The Who At The Palace (Detroit) - 9/29/06

IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
edited October 2006 in Other Music
This was my first concert seeing The Who live and it was a blast!!!

I had been working with the venue for over a month trying to get better ADA seats, was even willing to pay the highest price, but they refused and insisted that the section 121/122 (all the way in the back, behind the floor seats) was designated for sign language interpreters because they felt they would “block people’s views”. I was angry at their ignorance and lack of education.

But I lost the fight and ended up in the back, but that did not deter my enjoyment of the show.

It was also easy finding an interpreter who knew all of their songs (except for the unreleased songs that won’t come out till Oct 30th, which my interpreter didn’t know). I found this interpreter at the Cincy show where she literally flipped out when PJ did The Who covers.

She did not hesitate to travel to Detroit when I told her The Who was playing here. She drove 5 ½ hours straight to the show and she did not regret it a bit. She had a blast time!

I found out the interpreter was located way too far from me and I told the people who were working the floor that that was not going to work out because I can’t see the interpreter that far and if it was possible for her to be closer to me or me getting closer to her (she was standing on a platform, next to the cameraman who was videotaping the show).

They let me stand on the lower platform (I don’t know what you call it, but it’s a setup for the cameras, I think) and the cameraman was on the higher platform. It was awesome because I took off my scandals and felt the vibrations with my feet, along with my cochlear implant. Sometimes my processor (outer device attached to the inner device of the implant) was cut off due to the loudness (they gave me a program with specific settings of lowest and highest, so if something is louder than my highest setting, it gets “softened” or “cut off”), so my workaround to this was keeping flipping it on/off to keep the loudness going (it takes maybe two seconds for the program to realize it’s too “loud”). Oddly, this did not happen as often as my PJ weekend (GR/Cleveland/Detroit).

The cameraman was in his late 20’s and might I add, a cute one. :D He was really sweet and funny. Someone else from The Who crew came up to him to ask why I was there next to him and I looked over at him, out of curiosity, to see his response.

“Oh, she’s my secretary. Yeah, she’s taking notes for me.” He teased his co-worker, and he returned with this puzzled and confused look. I smiled back and raised my Mike’s Hard Lemonade cup to demonstrate bringing drinks to him. “Yeah! She brings me drinks, too!” He realized it was a joke and we all laughed.

Now, onto the show. They opened with “Can’t Explain”. That was a great song! I know Ed has covered this song and it was with great pleasure hearing this song live from the man himself who wrote this song.

I loved the video screens – it shows the band, as well as some creativity and sometimes old pictures of them. I especially enjoyed watching Pete playing on his guitar.

I can’t really remember all the songs they played, but I especially loved the Pinball Wizard where they had videos of arms signing in Britain Sign Language (BSL) – this freaked us out and we both were able to intimate their signs. We giggled like high school girls after it ended.

Off from my head, not in particular order, I remember them playing “Can’t Explain”, “Behind Blue Eyes” (loved this!! Bobby plays this for me all the time on his guitar), “Baba O'Riley” (after hearing this, I have NO preferences over PJ’s cover or The Who – like Ed said, “You can’t compare art with art” ), “Who Are You” (kick ass!!), "Won’t Get Fooled Again", “Real Good Looking Boy” (awesome videos of Elvis Presely), “The Seeker”, “See me, Feel Me”, and I loved their closing song – but can’t remember the name. Tea? That was such a sad and beautiful song, I immediately knew it was about their lost members. :(

I also learned that Ed has imitated them a lot – sometimes with the way he moves his head when he sings, I saw that with Roger. And how Roger hits his two tambourines together…of course, the Pete Townshed jump –albeit not as high as he used to, but that is STILL his signature. :D

I really had a great time and I wish it was this easy finding a Pearl Jam interpreter who knew all of their songs! I went through hell getting pj interpreters, only to have them knowing some of the songs because of the short time frame and didn’t know which songs PJ would be playing. Oh well.

I’m thinking about joining The Who fan club…but 60 dollars a year. *sigh* And I already missed out on their presale for the Grand Rapids show – doesn’t matter, it is on a Tuesday in December so that wouldn’t have worked out.

Would I see them again in Detroit, all the way in the back? Fuck yeah!!!

P.S. Sorry for the long post, I know you hate that... ;)
JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
EV: It's your band.
~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oh wow!! Mel sounds like you had a BLAST!!!!!!!!!
    I'm so glad you had such a good time and had such a good terp.
    I KNEW you'd love them. They are AMAZING live!

I agree with you Ed imitates them soo much. :)

Thanks for posting girlie :)
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • shoot. i could have gone to this show...but no one wanted to go with me. i guess i'm just a sucker for going to see pearl jam alone (i'm flying to California to see the Bridge shows by myself), but not anyone else (oh, except Sigur Ros).

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, Baba O'Riley, Eminence Front, Man In A Purple Dress, Mike Post Theme, You Better You Bet, My Generation, Cry If You Want, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theater

standard set.. no suprises..

i cant wait to see them live for my first time next month
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    DarkStar wrote:
    shoot. i could have gone to this show...but no one wanted to go with me. i guess i'm just a sucker for going to see pearl jam alone (i'm flying to California to see the Bridge shows by myself), but not anyone else (oh, except Sigur Ros).

ds

Sigur Ros!!! Someone gave me a link to listen to them for the first time after I got cochlear implant and I got GOOSEBUMPS!!!

Aw... I went by "myself" and even wore my PJ surfer logo (not avocado, oops - don't even have that!) shirt. :D;)

Vedder4Prez - thanks for the setlist, now I remember all of those songs! :D

Ah, Tea And Theater - yes yes yes! :)

Edit: for the last time I edit this post... thanks, Mel! :) xo
    ~Q Magazine

• PureandEasy went to their U.S. opening show in Philly and said it was GREAT! And of course she is a huge Who fan, so it must have been a really good one. I'm glad you had such an excellent time. :)

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    That's amazing!!!
    I'm seing them for the first time on March!... It's the first time they ever come to Argentina!!!!
    I can't believe I'm gonna b there!
    :D
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • wow--IAmMine--great post! seems like you had a great experience and I'm glad it worked out well!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • hey no probs sweetie.

This recap was too awesome to let drop into Porch oblivion.

I can't wait till Dec when I get to see them again. (PJ and the Who lol)
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
    hey no probs sweetie.

This recap was too awesome to let drop into Porch oblivion.

I can't wait till Dec when I get to see them again. (PJ and the Who lol)

aw, you are too sweet - all those who knew me and knew I was going to the show already knew I'd have a great time. :)

You forgot U2!!! *gasps* shame!!! hehehe

Thank you all for the nice responses. :)

xo (double for liz ;))
    ~Q Magazine

• IamMine wrote:
    aw, you are too sweet - all those who knew me and knew I was going to the show already knew I'd have a great time. :)

You forgot U2!!! *gasps* shame!!! hehehe

Thank you all for the nice responses. :)

xo (double for liz ;))

:eek: OMG!!!!! You're right I did. *hangs my head in shame* must be the cleaners I was just using affecting my brain lol. Just mopped the apartment and cleaned the bathroom.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Mel, I'm so happy you had such a great time. I loved your review, especially the part where you said you took your sandals off and were able to feel the vibrations with your feet. It's so fitting, because Pete has written so much over the years that music is all about vibration, and in my opinion nobody does it better than Pete himself :)

I'm also happy that you were able to find an interpreter that could help you enjoy the show that much more.

Take care and say hello to Bobby for me. :)

Hope to see you soon.
    Wow, this is in the "Other Music" forum. :S

Oh well.

Anyway, Marsha - I'm glad you enjoyed my review! :o

I'd love to get a quote from Pete regarding the vibrations - I'd use that as my signature because he's so dead right on that! Can you get that for me - since you being a huge Who fan and all that. :D

I wish I had taken off my shoes for all of my pj shows. Now I will from now on. :D;) But...it helps if the floor is different - not concrete, but something that will absorb the vibrations, like that platform I stood on. That was a godsend material of the night! :) Perhaps all that fighting with the venue wasn't for nothing after all.

I took some pictures - even of that cute camerman who gave me the permission to do so, so hopefully they turn out good and I'll send some your way.

I hope they'll come back to Detroit again!

Oh, I can't believe I failed to mention how BLUE Pete's eyes are... wow, they really stood out on the video screens!

:eek:
    ~Q Magazine

• moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    did you get in to see the opening band?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
    moeaholic wrote:
    did you get in to see the opening band?

Yes I did.

I was actually the first in the line at the Palace. :p

bad habits with pj shows, i guess.... lol

Moe was a good jam band to listen to! :)
    ~Q Magazine

• moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    IamMine wrote:
    Yes I did.

I was actually the first in the line at the Palace. :p

bad habits with pj shows, i guess.... lol

Moe was a good jam band to listen to! :)

good job:)
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i wish they'd add some more u.s. dates..... lol
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    IamMine wrote:
    Oh, I can't believe I failed to mention how BLUE Pete's eyes are... wow, they really stood out on the video screens!

:eek:

are they amazing to look at, it's like looking deep into his soul

god I love him

I'll see what I can find about the quote

well from my board name song - it's about a musical note - that's me :):)
    This is from Pete's solo album, Who Came First

Pure and Easy

There once was a note, pure and easy
    Playing so free, like a breathe rippling by
    The note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me
    Forever we blend as forever we die

I listened and I heard, music in a word
    And words when you played your guitar
    The noise that I was hearing was a million people cheering
    And a child flew past me, riding in a star
    As people assemble, civilization
    Is trying to find a new way to die
    But killing is really, merely scene changer
    All men are bored, with other men's lives

And a child flew past me, riding on a star

We all know success, when we all find our own dreams
    And our love is enough to knock down any walls
    And the future's been seen, as men try to realize
    The simple secret of the note in us all
    in us all

And a child flew past me, riding in a star

The day is the day, the sound covers mountains
    blowing, blowing each man into wake
    destroying its self in the end with vibrations
    there's nothing on earth it's challenge can take

excepting one note
    Excepting one note, pure and easy
    Playing so free, like a breathe rippling by

excepting one note, excepting one note

There once was a note,...listen
    There once was a note,...listen

THAT IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST THING I'VE HEARD :)
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    "I listened and I heard, music in a word
    And words when you played your guitar"

This is one of my all time favorite lines ever. It sums up good music so succinctly.

Seeing The Who on Sunday. Saw them in '79 (best show I've ever seen by a wide margin too), again on the Tommy tour (kinda boring, Pete mailed it in that whole tour) and now this tour. I'm so pumped that they're playing new music and that they're getting good reviews. Will miss Entwistle.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • I'm glad everyone is having fun at The Who shows. My only question is, could they possibly open with another song? Ever? I don't think I have ever heard of a band opening with the same song every show for 3 straight tours. (until now)

They do rock live, though
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
    wow, PureandEasy... well, that makes sense now! :)

Why I never asked what that username meant, just thought someone kept saying that's who you are and you stuck with that name... :o;):D

Should have put 2 and 2 together, though!

Thank you for sharing that song with me! :)

Pearls&Stones - I have no idea...but PureandEasy might know! :)
    ~Q Magazine