Options

Kiss

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I never heard much of their music until I started playing Guitar Hero. My 4 year old nephew loves to watch me play "rock n roll all nite" and i have to play it over and over and over just to keep him entertained. anyways, that and "stutter" seem to be okay songs, but they really sound like cheesy frat boy party songs. so, are KISS to be taken seriously as musical masters? are there any songs that are more than "butt rock"*?

* "Butt rock" was a term used by Kim Thayil to describe this type of music.
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Terrible, terrible band. Have a listen to the song "Lick It Up" and tell me that it doesn't make you throw up in your mouth a little.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    lots of butt rock. but then again, everyone needs a little butt rock in their lives. i am by no means a Kiss expert but i do LOVE the following songs:

Black Diamond
    Strutter
    Love Gun
    God Of Thunder
    Cold Gin
    I Was Made For Loving You
    I Love It Loud
    Detroit Rock City
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    JWBusher wrote:
    Terrible, terrible band. Have a listen to the song "Lick It Up" and tell me that it doesn't make you throw up in your mouth a little.
    not as bad as "Let's Put The X in Sex".
  • Options
    Well i used to be a member of kiss army back in high school :/ I used to love them, but now that im older, i really have no care for them...theyre music really wasnt that good, i think i just liked it in high school because it was our party music.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Yea, lord knows I tried to like KISS back in the day, but just couldn't bring myself to any form of sustained listening. Their makeup is cool though, which is probably the extent of their greatness...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I think KISS is just OK, after you get past the spectacle that is KISS there is not too much substance or quality left, however, they do have some pretty catchy and entertaining songs... I own a few of their albums and just consider them a "fun" band... "butt rock" is very funny btw.

Anyone who takes them seriously... well I feel bad for you...

Also, I'm not fond of Gene Simmons, he's a pretty big asshole from what I gather..
  • Options
    What pisses me off about Gene Simmons is that he acts like he's the biggest rock star that ever lived, when in fact he has no talent and his whole success is a big fluke. If it was Jagger or Keef or McCartney acting like a dick, it wouldn't bother me because they deserve that kind of respect. Gene Simmons doesn't. He should get together with Ted Nugent and start a band called "Douchebag".
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    What pisses me off about Gene Simmons is that he acts like he's the biggest rock star that ever lived, when in fact he has no talent and his whole success is a big fluke. If it was Jagger or Keef or McCartney acting like a dick, it wouldn't bother me because they deserve that kind of respect. Gene Simmons doesn't. He should get together with Ted Nugent and start a band called "Douchebag".
    That's true. Both he and Ted Nugent are about the biggest douchebags in the music world. I saw Ted Nugent last year...why I'm not really sure...but it was by far one of the worst concerts i've ever been to. I hate concerts that are just noise.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    ive never really liked KISS, but it is what it is. fun to sing to, not to be taken too seriously.

i was made for lovin you is pretty sweet.

i like love gun too.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I really dont like them but they tried the whole 90s thing and their album "carnival of souls" is really quite good.

So check it out.

But yeah just too cheesey, take away the fireworks and LED's there isn't much left.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Kiss, back in the day, were an awesome rock and roll band. They were what they were and there wasn't an ounce of pretension about them. ACE FREHLEY was/is/always will be a GUITAR GOD and that band wrote great rock and roll songs.

I can't pick a favorite rock song ever, but I can pick three. They are:

Deuce (the Alive! version) - Kiss
    Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
    Given To Fly - Pearl Jam
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Remember, this is a band started by a couple of guys from Brooklyn who wanted to get laid. If this band came out now they'd probably go nowhere. But they came out in the 70s and rode their success throughout the 80s.

So the OP is right, it's butt rock. But that's okay.

I was about to say that Kiss has never tried to be about anything else, but that's not true. They tried disco (I Was Made For Loving You) and prog rock (Music From The Elder). They're not bastions of integrity, but if there's a market for a Kiss coffin then I can't blame them for exploiting it.

Despite that, I think some of their songs are pretty good fun. I liked 80s Kiss like Tears Are Falling and Heaven's On Fire.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    That's right; not every band has to write songs about saving the world or how depressed they are. Some bands write songs about how good life is, or how it feels to be coming of age, getting that woman you always wanted, or how Friday night feels with a whole weekend ahead of you.
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Ok, so i guess i shouldn't really try to persue more Kiss. Doesn't seem to have enough substance, either lyrically or musically for my tastes. anyway I thought I would post that Kim Thayil quote about Butt Rock. I don't know if he invented that word, but he used it when talking about the SG song "Big Dumb Sex."

" Hiro, our bass player at the time, hated that song. He thought it was obnoxious butt rock, a total rock'n'roll cliché. We tried to explain to him that the song was making fun of butt rock. We were fed up with bands beating about the bush, just using euphemisms and metaphors for the sex act. We thought we'll ditch all the euphemisms and say what all the disco dance bands had been trying to say for a decade. We were simply trying to kick all the lame-ass rock'n'roll and dance music of the '80s and late '70s in the butt. It's a parody of the whole genre of stupid rock." - KT
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    Get the Alive! album from 1975. It smokes.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    KISS is about letting loose and having a good time. Beyond Gene and Paul, there have been some very good musicians that have put their time in with the band.

It may be the same show every time you see it, but they do put on on helluva spectacle.

For Example: Shock Me!

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Kiss is all about good fun. It's party music, meant to be listened to in the summer with loads of mates.

My 15 year old loves em and he has imppecable taste in music ;)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09