For all you folks reveling in the recent 90's-era reunions....

fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
edited December 2007 in Other Music
So, it's 2007, and you hate all new music and it all sucks. There's nothing new that excites you, so you throw in YIELD for the 2000th time (inthe last year) because you're disgusted.

FINALLY, you are having the same problems finding new music to listen to as I have had over the last decade!!! Welcome to my world!!! As your fav 90's bands like The Pumpkins, Rage, etc, all "reunite," now you can look foward to some of your favorite "real" 90's grunge-era bands doing some or all of the following...

1. Breaking up
2. Are still together but now play clubs.
3. Play festivals with two or three other washed up bands because that is the only way they will get to play in front of a decent size crowd.
4. They don't put out new material. Instead they recycle their most popular songs with best of..., greatest hits... live..., remastered.., acoustic... live acoustic..., greatest hits live..., greatest hits live acoustic albums.
5. When they do put out an album it is just a rehash of past albums but with average songs.
6. Reunite for the money, fall into the same bad habits (arrogance, drugs, in fighting), break up again for the same reasons they broke up originally, get replacement muscians and end up with one original member left in the band.
7. Claim the band is better with the new members than the original.
8. Get fat, go bald, and all of the while trying to look relevent to the "new" music scene.
9. Put out a reunion album on a major label, sell 100,000 copies when they used to sell a million, get dropped by the label, sign with an independant label, put out a new album, sell 20,00 copies.
10. Sell their memorabilia on EBAY because you cannot make enough money playing in a band anymore.
11. Play on tribute albums just to earn some extra money.
12. Their sponsers go from Pearl drums, Gibson guitars, and Marshall amps to Tony's Pawn Shop.
13. Their fan support hasn't gotten smaller only more selective.
14. They "choose" to play in clubs because you want a more intimate setting and they want to reconnect with their fans and they can't do that playing in an arena.
15. Feud publicly with former members and nobody cares.
16. Have fans run their "official" website because they cannot afford to pay someone to do it.
17. Have two versions of the same band playing the same shitty clubs, singing the same tired songs, in front of the same 50 fans.
18. They no longer can get a record deal on a legitimate label so they start their own label and produce the records from their home "studio" and burn copies from their home PC.
19. They get lucky and become popular again for a year of two, make a ton of money and blow it all again by thinking their popularity will last forever.
20. Enter rehab after the tour is over.

Get used to it. Today is the best it will ever be for the era. It's all downhill from here.
Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'd have to kill myself if I listened to the same album more than 200 times in a year.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I'd have to kill myself if I listened to the same album more than 200 times in a year.

Your sig is fantastic
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Aw man, did you forget your Prozac today ??
    We love the re-unions cos they remind us of when an offer of a root could be taken up on, not politely declined cos we are married with kids.
    Plus we missed most of those bands back then cos we wos poor students and couldn't afford more than goon, let alone freakin' concert tickets.
    Most of us are tired and washed up too, so we don't mind the bands being like that, and we don't want new songs, we want the old ones.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Aw man, did you forget your Prozac today ??

No but I didn't forget my crack. Because, you know, you can't forget that shit.
    This thread deserves more recognition.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    This thread deserves more recognition.

Well not really, but I'll humour you! The difference between all these bands reuniting is that they were way better than most of the other bands (who have reformed) that you are comparing them to.
    Well not really, but I'll humour you! The difference between all these bands reuniting is that they were way better than most of the other bands (who have reformed) that you are comparing them to.

Why are they better? Because you say so?
    Cornell, once a darling of the oh-me-so-deep-and-pretentious altrock community, recently did a performance for WawwwlMart, of all things. lol. Now I don't have anything against Cornell as I think he's a great singer and an icon of a genre and business is business, but I just find this funny for some reason.

http://soundcheck.walmart.com/chriscornell.html

I think the 90's era altrock bands have entered the same tired phase of trying to appear relevant, similiar to when the 80's metal bands were reuniting and doing the same dumb shit in the late 90's.

In fact, I think perhaps I made a thread about this?

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=232911

We can all look forward to Chris Cornell action figures in 2008.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    fanch75 wrote:
    Cornell, once a darling of the oh-me-so-deep-and-pretentious altrock community, recently did a performance for WawwwlMart, of all things. lol. Now I don't have anything against Cornell as I think he's a great singer and an icon of a genre and business is business, but I just find this funny for some reason.

http://soundcheck.walmart.com/chriscornell.html

I think the 90's era altrock bands have entered the same tired phase of trying to appear relevant, similiar to when the 80's metal bands were reuniting and doing the same dumb shit in the late 90's.

i just wanna know when his house/club cd is coming out.
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    fanch75 wrote:

I would so buy one.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I don't think so.

The Pumpkins, Alice, Cornell, and Pearl Jam are all doing well for themselves. Are they as big as they once were? No. They still are putting out great music, and playing to good sized crowds (especially Pearl Jam...)
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    i just wanna know when his house/club cd is coming out.

Ha, yeah! I want the hot remix cd of "Jesus Christ Pose" that's being played in dance clubs near college campuses all over America. That shit is soooo fighting the man.
    I don't think so.

The Pumpkins, Alice, Cornell, and Pearl Jam are all doing well for themselves. Are they as big as they once were? No. They still are putting out great music, and playing to good sized crowds (especially Pearl Jam...)

See #19.

PJ is an exception, obviously. How can you reunite when you never broke up and are still (drummer aside) all original members?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    fanch75 wrote:
    Ha, yeah! I want the hot remix cd of "Jesus Christ Pose" that's being played in dance clubs near college campuses all over America. That shit is soooo fighting the man.

between his modelling gig, walmart performances, and the new album, he could give lenny kravitz a run for most genuine and revolutionary artist and musician of this generation.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    fanch75 wrote:
    Cornell, once a darling of the oh-me-so-deep-and-pretentious altrock community, recently did a performance for WawwwlMart, of all things. lol.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

though you have to admit, it's nice to see a man who has no shame. LMAO! :D;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    fanch75 wrote:
    So, it's 2007, and you hate all new music and it all sucks. There's nothing new that excites you, so you throw in YIELD for the 2000th time (inthe last year) because you're disgusted.

FINALLY, you are having the same problems finding new music to listen to as I have had over the last decade!!! Welcome to my world!!! As your fav 90's bands like The Pumpkins, Rage, etc, all "reunite," now you can look foward to some of your favorite "real" 90's grunge-era bands doing some or all of the following...

1. Breaking up
    3. Play festivals with two or three other washed up bands because that is the only way they will get to play in front of a decent size crowd.
    4. They don't put out new material. Instead they recycle their most popular songs with best of..., greatest hits... live..., remastered.., acoustic... live acoustic..., greatest hits live..., greatest hits live acoustic albums.
    5. When they do put out an album it is just a rehash of past albums but with average songs.
    6. Reunite for the money, fall into the same bad habits (arrogance, drugs, in fighting), break up again for the same reasons they broke up originally, get replacement muscians and end up with one original member left in the band.
    8. Get fat, go bald, and all of the while trying to look relevent to the "new" music scene.
    9. Put out a reunion album on a major label, sell 100,000 copies when they used to sell a million, get dropped by the label, sign with an independant label, put out a new album, sell 20,00 copies.
    10. Sell their memorabilia on EBAY because you cannot make enough money playing in a band anymore.
    12. Their sponsers go from Pearl drums, Gibson guitars, and Marshall amps to Tony's Pawn Shop.
    14. They "choose" to play in clubs because you want a more intimate setting and they want to reconnect with their fans and they can't do that playing in an arena.
    16. Have fans run their "official" website because they cannot afford to pay someone to do it.
    17. Have two versions of the same band playing the same shitty clubs, singing the same tired songs, in front of the same 50 fans.
    18. They no longer can get a record deal on a legitimate label so they start their own label and produce the records from their home "studio" and burn copies from their home PC.
    19. They get lucky and become popular again for a year of two, make a ton of money and blow it all again by thinking their popularity will last forever.

Get used to it. Today is the best it will ever be for the era. It's all downhill from here.
    sounds good, where do i sign?
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    great list, fanch.....natty light on me......;)
  • Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    They're all Spinal Tap, aren't they? It's the nature of the beast.

Yield 2,000 times this year? At least, brother Fanch, at least.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    fanch75 wrote:

With.........King Fu Grip? :)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • this thread reminds me of my parents/grandparents.... see, cause back in their days it was their music they considered "cool"... when my grandparents got older they began to criticize my parents music for the music they considered cool. then my parents criticized my music for what I considered "cool". and now i'm beginning to think that most of last's generation are hitting that mark when they begin to criticize modern music because they think music of the 90's was the "coolest".

i don't think so.... i actually believe music is much better tahn it was in the 90's... cause everybody back then was doing something that everybody else was doing... but today everybody is trying to make something of their own.

i used to listen to grunge, and nothing but grunge, and i though grunge was the best thing ever.... not until i got into trail of dead, interpol, and cafe tacuba did i realize that i was completely closing my mind to great music that was available... all i had to do was not be pretentious about it.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,265
    i cringe at all the reunions .....:(
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    i cringe at all the reunions .....:(
    I am with you.
    At first I think, Cool! I would love to go see them. But then I think...no. We have ALL moved on, including the band.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,265
    specially if it's a band you saw in their prime then they tour for financial reasons, and the glow is just not there i'd rather just keep the image of the band as it was not what it is at the present form if that makes any sense but that is just my own opinion .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    fanch75 wrote:

1. Breaking up

Isn't this the Motley Crue business plan????
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    fanch75 wrote:

Not exact, but close enough.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=255916
  • fanch75 wrote:

Fanch. I HAVE to hand this to you.
    You are a GINNYUS!

I have wondered about it for a long time,
    never really sure whether you, in fact, were a ginnyus, or perhaps merely an idiot savant.

But this is difinitive.

This is the first time i have ever seen a thead starter actualy use a link to reference the very same damn thread he was in, and started.

You have thrown this thread in to a CIRCULAR LOOP!

AHHHhhHHhHhhhHHHHhHHhhHhHHHHhHHHHh!
    LIFE HAS BECOME RECURSIVE!

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Circular references are awesome!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    funny post, but this doesnt apply to PJ at all. they've been goin on strong since day 1. although i can sadly agree this is happening with alice in chains. they mustve released 5 different "best of" cd's...please give me a break. and cantrell is turning into such a sell out. i mean hes playing with fuckin nickelback. i seriously think he cares more about money and fame then anything else. ill buy their new album, but im not expecting much.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09