Options

Led Zeppelin I

oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
edited March 2006 in Other Music
just finished listening to this one.. fuckin' A

"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true.."

amazing record.. Jimmy Page ROCKS THE BLUES!
Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
As she slams the door in his drunken face
And now he stands outside
And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
And his tears fall and burn the garden green
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    one of the best albums of all time. good times, bad times is among my top zeppelin faves.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you know they stole that song from jake holmes, right?
    dazed and confused i'm talking about.

but you're right ledzep I is a kicker of an album nonetheless
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Dazed and Confused = musical perfection, I don't think I have ever heard a song where every member is perfect. Page's guitar = perfect, especially the solo, Jones' scale during the solo and the stuff before the solo, amazing, Bonzo's drums, unreal and Plant's voice is as usual incredible.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options

yes, and they rocked it to the core!!
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I just got the album and have given it a few spins. Needless to say, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was stuck in my head, particularly the guitar riffs and such. Definately a good album and I'm going to give it more listens to see if I prefer it or IV. I have II but I'm going to wait to listen to it once I've heard those albums enough and given them time to sink in.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    my fav is the unnamed album.. I love Black Dog..
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Your Time Is Gonna Come is one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs of all time.....and that's not an east list to create.
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    Earthgirl wrote:
    my fav is the unnamed album.. I love Black Dog..
    yea I agree its a great record.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957

I am pretty sure Dazed and Confused was pretty much completely from a Yardbirds tune.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    olderman wrote:
    just finished listening to this one.. fuckin' A

"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true.."

amazing record.. Jimmy Page ROCKS THE BLUES!
    This song has been on my mp3 from day one. Along with some others like "The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair" ;)
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    And poor Bob Plant got left off all of the songwriting credits.........still a great album.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    this is the best debut album of all time
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Now that I've given the album about another weeks worth of listens I can say I really like it. Almost as much as IV. My new favorite song on the CD and one of my fav Zep songs is How Many More Times. I love the story it tells and the song changes quite a few times from infectious riffs to awesome solos and back.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Although Jimmy Page (guitar) takes credit (not to mention royalties) for this tune, he was undoubtedly influenced by Jake Holmes’ reading from The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes (1967).

Granted, Page’s reinvention — which began as far back as his pre Led Zeppelin days with the remnants of the Yardbirds — radically contrasts the original folk/blues. While the version featured on the first Led Zeppelin (1969) disc is already well jammed and otherwise stretched out, in concert the guitarist turned “Dazed And Confused” into a deeply personal and ultimately musical expression.

The remainder of the quartet also seized the opportunity to give the track a fitting workout as an ensemble of heavy rock’s premiere virtuosos. The title commences as a waltz with a nimble rumbling from John Paul Jones (bass) which is contrasted by some liquid electricity from Page’s passionate fretwork.

Igniting this low-key interaction is the unrelenting passion in Robert Plant’s (vocals) opening. This bolt of lightening likewise illuminates the already thick and portentous soundscape further setting a tone for the impending sonic onslaught. John Bonham (drums) sneaks in with a rock solid downbeat beneath Plant’s opening line. During the bridge he explodes front and centre with his trademark blend of keen rhythmic gymnastics and straight-ahead swinging percussive support.

The band collectively combust throughout the remainder of the cut as they alternate between scintillating and scorching. The early recordings — such as those included on the two-disc BBC Sessions (1997) — are especially notable for featuring powerful and majestic leads from Plant. Part of the vocalist’s strength lies in his utter domination as an improviser. The song took on much more intense interaction in concert as both he and Page would often trade licks, playing an amazing game of call-and-response mimicry. The 20+ minute rendering included in their fantasy/documentary film The Song Remains The Same (1976) displays this inspired collaboration.

It likewise presents a visual image to the ethereal sound of Page bowing his guitar strings, which would range from sublime to harrowing. While it became one of Led Zep’s signature pieces, the pairing of Plant/ Page did not revive it for the No Quarter: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant... (1994).
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    Personally I love Zeppelin II and III, but I is no doubt classic!!

I love Communication Breakdown!!!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    lots of bands lift stuff from other ppl....altho LZ did go a wee bit further than most (like stealing 'when the levee breaks' completely)

all that aside, i think musically they were one of the best bands (come on, bonham, jpjones, page!!!), i can't stand robert plant's voice, tho. th ebest boots i haveof them are when his vocals are real low in the mix.

have you seen the lz dvd (their last one) w/ the tv performance of 'dazed and confused'?? that shit is hilarious seeing the look on the faces of those older ppl in suits!!! :D
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    lots of bands lift stuff from other ppl....altho LZ did go a wee bit further than most (like stealing 'when the levee breaks' completely)

all that aside, i think musically they were one of the best bands (come on, bonham, jpjones, page!!!), i can't stand robert plant's voice, tho. th ebest boots i haveof them are when his vocals are real low in the mix.

have you seen the lz dvd (their last one) w/ the tv performance of 'dazed and confused'?? that shit is hilarious seeing the look on the faces of those older ppl in suits!!! :D

some time ago.. hehehe..

a professor told his fiction writing class that no one could write an original story. no matter what you may write, the story's already on paper.

he meant, of course, that original ideas are scarce. it's all in the way you tell the story that counts.

Led Zeppelin Rocks :)