Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best."
~ FZ ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    That's a great list. Stringman would have been #1 for me (the unplugged version is good, but the '76 version they refer to is much better), with I'm the Ocean at #2, but I can't disagree with those choices. Mideast Vacation, Surfer Joe, Will to Love are all great songs.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • 1.Cowgirl in the Sand
    2. Big Time
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    good list!

I'm not that fond of Kinda foda wanda though! Othewise i agree with all the other songs on the list.

Captain Kennedy has made my acoustic neil mix tapes and cd's for years I always loved that song. Slowpoke too, I don't think Slowpoke has anything to do with aging hippies though. I'm pretty sure that was a song about him spending time with his children.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Just realized it needs Natural Beauty (from Harvest Moon). Best song on the album.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    cant agree on "razor love" being #2.

my favorite Neil Young song...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    merkinball wrote:
    Just realized it needs Natural Beauty (from Harvest Moon). Best song on the album.

That's the cool thing about neil he has tons of great songs. Even on his weaker albums they always have at least one or two gems.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Actually, the best Neil Young we've ever heard was live. He wasn't even singing alot, just telling stories. I could listen to him forever. He's done that a couple times that we've seen him. In San Diego and at Bridge School. Such a good story teller! You can see why he is such a great songwriter. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I think "Be the Rain" should be number one.

That song is damn good. One of my top ten favorite Neil songs.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:

definitely a fantastic song! did you happen to catch him on the greendale tour? he had all the members of the stage show come out and sing that one together, same as in the greendale movie, to end the show. it was pretty awesome. i thought "greendale" was a fantastic album cover to cover. not as good as prairie wind, but pretty close.

i may be in the minority, or maybe it's because i love neil so much, but i think some of his albums that are referred to as weak are actually very well done. albums like "are you passionate?", "mirror ball", and even most of "life" i listen to pretty regularly. there may be a few duds here and there, but for the most part each album has six or seven songs that i really like. like intodeep said, you can always count on at least a couple of gems. i do have to admit, though, that i'm not the biggest fan of "broken arrow" (it still has "big time" and "scattered" though...) and "trans" (of course)...i even listen to "everybody's rockin'" when i'm in the right kind of mood for it, and like it for what it is.

i definitley love "i'm the ocean", but "mirror ball" also has "peace and love", "throw your hatred down", "downtown", "scenery" and "big green country"...personally i love all these tracks.

"life" has "inca queen", "when your lonely heart breaks" (one of my favourite neil tunes...), "prisoners of rock n' roll", and "cryin' eyes"...again i like all these tunes.

in my opinion, "i'm the ocean" is a solid pick for number one, but there are so many undiscovered neil tunes that people may not have heard that there are a lot of songs that could be on that list. great list of tunes, nonetheless. a credit to his genius i guess. he still has hundreds of songs he has never recorded!

anyway, thanks for posting this blacknapkins. it was very interesting to see the list. keep making the undiscovered tunes neil !!!
    i do have to admit, though, that i'm not the biggest fan of "broken arrow" (it still has "big time" and "scattered" though...) and "re-actor" (of course)...

I love re*act*or! There are two tracks on there that are definately 'unheard gems'. Shots and Southern Pacific. Worth picking up the album just for those two.

BTW, great post agree completely on the rest of it.

• merkinball wrote:
    I love re*act*or! There are two tracks on there that are definately 'unheard gems'. Shots and Southern Pacific. Worth picking up the album just for those two.

BTW, great post agree completely on the rest of it.

hey merkinball, i don't know why i typed re-act-or...i meant to put "trans"...that is the one i'm not fond of, with all the voice distortion and computer sounds and what not...sleepy time makes for typing and brain mistakes...when i saw you write "shots" and "southern pacific" i was thinking, wait a minute... those aren't on "trans"...my bad. yeah, i agree with you on those ones.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    definitely a fantastic song! did you happen to catch him on the greendale tour? he had all the members of the stage show come out and sing that one together, same as in the greendale movie, to end the show. it was pretty awesome. i thought "greendale" was a fantastic album cover to cover. not as good as prairie wind, but pretty close.

I didnt catch him, but I wish I would have gone when he came around.

"Dangerbird" is another overlooked Neil song. Goddamn. Zuma could be my favorite neil album. "lookin for a love" is underrated too.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    I didnt catch him, but I wish I would have gone when he came around.

"Dangerbird" is another overlooked Neil song. Goddamn. Zuma could be my favorite neil album. "lookin for a love" is underrated too.

i love the live version of dangerbird. it's haunting...

i'm sorry to hear you didn't catch the greendale show. it was the whole album played start to finish with the actors and set behind neil and the band. i heard a lot of complaining about the show because the main set was all greendale, but i love the album so i was happy to have had the experience. the encore was great and that's really the only time the audience truly got into it (at least at the show i saw)... they played Hey Hey, My My, Sedan Delivery, Down By The River, Powderfinger, Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll, Cinnamon Girl, and Fuckin' Up. pretty sweet encore, and it appeased some of the fans who may not have been expecting the greendale show for the main set.
  • rolling stone says I'm the Ocean is neil "ranting about kurt cobain, OJ, and bill clinton"

i've listened to that song many times, and i've never caught any of this!!!

and i reread the lyrics just now, and i still don't!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    i love the live version of dangerbird. it's haunting...

He did a really cool solo piano version of Dangerbird on the 2003 euro tour. Its really funny, you hear him start to play the first few notes, he kind of laughs for a second, then kicks into (I think) the only solo version of it hes played.

• in my opinion powderfinger is the best neil young song and one of the greatest songs ever
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    wolfbear wrote:
    Actually, the best Neil Young we've ever heard was live. He wasn't even singing alot, just telling stories. I could listen to him forever. He's done that a couple times that we've seen him. In San Diego and at Bridge School. Such a good story teller! You can see why he is such a great songwriter. :)

you've seen him.....
  • merkinball wrote:
    He did a really cool solo piano version of Dangerbird on the 2003 euro tour. Its really funny, you hear him start to play the first few notes, he kind of laughs for a second, then kicks into (I think) the only solo version of it hes played.

i haven't heard that one, though it sounds interesting. do you know if it was released on something, or is it available anywhere that you are aware of?
  • dan_vedder wrote:
    in my opinion powderfinger is the best neil young song and one of the greatest songs ever
    you are the man

best song ever.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    i haven't heard that one, though it sounds interesting. do you know if it was released on something, or is it available anywhere that you are aware of?

Its available on a few boots, check your PMs and I'll get you a copy.

• "twilight", anyone?
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    StoneG82 wrote:

Loved the album and loved the tour. I saw it at MSG and it was surprising how many people cut him slack and let him do it without many complaints. He threw in a few "classics" at the end to satisfy the traditional fans.

Do yourself a huge favor - track down the edition of the album that has the live DVD from Dublin. He does the whole thing solo acoustic at a cool place called Vicar Street. Fucking great!
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    rolling stone says I'm the Ocean is neil "ranting about kurt cobain, OJ, and bill clinton"

i've listened to that song many times, and i've never caught any of this!!!

and i reread the lyrics just now, and i still don't!

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/fot/ito.htm
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    too bad "out of control" isn't on that list. it's one of his best songs ever. Find the 'silver & gold' live dvd. this song will blow you away.
    I sent this to a buddy months ago he saved the email and called me over the weekend and said he was hunting down the songs he did not already have.

Neil is great.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22