Who is Arcade Fire?

reblfanreblfan Posts: 90
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Sorry if I offend anyone by not knowing who this band is, but I've only recently began to hear about them. How long have they been around and what type of music is it?
"Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    3-4 years
    genius
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    their first album came out in late 04 (october i think) they put out and ep before that. They are from Montreal Canada. They get labled as an indie group.

Their first album has some bowie/talking heads influence i think and the newest one that came out yesterday has some springteenesqu sounds.

There are like 7 people in the band they have all your usual instruments then some organs/keys and a violinist that add and intersting texture to their songs.

If you want download a couple of their songs here are my suggestions from the albums:

Funeral (2004)
    Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
    Neighborhood #3 (Poweout)
    Rebellion (lies)

Neon Bible (2007)
    intervention
    antichrist television blues
    no cars go

Their first album funeral got a lot of recognition. As it was being made 3-4 members of the band lost family members. Although not every song is about death every song seems to drip with emotion.

the new album came out yesterday so i'm still digesting it, but i like it a good bit.

hope that helps
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • also have gotten much praise from Bowie and Mick Jagger (they've attended some shows). they're the real deal for sure.

highly recommended to anyone that likes independent rock music.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • ... but most of all, they're an amazing live act, for those who had a chance to see them, the tickets rartiy reminds me of a band in the early 90's ;).

Going to buy Neon Bible tonight, can't wait.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • only one of the best bands out there today.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • reblfanreblfan Posts: 90
    Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to check them out...I just hate it has taken me this long to find out about them.
    "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising."
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    saw em in Dublin on mobady night....frickin class! aint bought the new
    record yet, so half the set was new to me.....but i enjoyed it none the
    less!!
    the EP was re-released after the success of Funeral sky-rocketed!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Sawyer wrote:
    probably the greatest live act right now.....yes, that includes PJ......phenomenal musicians

I put them at an equal level with Pearl Jam in terms of live shows, and that's saying something. They really are spectacular. Can't wait until June when I get to see them twice more in Berkeley.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    A great band indeed. The new cd is on sale at target of all places for 7.98.
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    I'm just getting into Arcade Fire and I'm not too sure about them yet. Definitely talented. Definitely diffrent... definitely pretentious
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    pjrvm wrote:
    I'm just getting into Arcade Fire and I'm not too sure about them yet. Definitely talented. Definitely diffrent... definitely pretentious
    I hear ya...I'm not quite sure what to think of them either. There's a certain affectation about them that I can't get past. I'm seeing them at Sasquatch, though, and hoping they prove me wrong.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    pjrvm wrote:

They actually come across as one of the least pretentious group of people you'll ever find. That's been my experience with their live shows anyway. They remind me a lot of Pearl Jam in the way that they engage and care about their fans. It's a beautiful thing.
    You know what it is, it's the outfits.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    boroff89 wrote:
    They actually come across as one of the least pretentious group of people you'll ever find. That's been my experience with their live shows anyway. They remind me a lot of Pearl Jam in the way that they engage and care about their fans. It's a beautiful thing.

Yeah i agree. I remember the first time i saw them in Jan of 05 for the last song 3 of the members got off the stage and came in the crowd playing their instruments to finish the show. Evidently they do that often and i just thought it was the coolest experience i was right down there and Win was right there.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    I don't know about the shows, I just find the music itself a little pretentious... I mean calling all your songs "Neighbourhood #___"
    they sorta seem like the type of band that if you love them great and if you don't you just don't "get it"
    Same could be said for Radiohead I suppose, whom I do love.
    intodeep wrote:
    Yeah i agree. I remember the first time i saw them in Jan of 05 for the last song 3 of the members got off the stage and came in the crowd playing their instruments to finish the show. Evidently they do that often and i just thought it was the coolest experience i was right down there and Win was right there.

When I saw them last, Win was so fired up by the crowd that he didn't want to stop playing. At the end of the show, he grabbed a guitar, dove into the crowd, and ran outside to Market St here in San Francisco. He played a few songs out on the street for anyone who cared to stop and listen. Definitely one of the coolest things I have ever seen a musician do.
    boroff89 wrote:
    When I saw them last, Win was so fired up by the crowd that he didn't want to stop playing. At the end of the show, he grabbed a guitar, dove into the crowd, and ran outside to Market St here in San Francisco. He played a few songs out on the street for anyone who cared to stop and listen. Definitely one of the coolest things I have ever seen a musician do.
    Well, that's pretty cool. Even though I don't quite get the hype about their music, I'm definitely interested to see them live.