Kiss - "Lick It Up"

fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I recently ordered "Lick It Up" from deepdiscountcd.com (I have been wanting to for a while, but they didn't have it), and boy am I glad I did. This disc is a classic, and is full of great songwriting. The copy I have is form the "Remastered" generation, and it is so loud, clear, & powerful.

With Ace Frehley now gone at this point for over a full year, Kiss was in full-on shred mode. This was powerful eighties metal. Good stuff. This album is considered by many fans to be the best of the non-makeup era (though I give the "Revenge" album that designation, personally). There are albums where Kiss sounds inspired, and albums where they don't; this is one where they sound very inspired.

When the CD rips into "Exciter" you're like "Fuck yeah, I remember this!" as if you're like me, you probably haven't listened to this album in ten years or so. Literally it had been since OU days b/c I only had it on tape. "Exciter" goes right into "Not For The Innocent" and on and on and goes through great classic material like "All Hell's Breaking Loose" and the kick ass rock "ballad" "A Million To One." He may be hated, but Vinnie Vincent is all over this album and the disc is all the better for it. It's a great, early eighties METAL album that just shines.

So, fuck yeah.

"Exciter" (Paul Stanley, Vinnie Vincent) – 4:10
Lead vocals - Paul Stanley
"Not For The Innocent" (Gene Simmons, Vincent) – 4:32
Lead vocals - Gene Simmons
"Lick It Up" (Stanley, Vincent) – 3:59
"Young And Wasted" (Simmons, Vincent) – 4:04
"Gimme More" (Stanley, Vincent) – 3:41
"All Hell's Breakin' Loose" (Eric Carr, Stanley, Vincent, Simmons) – 4:34
"A Million To One" (Stanley, Vincent) – 4:17
"Fits Like A Glove" (Simmons) – 4:04
"Dance All Over Your Face" (Simmons) – 4:13
"And On The 8th Day" (Simmons, Vincent) – 4:02
Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    come on, now. really.
  • Lick it up / Lick it up / Oh Oh Oh / It's only right now!

Paul Stanley is a genius.
    NERDS!
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Fuck an A, Paul is. Or, you may say that Vinnie Vincent helped out a bit with the Oh Oh Oh part.

That sounded kinda ghey. anyway.
  • Vinnie needs his royalties. Although when my sister picked up this album for me the day it came out I was kinda scared to see them w/o makeup. I also remember sitting around the TV waiting for the World premiere video. I was a smart 9 year old.
    NERDS!
  • When I hear that horrible song on the radio, I imgaine Paul Stanley lying on a red, heart-shaped bed in full Kiss regalia, but there is a hole in his crotch, genetalia exposed. After masturbating into his chest hair, he points to the nearest bitch and says LICK IT UP. LICK - IT - UP. WHOOOOOAAAH!

...So I try not to think about that song (or that band) unless I'm painfully reminded of it.
    JWBusher wrote:
    When I hear that horrible song on the radio, I imgaine Paul Stanley lying on a red, heart-shaped bed in full Kiss regalia, but there is a hole in his crotch, genetalia exposed. After masturbating into his chest hair, he points to the nearest bitch and says LICK IT UP. LICK - IT - UP. WHOOOOOAAAH!

...So I try not to think about that song (or that band) unless I'm painfully reminded of it.

Wow, you've thought about that fantasy a lot.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    JWBusher wrote:
    When I hear that horrible song on the radio, I imgaine Paul Stanley lying on a red, heart-shaped bed in full Kiss regalia, but there is a hole in his crotch, genetalia exposed. After masturbating into his chest hair, he points to the nearest bitch and says LICK IT UP. LICK - IT - UP. WHOOOOOAAAH!

thats fucking gross,like for real man.lay off the hard drugs
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• fanch75 wrote:
    Wow, you've thought about that fantasy a lot.

I hear that song on the radio every other day. They won't play any Pearl Jam but they'll play "Lick It Up" 15 times a day. Doesn't make sense to me. Every time I hear it, I think "why would anybody like this song?" and then I get a visual of Paul Stanley and it goes on from there. And then I gag. And then they play a Journey or Foreigner song and I just turn off the damn radio.
    JWBusher wrote:
    I hear that song on the radio every other day. They won't play any Pearl Jam but they'll play "Lick It Up" 15 times a day. Doesn't make sense to me. Every time I hear it, I think "why would anybody like this song?" and then I get a visual of Paul Stanley and it goes on from there. And then I gag. And then they play a Journey or Foreigner song and I just turn off the damn radio.

haha

that's cool

I love Kiss, man. They are my favorite band, love them. THey are total escapism. It's rock and roll in the sense of feeling the yearnings of youth, ie wanting a woman or wanting to scream about how great life is. Not deep and that's fine. We work all day and come home and want to be taken some place else. That's what Kiss are to me.
  • thats fucking gross,like for real man.

I KNOW IT IS! THAT IS WHY NOONE MUST MENTION THAT SONG IN MY PRESENCE EVER AGAIN!
  • fanch75 wrote:
    haha

that's cool

I love Kiss, man. They are my favorite band, love them. THey are total escapism. It's rock and roll in the sense of feeling the yearnings of youth, ie wanting a woman or wanting to scream about how great life is. Not deep and that's fine. We work all day and come home and want to be taken some place else. That's what Kiss are to me.

I was just kidding around. I have a thing with that song. It makes me mad crazy. Regardless, I can't even tell you how many of my heroes and fellow musicians were strongly influenced by Kiss, which always leaves me puzzled. Kiss have a legion of fans, but give me the Stones any day. Kiss aren't anywhere near as rock & roll as the Stones, no matter how many chicks they bang or products they release. I always felt like Kiss were "pretend" rock & roll, if that makes any sense. That's my thing with Kiss. But hey, it's just one man's opinion.
    Really? I can see that with later Kiss, but hte early Kiss stuff was total Stones and Beatles and Zeppelin all thrown together with spectacle dumped on top of all of it.

Regardless, no one will ever convince me that ACE FREHLEY wasn't rock and roll. Gene $immons, there's an argument. ACE? Nah. He was the real deal.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Really? I can see that with later Kiss, but hte early Kiss stuff was total Stones and Beatles and Zeppelin all thrown together with spectacle dumped on top of all of it.

Regardless, no one will ever convince me that ACE FREHLEY wasn't rock and roll. Gene $immons, there's an argument. ACE? Nah. He was the real deal.

Oh yeah...Ace is the odd man out...he's the real deal. I kind of feel the same way about CC Deville.
  • JWBusher wrote:

thats truely sad. i've been fortunate not hear this one yet, or maybe its something i've instantly recognized as crap and immediately changed. to each their own, but i find kiss to be the absolute most overrated band ever. first of all, no one in the band can sing. i've never heard one song that was even decent. their best is apparently the disco song, which is hillarious to me. they seem to represent everything about rock & roll except music. which is the only thing that matters about it to me. i want to ask pj or aic or stp - why why why and what in the hell do you like about them. what song do you like. i think they may just be victims of that particular age, like those clowns (not an insult, remember they do make up as such) were their introduction to rock. this is the only rock band i can say with absolute confidence i will never ever like no matter what happens in my life. even if i become a complete vegas cheese ball. remember: you can't see their make up on a record, its supposed to be about music.

whoa, that felt good, but, like i said: to each their own, so enjoy if you can.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • twhy why why and what in the hell do you like about them. what song do you like.

The thing you have to remember about KISS back in the mid 70's is that they were something different. I'll hesistate to say original, but they were different.

If you look at those first 2 or 3 albums and those first two live discs...that is straight ahead rock and roll.

It wasn't until they put out ALIVE! that they started to gain momentum in the mainstream...they put on a show.

Make-up? Spitting Blood? Guitars on Fire? Pyro? Ace Frehley?

What 13-35 year old wouldn't get into that?

It's like Fanch said in the original post...it's escapism rock and roll. You don't have to think too much about it...just sit back and enjoy the show.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I can't see myself ever owning this album, but I do like the song when it comes up on the "Smashes, Thrashes and Hits" album. I love this era of Kiss. I used to love the Heaven's On Fire video. Rock on, fanch.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman