Contemporary Christmas songs!

pearljam_addictionpearljam_addiction Posts: 668
edited December 2006 in Other Music
/ok guys i know its a bit corny , but i need you help. im compiling a list of contemporary christmas songs, and need some suggestiions. the songs dont have to be original, they can be classics just sung by contemporary artists, mainly from the Pop/rock world

here's some of the songs i have so far

Band aid- Do they know it christmas
Tom Petty- Christmas all over the world
Pearl jam- someday at christmas, Angel, Let me Sleep
John Lennon- happy xmas, war is over
Wham- Last Christmas
the Pretenders- 2000 miles
the Waitresses- Christmas wrapping
U2- Christmas , baby please come home
"I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• river - sarah mclachlan
    little drummer boy - bright eyes
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Christmas Song - Dave Matthews Band
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Sufjan Stevens just put out a huge colection of Christmas songs he's done ove the past five or six years. There's some great ones on there like Emmanuel and Silent Night and a bunch others.

here's the full tracklist for anyone interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Christmas-Sufjan-Stevens/dp/B000HLDF0O/sr=8-1/qid=1166751418/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6701383-6664140?ie=UTF8&s=music
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • alobar wrote:
    Sufjan Stevens just put out a huge colection of Christmas songs he's done ove the past five or six years. There's some great ones on there like Emmanuel and Silent Night and a bunch others.

here's the full tracklist for anyone interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Christmas-Sufjan-Stevens/dp/B000HLDF0O/sr=8-1/qid=1166751418/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6701383-6664140?ie=UTF8&s=music
    thanks man! yeah i picked that album up already , its great , i love Sufjan !! he does such a great job

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

• ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    Christmas at the zoo- Flaming Lips
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    ramspam wrote:
    Christmas at the zoo- Flaming Lips

Hahaha...I love that song!
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    the Dandy Warhols - Little Drummer Boy
    Flaming Lips - Christmas At The Zoo
    Flaming Lips - White Christmas
    Grandaddy - Alan Parsons In A Winter Wonderland
    Ron Sexsmith - Maybe This Christmas
    Belle And Sebastian - O Come, O Come Emmanuel
    Bright Eyes - Blue Christmas
    Damien Rice & Lisa Hannigan - Silent Night
    Badly Drawn Boy - Donna and Blitzen
    Coldplay - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    Low - Silent Night
    Weezer - The Christmas Song
    Beck - Little Drum Machine Boy
    Sonic Youth - Santa Doesn't Cop Out On Dope
    Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Dont Want To Fight)
    the Pogues - Fairytale Of New York
    the Pretenders - 2000 Miles
    U2 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Deck The Halls
    Dido - On Christmas Day
    Snow Patrol - When I Get Home For Christmas
    Johnny Cash - Little Drummer Boy

+ Sufjan Stevens and Sarah McLachlan have released great Christmas albums this year
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • you must, must must add blues traveler - christmas...unbelievable! :)
    also thanks to lizard for her suggestion of merry axemas volumes 1 and 2....arranged by steve vai...some excellent remade xmas tunes by contemporary musicians...excellent stuff. i also am quite fond of the grp christmas anthologies...all jazz musicians, sooo good. :cool:

oh and hello....john lennon christmas (the war is over) classic!!!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Tom Waits- Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    check out "maybe this christmas" cd...it has some really great songs on it. my personal fav is jack johnson's "rudolph the red-nosed reindeer". we have a pretty awesome christmas cd at work...it has christmas songs by run-dmc, death cab, the kinks, and others i can't remember. i'll see if i can get the playlist :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Think that almost everyone here in this boards HATE this infernal Last christmas song. Last christmas I gave you my.....

Horror

If evil would be a song that's what it would sound like

:)

But found a version which is really cool

Check out

http://www.tapeterecords.de/uploads/media/Last_Christmas_01.mp3
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I can't believe no ones has mentioned the greatest Christmas song of all time:

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I can't believe no ones has mentioned the greatest Christmas song of all time:

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York

I mentioned it ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Todd76 wrote:
    I mentioned it ;)

Oh yeah. Sorry! :o
  • I really like The Bare Naked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlin version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". I've been hearing it on the radio but don't know what cd its off of. Does anyone know where I can get a download of it?
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Buy Michael Franti's version of What's This (from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas), the money goes to the Red Cross Anti-Mine Campaign and it's a great song!

http://www.spearheadvibrations.com/
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Leonard Cohen version of Hallelujah is amazing!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    More Flaming Lips ~ A Change at Christmas (say it isn't so) ~ from the Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell EP. And if they ever put out the Christmas on Mars movie....
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • I think it's been said, but my favourite Christmas song is The Pogues, 'Fairytale of New York'. I think it's amazing.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    river - sarah mclachlan
    little drummer boy - bright eyes
    my god, the sarah mclachlan cover is not a patch on the Joni Mitchell original. The "I wish I had a river so long, I would teach my feet to FLYYYYYYYY" part is spinetingling.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Dont forget about cornell awesome version of ave maria!!!
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    I really like The Bare Naked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlin version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". I've been hearing it on the radio but don't know what cd its off of. Does anyone know where I can get a download of it?

it's on the "maybe this christmas" cd...the first one i believe. it has a yellowish cover w/ julius (the paul frank monkey) and a christmas. the cd also has jack johnson's "rudolph". it's my fav. christmas cd :) i'm sure you can find it on itunes!!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • DeniDeni Posts: 233
    Does anybody know a contemporary Christmas song that had somebody singing and then in the background you can hear Bing Crosby's original version of Little Drummer Boy. It might be U2, but I'm not sure. My mother has been raving about it! (It would be a song my mother would like, but I guess you'd have to know my mother for that to be of any help to you. lol)

Anyway, I'd like to find it and download it for her because she loves it so much, but I have no idea who sings it or if it has a name other than just "Little Drummer Boy." She said it had a funky drum beat that she really liked.
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
  • Deni wrote:
    Does anybody know a contemporary Christmas song that had somebody singing and then in the background you can hear Bing Crosby's original version of Little Drummer Boy. It might be U2, but I'm not sure. My mother has been raving about it! (It would be a song my mother would like, but I guess you'd have to know my mother for that to be of any help to you. lol)

Anyway, I'd like to find it and download it for her because she loves it so much, but I have no idea who sings it or if it has a name other than just "Little Drummer Boy." She said it had a funky drum beat that she really liked.

are you refering to the David bowie and Bing crosby duet? its called "Little Drummer boy ( peace on Earth)", you can find it on a number of christmas cd's , like "NOW thats what i call christmas"

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Here's the Bowie/Bing Crosby duet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA

Fairytale of New York video (recognize the cop?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMmkacR768

Saw the Pogues a few months ago (with Shane), this was a highlight of the show, and definately my favorite christmas song too.

Here's another link I found, the Pogues performing Fairytale of New York about 2 weeks ago.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHNIoVym_ys
    Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycFtUsdvAbE
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Dont forget about cornell awesome version of ave maria!!!

ähm, that's neither a Christmas song, nor contemporary (written by Franz Schubert in 1825).
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
    merkinball wrote:
    Here's the Bowie/Bing Crosby duet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA

Thanks merkinball! That might be it. I'm gonna show that to my mom and see if it's the right one. :D

Peace and Love
    Deni
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    that Bright Eyes christmas record is pretty much the only christmas music I listen to.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    my god, the sarah mclachlan cover is not a patch on the Joni Mitchell original. The "I wish I had a river so long, I would teach my feet to FLYYYYYYYY" part is spinetingling.

i'm not a fan of joni's original
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    are you refering to the David bowie and Bing crosby duet? its called "Little Drummer boy ( peace on Earth)", you can find it on a number of christmas cd's , like "NOW thats what i call christmas"

I looked for it and couldn't find it on Now that's what I call Christmas. But there are lots of volumes of that. Do you know which volume it is on or the name of another CD with it on it.

It is the right song. I asked my mama. Now we want to get it. Thanks for all your help!

Peace and Love
    Deni