Options

Oh man, banjos are so annoying

JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Had this program on on public radio and it was talking about banjos, and I just can't tolerate the sound of them and turned the radio off. I hope PJ (esp. Ed) NEVER decided to play one (ukele is okay!).
R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    What about the banjo in 'Old Man' by Neil? If you even hate that you're crazy. That's the best banjo part I've ever heard!
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Have you ever given Bela Fleck a listen? He's a banjo player, and simply put, he's fucking amazing.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Have you ever given Bela Fleck a listen? He's a banjo player, and simply put, he's fucking amazing.

So true ... he proves that a banjo in the right hands can be a rockin' thing. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    TimberTimber Posts: 38
    sufjan stevens :)
    i am disco
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    banjo kicks ass.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Dick Jones wrote:
    What about the banjo in 'Old Man' by Neil? If you even hate that you're crazy. That's the best banjo part I've ever heard!

Glad to see the reponses kicked off to this thread w/ that! So true. Beck uses banjos here and there as well.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Barney McKenna's the man! So good I named my budgie after him:

http://www.folkworld.de/23/p/dub23.jpg
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Dick Jones wrote:

You know, I just wasn't even thinking about Neil. I like that song! Maybe its just a kind of banjo. Like bluegrass, that I don't like. Okay I'll give Bela Fleck a listen maybe, but I'm not making any promises!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Not a big fan of the banjo but check out the Gordon Stone Trio,he makes it sound like a guitar,it's sick.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • Options
    It depends who's playing the Banjo.
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    It depends who's playing the Banjo.

Yes, indeed. And it's not the size of the banjo, it's how you use it.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    There is a Ben Kweller song w/ a banjo that sounds really cool. Can't think of the name at the moment.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    I would love to hear a banjo in a PJ song.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    JaneNY wrote:
    You know, I just wasn't even thinking about Neil. I like that song! Maybe its just a kind of banjo. Like bluegrass, that I don't like. Okay I'll give Bela Fleck a listen maybe, but I'm not making any promises!

Thats a shame, I love bluegrass. Just such a fun feel to it. I love hearing all the picking and fingerwork that goes into a banjo. So damn impressive. My suggestion for Bela Fleck is his CD Outbound, or if you can get ahold of his live stuff, that is good too.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    +1

Amazing live show.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    If you like bluegrass (and therefore, Banjo), check out Old & In the Way. Jerry Garcia, Peter Rowan, David Grisman & a few others playing bluegrass in the early 70s.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Banjo used in the right way can be awesome..that Travis song "sing"...also a song on a Hayden album uses it brilliantly..and that freaky kid in Deliverance...awesome
  • Options
    Timber wrote:
    sufjan stevens :)
    Sufjan Stevens is amazing , great stuff on the banjo!!

i like banjos only used in the right form, when it gets too southern twangy, i get turned off
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    uncle tupelo's new madrid has recently made a believer outta me. the instrument no longer sucks.
  • Options
    SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    No instrument sucks. It is all in the listener.

Check out Doc Boggs. Old timey, mountain music. The white Robert Johnson, is a way he has been described. Some of the darkest, funkiest, haunting, powerful, spooky music ever.

William Elliot Whitmore--Amazing gothic, gospel, banjo, county blues.

16 Horsepower.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho