Need Song Suggestions

onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
edited April 2008 in Other Music
So my Gramps turns 80 this weekend and we are throwing a big party for him. He wants to hear my brother and I sing and I am having trouble picking the right songs. Any suggestions would be great. Hopefully something I could arrange on the guitar or piano.

Thanks in advance everyone!!
"...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Given to Fly and Tiny Dancer.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Anything by the Beatles should work. Even older folks can usually appreciate them. If you want to be really ambitious, you could always try to arrange an old swing tune from the 40's for guitar. Maybe something like In the Mood.

Edit: I just realize that In the Mood has no vocals and you said he wanted to hear you sing, so disregard that. I still think a Beatles tune would be a good choice. In My Life, Yesterday, Dear Prudence, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Ticket To Ride - any of those would be good.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    WHEN YOU WAKE UP FEELING OLD
    wilco

When you wake up
    Feelin old
    At this piano filled with souls
    Some strange purse
    Stuffed nervous with gold
    Can you be where you want to be?

Walk down any street
    You can find
    Look at any clock telling time
    Sing some strange verse
    From some strange song of vines
    And youll be where you want to be

I know I can't sing
    Until she brings the song to life
    And I blend with kings
    Id never change a thing

Who knows anything
    I don't know
    There are so many things
    I must leave alone
    Some strange person is calling you their home
    Can you be where you want to be?

Can you be
    Where you want to be?
    Can you be
    Where you want to be?
    Can you be
    Where you want to be?
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    OLD MAN - Neil Young
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Beatles - In My Life
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Well, you want something humorous, heartwarming, and sentimental without being slushy. Something an old fella would like. I'm trying to think. My dad's eighty-two, and the only music he likes is the sound of the pneumatic drill because it makes him money ... so he's not the best example, to help.

Let's see. I know! Try some of the Rat Pack's stuff. Get croonin'.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    the who - my generation
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    Some good suggestions. I'm already doing Dylan's Forever Young. And I was considering the Beatles In My Life. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming! :)
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • ALive.

hhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyGRANDPAaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhIs still alive heeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy
  • onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    Anyone got any more?