Lou Reed Berlin

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,013
edited January 2006 in Other Music
bought this album yesterday. i heard the other year someone say it was more depressing than frank blacks black letter days. which is my favorite non-pearl jam album. so i finally picked up berlin and its awesome. i never heard anything by lou reed other than the nirvana cover of that velvet underground song. before i finished berlin i was already taken. first time through it didnt seem that sad really but it really is something else. ive been listening to it for over 24 hours already.

"i wanna be a singer like lou reed"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So you've never heard his second solo album "Transformer?" Make that your next album purchase.

My favorite Lou Reed album is "The Blue Mask"

But "Transformer" is his most essential album

And what song did Nirvana cover?
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • here she comes now. no doubt ill be buying another lou reed album.
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Just watching the title of this thread "Lou Reed - Berlin" made me feel so happy, for I don't know what reason, Lou doesn't get much props around here. Berlin is simply awesome, wonderfully played, with some of the greatest lyrics ever written and a whole special mood to it. Words are not enought to describe how good this record is. Come on, you can't say it's not sad after hearing those kids crying at the song titled... well The Kids. And it's great to notice Lou's greatness is discovered by someone new everyday. He's just a personal hero. I listen to the Beatles, like the Stones, respect Pink Floyd, but for me the truly great thing of the 60's is that it spawned The Velvet Underground, as I use to say "the greatest rock band that has ever been", you may agree or not, but it's true (at least for me).

Don't wait anylonger and get Transformer, The Blue Mask, New York, Ecstasy or Animal Serenade. Or even better, go and get The Velvet Underground and Nico. Or better than that, get that box-set with all the Velvet Underground albums. Do it now, you've just waited enough.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • barcoach wrote:
    Just watching the title of this thread "Lou Reed - Berlin" made me feel so happy, for I don't know what reason, Lou doesn't get much props around here. Berlin is simply awesome, wonderfully played, with some of the greatest lyrics ever written and a whole special mood to it. Words are not enought to describe how good this record is. Come on, you can't say it's not sad after hearing those kids crying at the song titled... well The Kids. And it's great to notice Lou's greatness is discovered by someone new everyday. He's just a personal hero. I listen to the Beatles, like the Stones, respect Pink Floyd, but for me the truly great thing of the 60's is that it spawned The Velvet Underground, as I use to say "the greatest rock band that has ever been", you may agree or not, but it's true (at least for me).

Don't wait anylonger and get Transformer, The Blue Mask, New York, Ecstasy or Animal Serenade. Or even better, go and get The Velvet Underground and Nico. Or better than that, get that box-set with all the Velvet Underground albums. Do it now, you've just waited enough.

im sure ill get them all but christmas hit me hard so i cant get it all at once. but the berlin album was like discovering the pixies. i heard of lou reed and not just from the pixies song. finally one day i said "hey go get that album". and it was something else. i remember first hearing surfer rosa and it was perfect and berlin has that same magic to it. lou reed comes through with lots of emotion. its not emo but seems very sincere. im still listening to this album. the ending to sad song is awesome, so epic.
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    im sure ill get them all but christmas hit me hard so i cant get it all at once. but the berlin album was like discovering the pixies. i heard of lou reed and not just from the pixies song. finally one day i said "hey go get that album". and it was something else. i remember first hearing surfer rosa and it was perfect and berlin has that same magic to it. lou reed comes through with lots of emotion. its not emo but seems very sincere. im still listening to this album. the ending to sad song is awesome, so epic.

Man, heaven shall bless you for bringing out 2 of the things I've loved most on my 30 years of life (and had help me to get this far):
    Pixies music
    and
    Lou Reed's music
    Really, don't loose track to Lou's music, he's just great (just try to make Metal Machine Music your last purchase, so you won't be early disappointed)
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • His version of Heroin (i know its his song.. but anyway..) is great, but i still love the VU version too much to say its better than his original.

Lou Reed Fucking Rocks.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    now i know what i buy somebody thanx:)
  • CortoCorto Posts: 36
    I Think that Berlin is the greatest album of Lou Reed... greater than Transformer or anything by the VU.
    "all you need to play guitar is five strings, three notes, two fingers, and one asshole!" Keith Richards