Options

Thank god for Tool and PJ May2nd!!

tbone1tbone1 Posts: 21
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I heard the new Tool album all the way through yesterday..OMG. Best stuff they have done in a long time fking time imo!! And so far PJ gets the same response!! Just heard "Gone" for the first time. Awesome..can't wait for Ed to play that on Luke! he!
Did anyone get tix to tool at chicago?
Only real stars can rock an arena while sitting down with a notebook and a bottle of wine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    True. But I think in Tool's case we should also highlight the fact that it is the ONLY thing they've done in a long time. Tool takes a hell of a long time to make a record.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    dreadisdreadis Posts: 109
    Also true...but, that's what makes their albums (each and every one of them) a pure art....and the enticipation (5 year since Lateralus) just adds the thrill.
    Not unlike Korn and some other bands that I listen to which are now releasing albums every year or two, and are getting more awful and desperate with every new album...

...btw, for those who don't listen to Tool....it is a MUST!!!!
    '96_londonx2
    '00_salzburg_ljubljana_verona_milano
    '06_bologna_verona_milano_torino_pistoia_zagreb

My trading page: http://db.etree.org/dreadis
  • Options
    I think Tool could still make great records if they released them a little more frequently. It's just that they choose to work on lots of side work, which I can respect.

Look at The Beatles, they released albums every year, sometimes two a year, and every damn album was amazing.

A good band is going to make good albums, no matter how long they wait between releases, and a lot of time between releases doesn't always equate to a great records, but it does seem to work for Tool.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    corduroy10 wrote:
    True. But I think in Tool's case we should also highlight the fact that it is the ONLY thing they've done in a long time. Tool takes a hell of a long time to make a record.

You beat me to it. You can honestly say that 10,000 Days is the best stuff they've done in 10 years since Aenima. The problem is, there's only one album in between. And Lateralus was a pretty serious letdown, IMO. 10,000 Days is awesome, though. I just wish they'd lose some of the self-indulgence and go back to making solid albums from beginning to end. I mean, Wings for Marie, the first 8 minutes of 10,000 Days, Lipan Conjuring, Intension, and Vigniti Trees are all pretty much time fillers and wastes of space. But is it just me, or is Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned the best song they've perhaps ever done?
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    And Lateralus was a pretty serious letdown, IMO. ?

Aouch...that hurts, man! ;)

Well...I think Wings for Marie/10.000 days is be the song everybody will talk about...that's for Tool, as Stairway to heaven is to Led Zep, or Alive or Jeremy is to PJ!
    '96_londonx2

• Options
    dreadis wrote:
    Aouch...that hurts, man! ;)

Well...I think Wings for Marie/10.000 days is be the song everybody will talk about...that's for Tool, as Stairway to heaven is to Led Zep, or Alive or Jeremy is to PJ!

Well, I beg to differ. Over 10 minutes of slow, droning guitar notes and no vocal melody whatsoever from Maynard? That's an insult to Zep to compare Wings/10,000 to Stairway. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is 100 times the epic song that Wings/10,000 is. The last 4 minutes of 10,000 Days are badass, but between the 6 minutes of boredom that Wings for Marie is, combined with the first 7 or 8 minutes of 10,000 Days, it makes me long for a labotomy.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Well, I beg to differ. Over 10 minutes of slow, droning guitar notes and no vocal melody whatsoever from Maynard? That's an insult to Zep to compare Wings/10,000 to Stairway. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is 100 times the epic song that Wings/10,000 is. The last 4 minutes of 10,000 Days are badass, but between the 6 minutes of boredom that Wings for Marie is, combined with the first 7 or 8 minutes of 10,000 Days, it makes me long for a labotomy.

That's the thing with having different taste...So, I beg to differ :)...given that Lost Keys is not even a song, and you can't sing nor hum to more than half of the Rosseta Stoned! The lyrics and the message in 10.000 days just blows me away. Maynard has never been open like that, and I am quite patient with listening to that song...even though a lot of people like you are borred with it!

And, I think you got we worng with the Stairway... quote. I didn't compare the two songs, I just said that 10.000 days means to Tool as much as Stairway... means to Zeps!
    '96_londonx2

• Options
    dreadis wrote:
    That's the thing with having different taste...So, I beg to differ :)...given that Lost Keys is not even a song, and you can't sing nor hum to more than half of the Rosseta Stoned! The lyrics and the message in 10.000 days just blows me away. Maynard has never been open like that, and I am quite patient with listening to that song...even though a lot of people like you are borred with it!

And, I think you got we worng with the Stairway... quote. I didn't compare the two songs, I just said that 10.000 days means to Tool as much as Stairway... means to Zeps!

On the Stairway thing, I just think 46 & Two, Third Eye, and Flood are all much more personal songs to Maynard than 10,000 Days is. I would also argue that Maynard has always been pretty open when it comes to his lyrics. He just tends to be somewhat cryptic about it (i.e. the whole water symbolism on Undertow, etc.). So while 10,000 Days is, indeed, very straight forward for Maynard, I wouldn't say he's never been this open before.

And for the record, I'm not trying to be combative about it. I think you and I just get different things out of Tool's music and lyrics. Which is cool. To me, that's always the sign of a great band and a great lyricist and songwriter. When anyone can personalize a song or album and get out of it what means the most to him/her.

• Options
    you cant be serious, 10,000 days is a disaster. really poor CD
  • Options
    I thought it was a pretty darn good album
    "I write a letter to a friend of mine
    I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile
    See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
    Haven't seen him smile in a little while
    But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
    Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
    R.I.P. JEN
  • Options

I would by no means call it a disaster. Vicarious is awesome. The Pot is good. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is amazing. As it Right In Two. Jambi is pretty damn good. There's definitely some good songs on it. In no way is it Tool's finest work, but it's still a pretty good listen as long as you skip through Wings for Marie, Lipan Conjuring, Intension, and Vigniti Trees.

• Options
    10,000 days is a fantastic album. Blows me away.

Best rhythm section in rock/metal today. Danny Carey is a freak.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    tbone1tbone1 Posts: 21
    10,000 days is a fantastic album. Blows me away.

Best rhythm section in rock/metal today. Danny Carey is a freak.

No Shit!! One of the things I like is that it's a journey into time and space on some of this album that build to awesome rythms!!!! Not to sound like the Twilight Zone or anything!
    Only real stars can rock an arena while sitting down with a notebook and a bottle of wine.