The Flaming Lips

BrezBrez Posts: 570
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Heard about them, never heard them though. They any good? What album do you like most? etc. The usual questions...
And before his first step... He's off again...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• theyre one of the best bands around right now.

yoshimi is my favorite album, followed by the soft bulletin, then at war with the mystics. you really cant go wrong with anything of theirs though.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • One of my favorite bands!

Yoshimi and War with the Mystics are my favorite albums over all. Soft Bulletin has some of their best songs on it though....Waiting For Superman, Race For the Prize, A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, The Gash

And their live show is unlike anything you've ever seen or heard before...lots of crowd interaction and craziness!
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Thanks guys, looks like I gotta go pick up some Flaming Lips cd's!
  • Some of their best songs:

Fight Test
    Ego Trippin' At the Gates of Hell
    Ego Trippin' at the Gates of Hell (Self-Admiration Eith Blow Up Mix) (this is the song that got me into them)
    Do You Realize?
    The Gash
    She Don't Use Jelly
    The W.A.N.D
    My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion
    When Yer Twenty Two
    Slow Nerve Action
    Turn It On
    The Wizard Turns On
    In The Morning of the Magicians
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Brez wrote:
    They play summerfest every year and it's always packed.
  • i would recommend the yoshimi or soft bulletin albums with the surround sound dvd. just fantastic!

but on a side note, everytime i hear of the flaming lips it reminds me of one of my favoriate songs from back in the day. I loved this song when it came out, don't know why, i just did and i still do. they have progressed like no other i've seen.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0EiPomK_9o
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    My favorite live band around now!
    When you see them, it's like a combination of a midnight show of Rocky Horror Picture Show, David Bowie, and Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure all rolled into one. They definitely love what they're doing!

Yoshimi is a good one to start with, but all the CD's are good in some way.

If you want to try something REALLY different, get ZAIREEKA
    It's 4 CD's that are meant to be played simultaneously on 4 CD players. (We did it with 4 cars in a parking garage under construction) It'll blow your mind! They take into consideration that the CD's aren't going to line up perfectly, and the chaos that results is a lot of fun!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I enjoy the Flaming Lips, but I do have a question for those that have seen the live show. Does it bug you that Wayne carries around a guitar and pretends to play it? I was watching a performance and he was wailing away on the guitar, but there were no chord changes and he was way off rhythm. I thought that was kinda cheesy. Just put down the guitar and sing!
    NERDS!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The music in She Dont Use Jelly sounds great but the vocals and lyrics dont do it for me and as far as their concerts go, Ill go to the circus or watch sesame street if I wanna see a bunch of people dressed up in costumes
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • If you want to try something REALLY different, get ZAIREEKA
    It's 4 CD's that are meant to be played simultaneously on 4 CD players. (We did it with 4 cars in a parking garage under construction) It'll blow your mind! They take into consideration that the CD's aren't going to line up perfectly, and the chaos that results is a lot of fun!

I have been wanting to try that so badly but haven't gotten around to it!
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love most of their music, and there are some songs i could do without...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    i would recommend the yoshimi or soft bulletin albums with the surround sound dvd. just fantastic!

I'll second that. The Mystics DVD is excellent too. I'd say the Yoshimi DVD is the best, the Mystics DVD is second, and then Soft Bulletin DVD mix.

I've really gotten back into the Priest Driven Ambulance disc lately (Re-released as The Day They Shot a Hole in the the Jesus Egg). Some amazing songs on that disc, Shine On Sweet Jesus, Mountain Song, Unconciously Screaming. Incredibly heavy stuff.

I'd suggest you check out the Fearless Freaks DVD too, and they are putting out a live DVD in July.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I enjoy the Flaming Lips, but I do have a question for those that have seen the live show. Does it bug you that Wayne carries around a guitar and pretends to play it? I was watching a performance and he was wailing away on the guitar, but there were no chord changes and he was way off rhythm. I thought that was kinda cheesy. Just put down the guitar and sing!
    I've never seen them, but this has always bugged me about them as well. Wayne completely sells out to the idea that a concert should be 100% entertainment value and he pushes the music to the background. It is a very unique idea, I would love to see it in action just to form an opinion on it, but it has always struck me as being a bit "fake" to me. Is it worth seeing a band live when so much of the music is pre-recorded? I hear they are great, so it must be a fun spectical to see, but I'm not really sure it is pure visual entertainment that I am looking for when I pay to see a band in concert.

They are a very good band, I second the recommendations of "The Soft Bulletin" & "Yoshimi" to start with.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    CM1847 wrote:
    I've never seen them, but this has always bugged me about them as well. Wayne completely sells out to the idea that a concert should be 100% entertainment value and he pushes the music to the background. It is a very unique idea, I would love to see it in action just to form an opinion on it, but it has always struck me as being a bit "fake" to me. Is it worth seeing a band live when so much of the music is pre-recorded? I hear they are great, so it must be a fun spectical to see, but I'm not really sure it is pure visual entertainment that I am looking for when I pay to see a band in concert.

They are a very good band, I second the recommendations of "The Soft Bulletin" & "Yoshimi" to start with.

i saw them twice this year and very little was pre-recorded...the only thing i can think of that was is the led zeppelin part, there's a loop of robert plant siging 'ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...' and 'momma, baby' i don't recall anything other than that...unless you count the bugle he has the plays taps...

they were amazing shows and they sounded great, he came out in the space bubble at the last show i was at which was a free to all ages show...i got to actually meet wayne briefly at that one
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    merkinball wrote:
    I'll second that. The Mystics DVD is excellent too. I'd say the Yoshimi DVD is the best, the Mystics DVD is second, and then Soft Bulletin DVD mix.

I've really gotten back into the Priest Driven Ambulance disc lately (Re-released as The Day They Shot a Hole in the the Jesus Egg). Some amazing songs on that disc, Shine On Sweet Jesus, Mountain Song, Unconciously Screaming. Incredibly heavy stuff.

I'd suggest you check out the Fearless Freaks DVD too, and they are putting out a live DVD in July.

i have the dvd discs for yoshimi and at war w/ the mystics and they sound really phenomenal on surround sound! i forgot which song, but one of them has the parts that are him thinking coming from the back speakers and the parts of him talking coming from the front

they have the vinyl reissue of 'in a priest driven ambulance' at a local record store...haven't gotten around to picking it up but i've been wanting it :D

wayne said at a show that they were gonna try to have screening of the live dvd for fans
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i saw them twice this year and very little was pre-recorded...the only thing i can think of that was is the led zeppelin part, there's a loop of robert plant siging 'ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...' and 'momma, baby' i don't recall anything other than that...unless you count the bugle he has the plays taps...

they were amazing shows and they sounded great, he came out in the space bubble at the last show i was at which was a free to all ages show...i got to actually meet wayne briefly at that one
    I've read interviews with Wayne that say they have a lot of the music pre-recorded, especially his guitar parts since he is out in a bubble or doing whatever most of the time.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    I've read interviews with Wayne that say they have a lot of the music pre-recorded, especially his guitar parts since he is out in a bubble or doing whatever most of the time.

When he's out in the bubble, they're not playing a song.

-Oscar Wilde
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    amazing band

i think the save the world campaign needs a flaming lips to be involved
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
    When he's out in the bubble, they're not playing a song.
    Okay, but Wayne still readily admits that much of their live music is pre-recorded. I really enjoy their albums, they are a very good band, I'm not trying to bash them, it is just a unique decision to put the emphasis on the visual specticle of the live show rather than the music.
  • As my name suggests, I'm a fan.

The Soft Bulletin changed my entire outlook on music and if I had to listen to that album every day for the rest of my life things wouldn't be so bad.
    CM1847 wrote:
    Okay, but Wayne still readily admits that much of their live music is pre-recorded. I really enjoy their albums, they are a very good band, I'm not trying to bash them, it is just a unique decision to put the emphasis on the visual specticle of the live show rather than the music.

Yeah, it is a unique decision, and normally not one that I encourage or find to be a good trait in a performing band. However in the Lips case, it works. It's not as if the entire show feels staged, or rehearsed. Wayne's enthusiasm for performing really carries through, and still makes every show special.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I was listening to some of their stuff on youtube and I was wondering... Have they ever switched vocalists? It sounds so different from "She Don't Use Jelly" to the Yoshimi album.
    Brez wrote:
    I was listening to some of their stuff on youtube and I was wondering... Have they ever switched vocalists? It sounds so different from "She Don't Use Jelly" to the Yoshimi album.

Waynes brother Mark used to sing lead, but only on the first E.P., long before Jelly. After that, it's always been Wayne.

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    fight test
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    CM1847 wrote:

do you know what year the interview was or what album it was a tour for? i could see some songs, like the gash, having some prerecorded parts...i don't know about prerecorded guitars...

some of the songs just have too many layers and is just the 3 of them and their touring drummer...on this tour when i saw them wayne did spend a good part of some songs just holding the guitar, i thought it was kinda funny...i got to the last show i saw early and he was out there the whole time they were setting up, moving things, plugging things, testing things....and at the soundcheck (free radicals') and at points in the show he did actually play his guitar.

the bigger shows w/ the bubble i could see prerecorded stuff, he came out in it at one of the shows and i don't think it was even 5 minutes in the crowd, but it wasn't as elaborate as past tours

sorry for rambling, they were 2 of the best shows i've ever been to!!!!!
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    maybe this is why wayne's too busy to play the guitar???

:D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTzMpvdLXno
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    As my name suggests, I'm a fan.

The Soft Bulletin changed my entire outlook on music and if I had to listen to that album every day for the rest of my life things wouldn't be so bad.

I Completely agree! The Soft Bulletin is my favorite album of all time. Best Ever. I saw them live.........I cant even say how amazing it was.
    You dont even really notice what they pre-record. Mostly its just string parts or vocal choirs singing. Mosty its a click track for the drummer.

Some of their live songs sound WAY better live.

"Free Radicals" from At War With the Mystics sounded 10 times better. Wayne was definately playing guitar. He had a double-neck gibson 12 string, and Steven was also playing guitar. It was sooooo Heavy, and sooooo Intense. I would say they sound more "Full" live. Very, Very good band and I would reccomend anyone to listen to them.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Brez wrote:
    defintiely dood... they'll easily become one of your favorite bands.... i like these guys way way way more than radiohead. but you might wanna give it some time to grow on you and after that enjoy it.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
    Found this link over on the lips 'bored'. Lots of live tracks/b-sides/rarities.

http://www.box.net/shared/ll1d17yide

If anything, I suggest you go into the non-album folder, and into the Soft Bulletin Companion folder. Those two discs are a great supplement to the Soft Bulletin.

merkinball wrote:
    Found this link over on the lips 'bored'. Lots of live tracks/b-sides/rarities.

http://www.box.net/shared/ll1d17yide

If anything, I suggest you go into the non-album folder, and into the Soft Bulletin Companion folder. Those two discs are a great supplement to the Soft Bulletin.

thanks!!
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd