RHCP / The Mars volta- Philly 10/23

pearljam_addictionpearljam_addiction Posts: 668
edited October 2006 in Other Music
anyone Go last night?

The peppers were fucking great, they know how to please the crowd. and they are still fucking crazy. John frusciante is a guitar god. he melted my face all night long. he was just unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

the mars volta, I love them and think they are great but last night they were a bit over the edge. I thought id hear some hits, or at least maybe a song or two from Deloused, but no they did maybe a couple songs and what seemed like a hour long jam. dont get me wrong i loved it and thought it was sick, and Omar is amazing. but i thought as an opening band they would try to appeal to the crowd alittle more.
"I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seen em last week in Meadowlands. You're right, Frusciante is amazing, one of the best shows Ive seen this year.
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    anyone Go last night?

The peppers were fucking great, they know how to please the crowd. and they are still fucking crazy. John frusciante is a guitar god. he melted my face all night long. he was just unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

the mars volta, I love them and think they are great but last night they were a bit over the edge. I thought id hear some hits, or at least maybe a song or two from Deloused, but no they did maybe a couple songs and what seemed like a hour long jam. dont get me wrong i loved it and thought it was sick, and Omar is amazing. but i thought as an opening band they would try to appeal to the crowd alittle more.
    i was there last night...i didnt quite get the whole mars volta thing...i actually found it quite annoying...almost as bad as SK :eek:

the show was good, was hoping to hear under the bridge but loved hearing give it away now and soul to squeeze!!!!!!!!

did you catch when the tech was tuning johns guitar and started playing alive? heehee. the guy behind me said to his girl "i think thats alive". haha!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I've caught the Peppers twice on this tour so far and they kicked my ass each time. They may not change up their setlist as much as PJ but damn they know how to put on a killer show. The extended jams at the beginning and end of their shows really do showcase their talent and musicianship.
  • I was there....I friggin LOVED Mars Volta!

The Chili's were better than expected for this jaded old Chili-head. I really didn't even recognize any of the new material (cept for the first hit) but their showmanship and chops were outstanding.

Been seeing them for nearly twenty years now so the changes over time are obvious.
    Like the time they headlined the Chestnut Cabaret in Philly (Oct 22, 1987 to be exact..I think) and after the show they (Anthony specifically) had to sell their own t-shirts at the little merch table.
    Or who could forget the time they headlined the Temple University Spring Fling concert with Fishbone, Thelonious Monster and the Busboys also on the bill. (March or April of 1988)
    Anthony was so sick that afternoon he couldn't take the stage so Angelo from Fishbone had to front the Chili's. That was my last time seeing the original guitarist too.

Some observations from last night:
    1-Anthony ought to leave his extra layers on. Homeboy is gettin a little thick and out of shape these days.
    2-John is obviously a Top Ten rock guitar god these days but is also on the Top Five list of ugliest living rock musicians. ;-)
    3-I wonder how many people realize that Flea's bass is actually a growth out of his hip and can't be removed other than surgically. Have you ever seen him with out it?????
    4-Chad is chad....but what is up with those white jumpsuits?????
    5-A surprising number of people seemed really into The Mars Volta this time around (compared to their System of a Down opening slot a ways back). And that's a good trend.
    6-My favorite Chili's concerts (with Arik Marshall on guitar that tour) are still the three I saw when they headlined Lollapalooza in 1992. Because I damn sure wasn't there to see some band that came on 2nd each day called........PEARL JAM! ;-)
  • I was there....I friggin LOVED Mars Volta!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Volta.From what I've read most of people were not into their 30-minute jam.But they played Day of The Baphomets, which was great!How's the new drummer?
    11/01/96 warsaw
    06/15/00 katowice
    06/16/00 katowice
    09/22/06 prague
    09/23/06 berlin
    09/25/06 vienna
    06/13/07 chorzow
  • omniscient wrote:
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the Volta.From what I've read most of people were not into their 30-minute jam.But they played Day of The Baphomets, which was great!How's the new drummer?

The new drummer was good but not as much a presence a Theo. They are so damn cohesive and play off each other like nobodys business.
    They did play exactly an hour too.....

I've been going to concerts for 31 years now and bands like them just don't come around much. I expect they won't be around forever either.

Admittedly they'll never be to everyones liking which is fine with me.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Went last minute (bought tickets for the sold out show on Saturday afternoon on the comcast website) and got section 123, 4th row. So I was on Flea's side by the little mini stage he kept soloing on in the 4th row for face. I love when venues sell tickets last minute. :) Plus I got to say hi to Questlove from the Roots as he walked by. He watched a little bit of Mars Volta and then I never saw him again the rest of the night.

It was a fun show and they rock, but I really missed the interaction with the crowd that PJ has. Plus I was talking to Matt Cord before the show and he showed me the setlist so I was kinda bummed that they weren't going to be playing Under the Bridge. He even said to me off the air that their setlists are nothing compared to Pearl Jam's and that they've been playing essentially the same sets since August. It was good to hear him sticking up for the boys ... lol
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    wow what an amazing show

'dont forget me', 'blood sugar sex magik'!?!?!
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    LedZepFan wrote:
    wow what an amazing show

'dont forget me', 'blood sugar sex magik'!?!?!

yeah I saw them last month in canada and was pumped to hear bssm in particular. They're good on this tour and TMV have grown on me too. I liked Tetragrammaton (sp?).
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I was there....I friggin LOVED Mars Volta!

5-A surprising number of people seemed really into The Mars Volta this time around (compared to their System of a Down opening slot a ways back). And that's a good trend.

Awesome i'm seeing them tonight. I saw them on the system tour too and i was worried it might be like that again. I'm upset Jon is gone but i'm sure it will be great still :) Thanks forthe review.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I had a great time at the show last night. John is the man!

I need some help from chili pepper fans. they played a song that i have not heard that i loved. I own blood sugar sex magik, californication, and stadium arcadiam. I also have What Hits. I don't think it was on any of those. I don't remember much about the song it had the lyric "never alone" in it. I know that is not much it was a great song John went off on it.

I realize no one will probably know the song from that does anyone know the set list from last night's show? I went to the RHCP page, but you have to be a fan club member to check out their forums. Anyone a member? Anyone know what the setlist was. Maybe if i saw it i could pick the song out.

Thank you so much for any help!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Here's the setlist from Atlanta (10/26). I don't the songs are in order but hopefully it will help you nonetheless. I wasn't at the show but got the setlist from the Peppers site. It's hard to tell what song you may be talking about just from those two words. If you can think of any other parts of the song I may be able to figure it out. I'm generally not that great with remembering lyrics. Judging from the setlist though the show looked like it must have been pretty solid, especially with Havana Affair, I Could Have Lied, Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Jam/Can't Stop
    Dani California
    Charlie
    Snow ((Hey Oh))
    Don't Forget Me
    C'mon Girl
    Californication
    Throw Away Your Television
    Havana Affair
    Scar Tissue
    Tell Me Baby*
    Me and My Friends
    Readymade
    Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (John sang and played solo)
    Bloodsugarsexmagik
    By the Way
    London Calling/Right On Time
    *ENCORE*
    Drum Homage Medoly
    Sunday Bloody Sunday (John sang)
    I Could Have Lied
    You're Gonna Get Yours/Give It Away
    Chad/John/Flea Jam
    funkymonk wrote:
    Here's the setlist from Atlanta (10/26). I don't the songs are in order but hopefully it will help you nonetheless. I wasn't at the show but got the setlist from the Peppers site. It's hard to tell what song you may be talking about just from those two words. If you can think of any other parts of the song I may be able to figure it out. I'm generally not that great with remembering lyrics. Judging from the setlist though the show looked like it must have been pretty solid, especially with Havana Affair, I Could Have Lied, Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Jam/Can't Stop
    Dani California
    Charlie
    Snow ((Hey Oh))
    Don't Forget Me
    C'mon Girl
    Californication
    Throw Away Your Television
    Havana Affair
    Scar Tissue
    Tell Me Baby*
    Me and My Friends
    Readymade
    Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (John sang and played solo)
    Bloodsugarsexmagik
    By the Way
    London Calling/Right On Time
    *ENCORE*
    Drum Homage Medoly
    Sunday Bloody Sunday (John sang)
    I Could Have Lied
    You're Gonna Get Yours/Give It Away
    Chad/John/Flea Jam

you are the MAN! I'll have to sit down over the weekend and figure it out. The show was great. Chad came out after the encore and did a drum solo and the drums just went into sunday bloody sunday and John walks out from the back playing along and runs up to the mic and they do the first verse and chorus! I could of lied was a very pleasant surprise it was great. john came out after the show and said if Alan Hayes ( i think that is the name he said) is in the audiance or if any of you all know alan hayes tell him i said thank you he was the first guy i played guitar with and all i know is he is in Atlanta now and i've been thinking about him all show.

It was better then i expected. john seemed to be on fire :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I was glad that they switched Under the Bridge for I Could Have Lied at one of the two shows that I was at.
    Oh,

Mars volta were great too. I am actually more of a TMV fan then a RHCP fan. Some of the RHCP fans seemed a little shocked by the music. Particularly the 14 year olds in the crowd. It was funny to watch their expression. they ended with Viscera Eyes and Day of he Baphomets which i think is a great one tow punch to end the show!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    The song was don't forget me. I've never heard that before, but it was great live last night :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Yeah that song is off of By the Way and it's a great song too, especially when performed live.
  • Solat13 wrote:
    Went last minute (bought tickets for the sold out show on Saturday afternoon on the comcast website) and got section 123, 4th row. So I was on Flea's side by the little mini stage he kept soloing on in the 4th row for face. I love when venues sell tickets last minute. :)

I know what you mean. I just got similar seats for tonight's show in Cleveland. God, I can't wait :).