Options

Sex Pistols snub US Hall of Fame

blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Sex Pistols snub US Hall of Fame

Punk band the Sex Pistols have refused to attend their own induction into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In a handwritten note posted on their website, they called the institution "urine in wine".

"We're not your monkeys, we're not coming. You're not paying attention," continued the statement.

The band, named as inductees alongside Blondie, Herb Alpert and Black Sabbath, were due to take part in an induction ceremony in New York on 13 March.

Executive director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, Susan Evans, said: "They are being the outrageous punksters they are, and that's rock 'n' roll."

'Old famous'

The note further criticised the Hall of Fame for offering "fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery".

It further claimed that the money "goes to a non-profit organisation, selling us a load of old famous".

A Hall of Fame representative said each inductee gets two free tickets, with additional ones costing $2,500 (£1,432).

The group's letter acknowledged that the organisation's judges are anonymous, but denounced them as "music industry people".

Pistols lead singer Johnny Rotten once famously derided the rock 'n' roll institution as "a place where old rockers go to die", dubbing it the "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame".

The Sex Pistols' notorious hits from the late 1970s include Pretty Vacant and God Save The Queen, while they released just one album before splitting.

They reformed for a tour in 1996, and came back in 2002 to re-release God Save The Queen to coincide with the Golden Jubilee.

This was followed with a brief tour of the US a year later.

Musicians for the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are considered for induction 25 years after their first recording.

A shortlist of nominees is sent to an international body of about 700 voting "rock experts".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/4750262.stm

Published: 2006/02/25 12:40:25 GMT

© BBC MMVI
"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best."
~ FZ ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    the sex pistols suck, are overrated, and dont deserve the induction anyway. good riddance, what a bunch of bullshit, some rich bunch of washed up 50 year old 'punksters' acting all 'rebellious' and 'wild' again. fuck em.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    Haha, I heard about this yesterday, the Sex Pistols rule!
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    LedZepFan wrote:
    the sex pistols suck, are overrated, and dont deserve the induction anyway. good riddance, what a bunch of bullshit, some rich bunch of washed up 50 year old 'punksters' acting all 'rebellious' and 'wild' again. fuck em.

agree with everything you just said. if the sex pistols are in the hall of fame why not green day? sex pistols are only a legendary [sarcasm]punk[/sarcasm] band cause of their gimmick it has nothing to do with the music.
  • Options
    While I agree with the people that say the Sex Pistols are overrated, I also agree with the Sex Pistols. Why should anyone have to pay $25,000 to attend a ceremony in their honor?
  • Options
    You have to understand, the sex pistols weren't just a band, they created the punk scene as we know it.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,345
    I find it a joke that these guys get elected in with just 2 albums to their credit and yet they still havn't elected Rush!!! This absolutley disgusts me! How many millions of records has Rush sold and how many albums have they released? Their body of work is at least 20 times that of the Sex Pistols. Who the hell are these people that do the electing???
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347

i agree 100%.......
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Never Mind The Bollocks is the greatest album of the 1970s. In my view.
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    i think it's funny. FUCK THE HALL OF FAME INDEED. whats the point anyway? also the pistols suck and are washed up 50 somethings, but least their sense of humour is still intact
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    ms11781 wrote:
    While I agree with the people that say the Sex Pistols are overrated, I also agree with the Sex Pistols. Why should anyone have to pay $25,000 to attend a ceremony in their honor?

agreed. RnR Hall of Fame is bullshit, and the Sex Pistols were never far from that.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    You have to understand, the sex pistols weren't just a band, they created the punk scene as we know it.

They didn't create the bullshit that is called punk today. No sir.
  • Options
    agree with everything you just said. if the sex pistols are in the hall of fame why not green day? sex pistols are only a legendary [sarcasm]punk[/sarcasm] band cause of their gimmick it has nothing to do with the music.

there arnt many bands responsible for bringing in a new genre of music. the sex pistols deserve a spot in the hall of fame and have the right to say it sucks ass if they think so. sounds like it does. they dont have a 'gimmick'. They expressed themselves in the way they did due to the times they were living in. Green Day has a gimmick and that is trying to be the Sex Pistols when its not necessary anymore.
    "...follow the strangest tribe..." - pj

www.flickr.com/photos/vainch

http://loveanddestruction.blogspot.com/

http://www.davidveentjer.com
  • Options
    BaystoneBaystone Posts: 111
    sorry, a little off topic, but it's about time black sabbath were inducted. weren't they eligible in about 1995?
    I only lied because it was the easiest way to get what I wanted.
  • Options
    The Sex Pistols dont want it because The Clash have already been inducted, thats the plain and simple truth (dont believe all this punk attitude bullshit). If the Sex Pistols were inducted before then they would go and johnny Rotten would happily tell the world how The Clash suck. Anyway, i think they should be inducted for non-muusical reasons, as while they had an awesome manager and were good at promoting themselves their music was actually shit.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    The pistols are a joke, always have been and their reaction to this just proves it. And to those who think they invented punk - you need your head examined. Sid Vicious couldn't even play his instrument.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    The pistols are a joke, always have been and their reaction to this just proves it. And to those who think they invented punk - you need your head examined. Sid Vicious couldn't even play his instrument.

The pistols are to punk what Nirvana is to grunge love them or hate them, theres no point denying there place in the history of music, Jonny Rotten is a very talented musician and his music with Public Image LTD has gone on to prove that, yeah Sid Viscious couldnt play bass but Glen Matlock the original bassist could and was also a very good musician.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    The sex pistols are in there for the same reason nirvana will be there. New sounds in rock dying days (commercialy speaking).

if rush is not in there then rhf sucks.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    JR's just pissed in that he's not getting any money from it. Anytime he's done something for the Pistols since 1979 it's been for one thing: $$$.