BLOC PARTY- A Weekend In the City

pearljam_addictionpearljam_addiction Posts: 668
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Opinions???

I bought it at Target and got 2 bonus tracks, after listening to it twice, its pretty good, nothing like Silent Alarm - NOTHING, its a Major Departure,its a lot slower, but i think it can stand up on its own. there are a few awesome songs, but no Real high energy songs l ike silent alarm had, plus theres alot of techno junk throughout some songs

Silent alarm was my favorite album of 2005, at this point i cant see AWITC taking the same crown. my grade : B
"I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i just got it and it is great. the reviews ive read before picking it up where all correct in that it is a slower and big departure from silent alarm. i think uniform will be an instant classic. this album will def. grow on me.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    icarus wrote:
    these songs are not on the album. find it, its much better than the actual album. secrets and once and future king are definitely their best new songs.

* 01 Emma Kate's Accident
    * 02 Version 2.0
    * 03 England
    * 04 We Were Lovers
    * 05 The Once and Future King
    * 06 Secrets
    * 07 Atonement
    * 08 Cain Said To Abel
    * 09 Rhododendron
    * 10 Selfish Son
    * 11 Visions Of Heaven

where are they then? im not too impressed with the new album. as people have mentioned, it's just a bit too low-key for me. it's cool that they're changing, im just not a fan of the new direction... i liked the high energy bloc party.
  • I've had one listen, and I didn't like it. Not sure if I'll even give it another chance.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I picked it up yesterday and have only listened to it twice....but so far I think it's amazing!!!!!! All the negative talk on the board had me disappointed - but i'm glad I ignored all y'all. It's obviously a departure from Silent Alarm, but I think it stacks up nicely.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Opinions???

I bought it at Target and got 2 bonus tracks, after listening to it twice, its pretty good, nothing like Silent Alarm - NOTHING, its a Major Departure,its a lot slower, but i think it can stand up on its own. there are a few awesome songs, but no Real high energy songs l ike silent alarm had, plus theres alot of techno junk throughout some songs

Silent alarm was my favorite album of 2005, at this point i cant see AWITC taking the same crown. my grade : B

I'm going to pick it up at Target today. I like "I Still Remember".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • i had never really listened to them much before, so tuesday i bought the new album as well as silent alarm. i have to say i actually prefer the new one. it seems more focused and cohesive. the melodies seem stronger and i just like the whole feel of the album better than silent alarm. but both are pretty good!
  • Sawyer wrote:
    enjoy the bonus tracks.....they kill.......and if anyone can send me 'atonement' please PM me.
    Yeah Secrets and Once & future King Are Awesome
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • I downloaded it from emusic.com on Tuesday night, and I really like it. I almost like it better than Silent Alarm. I wasn't sure what to expect because of the mixed reviews I read, but I was quite impressed.

I like what they are doing with the bonus tracks. You get certian tracks if you download the album from iTunes, and then there's a different bonus track on the emusic.com version, and appartently the Target CD has yet other tracks. Kind of a cool idea.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    allornone wrote:
    I downloaded it from emusic.com on Tuesday night, and I really like it. I almost like it better than Silent Alarm. I wasn't sure what to expect because of the mixed reviews I read, but I was quite impressed.

I like what they are doing with the bonus tracks. You get certian tracks if you download the album from iTunes, and then there's a different bonus track on the emusic.com version, and appartently the Target CD has yet other tracks. Kind of a cool idea.

how is that cool? it's a way to rape the fans by making them buy the album 3-4 times to get all those songs.
    i had never really listened to them much before, so tuesday i bought the new album as well as silent alarm. i have to say i actually prefer the new one. it seems more focused and cohesive. the melodies seem stronger and i just like the whole feel of the album better than silent alarm. but both are pretty good!

Yeah I had heard they were pretty good so one day I listened to Silent Alarm at FYE. It was ok, a little too techno/dance music for my taste. I really liked "I Still Remember" so I bought the new album last night and so far I really like it. I think I will give Silent Alarm another try.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I'm really liking the new album, solid stuff.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• I need to spend some more time (work/sick kids etc) but it didn't floor me..yet it didn't suck either...
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    i've listened a few times and i'm not super impressed. starts off decent but then everything sort of sounds the same by track 7 or 8.

a very weak departure from silent alarm.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    toddiet123 wrote:
    I need to spend some more time (work/sick kids etc) but it didn't floor me..yet it didn't suck either...
    Indeed...it doesn't "suck"...

But I've had and been listening to this album since last year and yet the only songs that I can remember are "Hunting For Witches", "The Prayer" and "I Still Remember" (fortunately!). Un like Silent Alarm which kicked in and I fell for immediately.

I guess I'm disappointed because I didn't want to have to *work* this hard to simply like their music.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    The more I listen to it the more I like it. I have not heard Silent Alarm so I didn't really go into "Weekend" with any expectations, except for "I Still Remember". I am really enjoying it.