it is different just a little.I've been a die hard Metallica fan since 1986.Personally I loved what they did at The Bridge School Benefit last October.I think they should mix it up at their shows and play some acoustic rock sets in the middle somewhere.Or at least just some of those songs electric.I Just Want To Celebrate was cool as fuck.Anyway,P.J at Va Beach tomorrow!!!!!!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    awesome, my hopes are up.....this is gonna be a good one. they deserve to be back in form.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    LOAD is there best album???

Puppets, Lightning, Justice, Black, Kell Em All are all much better than LOAD. Like 100 times better.

I hope this new album sounds like the older stuff.

I feel Load is underrated, but it's still not as good as Puppets, Lighting, or Justice.

I do listen to it more than the Black Album, though.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Let's hope this release can wipe St. Anger off the face of the earth for good. What a horrible album that was.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Agree, St.Anger was just awful. You can tell the band feels the same due to not even playing one single song from the album live the past 2 years.

The review from Kerrang sounds consistant with what the band has been saying. 7 min songs, solos, riff after riff. Isnt this what made us love them in the first place?

I love how they are playing more Load/Re-Load songs this year on tour.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    this album sounds like it's gonna kick ass.finally the solos are back!!!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    So its basically metallicas second coming. The same how avocado was supposed to be for pearl jam...

well see.....
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    maybe just maybe rick rubin will work his magic yet again

also, worse title ever
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    maybe just maybe rick rubin will work his magic yet again

also, worse title ever

I agree with you about Rick Rubin, but not about the title. To me, it totally sounds like a real fuckin metal album. It kinda reminds me of something Megadeth would have come up with. Anyways, i like it, that title is BRUUUUTAAAL!!
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I don't think Rick Rubin is capable of fucking up. He is the greatest producer to ever live.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Agree. Example: Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Maybe the greatest album ever?
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Agree. Example: Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Maybe the greatest album ever?
    Erm, no. I didn't like the mixing or production on that album, but then again I don't like the production on any Chilis albums except One Hot Minute so meh. Rubin also overproduced the hell out of Out Of Exile by Audioslave. I did like his work on RATM's Renegades and the System Of A Down stuff though.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    if it is anything ala Kill/Ride/Puppets I am so happy

that review of no solos and dust bin drums for st anger...priceless.

seriously Metallica without KH solos is like PB&J with no P or J

METAL UP YOUR ASS PUSSIES
  • Options
    Metallica have revealed that they plan to release new album 'Death Magnetic' in a very special, limited-edition boxset.

The boxset in question will contain the digipack CD version of 'Death Magnetic', a CD of demo versions for all of the songs on 'Death Magnetic', a making of the album DVD, a 'Death Magnetic' t-shirt that won't be available anywhere else, a 'Death Magnetic' flag and collection of guitar picks and a coffin-shaped box that will hold of these items and USB stick with the Metallica logo on it.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Let's hope this release can wipe St. Anger off the face of the earth for good. What a horrible album that was.
    ..and that horrible song from the Mission Impossible (II?) soundtrack....the worst Metallica song.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I don't think Rick Rubin is capable of fucking up. He is the greatest producer to ever live.
    ha.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Missionmetallica.com

If you are inclined to pre-order the album you can check out some studio clips and riffs.....I've been impressed with what I've heard, but it comes in bits and pieces. I do hear some good ol' riffage coming through from Mr. Hammett though. I think they are ready for a comeback
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all