Tell Me About Foo Fighters

Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Well, I'm really liking Let It Die, the song on the radio now.

And I looked in my collection and realize I have There is Nothing Left to Lose and from what I recall it's a good album and I like it a lot.

So....where are all the Foo Fighters fans?

Are the other records pretty solid and worth picking up? How many other records do they have?

Let's talk Foo Fighters!

p.s. --- if there is already a Foos thread, my bad but I didn't see one.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    The Foos have 6 studio albums, 7 if you count "skin and bones" the acoustic cd/dvd.

They are a great band, but really I like them better live. Their live shows fill what seems to be missing on the album. The albums are good, but I don't know, somethings missing. Echos, silence, patience, Grace is a fantastic album, I liked it about as much as the first couple albums(it has let it die on it), but their live show is what the Foos are about. They get shitted on in here, but nevermind the nayseyers. Foos rock your ass off live period. Dave is so funny. His on stage banter is an added bonus. :D

DVDS: The official ones are Everyywhere but home (Great dvd) and "Skin and Bones" Very cool to see the foos play acoustic almost Benaroya hall like pj did back in 2003.

I heard the UK version of skin and bones contained an electric concert of a festival apperance they did as a bonus disc. Didn't buy it cause it wasn't a universal region dvd and I think most US dvd players play Region 2 dvds. :(
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    They were once amazing but I think like many bands the output has gone downhill since the beginning. I still purchase every record on day of release and while don't know if i've ever been really disappointed (barring some tracks) I've def not been blown away with the majority. Here's my ranking.

1. The Colour and the Shape ( a must have record!!!)
    2. Self titled
    3. There is Nothing Left to Lose (where it starts to get hit or miss)
    4. Echoes, Silence....
    5. In Your Honor (1 disc rock, 1 disc acoustic)
    6. One By One (translated much better live)

Live is the best place to hear these guys. The smaller the venue, the better
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Just buy every album. You wont be sorry. Some people say that One By One wasn't that great but I love it. Then again I love Ghost and Evacuation. You should probably buy The Colour and the Shape and the self titled first. As for dvd's Everywhere But Home is my favourite.
  • Just buy every album. You wont be sorry. Some people say that One By One wasn't that great but I love it. Then again I love Ghost and Evacuation. You should probably buy The Colour and the Shape and the self titled first. As for dvd's Everywhere But Home is my favourite.

That's probably what I'll do.

I love Ghost and Evacuation too.
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    I still consider myself to be a fan (sort of)

But reading the other posts in this thread I'm amazed to see people saying they're better live than on record.......

To put it bluntly they suck wookiee live, dragging Stacked actors out for far too long, ruining the ending of my hero and dave screaming and shouting the lyrics or sometimes just not even bothering to pronounce the words and just letting out a loud noise! Oh and being really boring with their setlists (Ever heard of variety Dave?)

First 3 Albums ? fantastic
    One By One ? Piss poor apart from Times Like These
    Double album Patchy
    New one still patchy

As I've posted before their downturn came when Taylor Hawkins joined and Dave developed a Man Crush on him. He's really not that good! Just a Stewart Copeland Wannabe with a loud mouth and Daves tongue tossing his salad.

I also hate the way they have become the "official rock band" for Radio 1 in the Uk, it seems that all the Dj's on there are required to mention them and how wonderful they are every 5 mins! GRRRRRR
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    red mos wrote:
    The Foos have 6 studio albums, 7 if you count "skin and bones" the acoustic cd/dvd.

They are a great band, but really I like them better live. Their live shows fill what seems to be missing on the album. The albums are good, but I don't know, somethings missing. Echos, silence, patience, Grace is a fantastic album, I liked it about as much as the first couple albums(it has let it die on it), but their live show is what the Foos are about. They get shitted on in here, but nevermind the nayseyers. Foos rock your ass off live period. Dave is so funny. His on stage banter is an added bonus. :D

DVDS: The official ones are Everyywhere but home (Great dvd) and "Skin and Bones" Very cool to see the foos play acoustic almost Benaroya hall like pj did back in 2003.

I heard the UK version of skin and bones contained an electric concert of a festival apperance they did as a bonus disc. Didn't buy it cause it wasn't a universal region dvd and I think most US dvd players play Region 2 dvds. :(

Skin and Bones in the UK is indeed a 2 disc collection featuring the accoustic show, plus their live performance from Hyde Park in front of about 100,000 fans from the same year, in all honesty I watch the accoustic dvd a lot more.
    The Hyde park show features guest appearences from Lemmy from Motorhead and Roger Taylor and Brian May of Queen in case you were wondering.
    ESPG is a fantastic album, I also enjoy In Your Honour, the self titled debut is the best Foos album in my opinion, TCATS comes in second I'm one of the minorities who would take One by One over TINLTL, so to summarise that into an order:

1. s/t
    2. The Colour and the Shape
    3. Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
    4. In Your Honour
    5. One by One
    6. There is Nothing Left to Lose

For me anyways.:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    3manstack wrote:
    I still consider myself to be a fan (sort of)

But reading the other posts in this thread I'm amazed to see people saying they're better live than on record.......

To put it bluntly they suck wookiee live, dragging Stacked actors out for far too long, ruining the ending of my hero and dave screaming and shouting the lyrics or sometimes just not even bothering to pronounce the words and just letting out a loud noise! Oh and being really boring with their setlists (Ever heard of variety Dave?)

First 3 Albums ? fantastic
    One By One ? Piss poor apart from Times Like These
    Double album Patchy
    New one still patchy

As I've posted before their downturn came when Taylor Hawkins joined and Dave developed a Man Crush on him. He's really not that good! Just a Stewart Copeland Wannabe with a loud mouth and Daves tongue tossing his salad.

I also hate the way they have become the "official rock band" for Radio 1 in the Uk, it seems that all the Dj's on there are required to mention them and how wonderful they are every 5 mins! GRRRRRR

Give up on Radio 1 dude, seriously that shit is enough to put me of music, just wait till the Chilis release they're next album, the Foos will be long forgotten on there.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    you MUST have "the colour and the shape"
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980

Completely off topic but I only realised yesterday that Stewart Copeland was responsible for the soundtrack of my childhood - no, not The Police, but the music for Spyro The Dragon video game for the Playstation. I'd no idea.

And Foo Fighters are alright, they've got some good singles. But eh, they all sound the same to me.

There's some DJ on Radio 2 who plays good rock music on Saturday night. Can't remember his name but he's American and he plays good American rock music.
  • corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139
    They are a really, really, REALLY boring band. Grohl's style of playing (both drums and guitar) is bland all over. His voice is monotonous to the highest degree (there are no songs where he could be regarded as interesting and diverse vocalist).
    Throw rocks at me if you want but Foo Fighters is a sucky band writing catchy tunes and playing on MTV award shows.
    Don't go messing with machoes!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    my interest in the foos has diminished with every release after TCATS. however in their defense, i will say that if what you want is just a balls to the floor rock band live, then the foos are your boys.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139
    Come to think of it, "Foo" (at least how it sounds) mean Ewww! in Russian.
    Don't go messing with machoes!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    Awesome live band. I thought their latest album was very good. The last couple weren't the greatest, but they came back strong with "Echoes....."
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I really like the Foo Fighters and saw them live for the first time this year and thought they were great. I like all their albums but my favorite is the Colour & the Shape.
  • CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    Well, I'm really liking Let It Die, the song on the radio now.

And I looked in my collection and realize I have There is Nothing Left to Lose and from what I recall it's a good album and I like it a lot.

So....where are all the Foo Fighters fans?

Are the other records pretty solid and worth picking up? How many other records do they have?

Let's talk Foo Fighters!

p.s. --- if there is already a Foos thread, my bad but I didn't see one.

there are many people here who hate the foo, but I love them, they are my second favorite band. The Colour and the Shape and the latest album (ESP&G) are probably the best, followed perhaps by their self titled debut and One by One. I liked them between 95 and 98 but I didn't REALLY get into them until the Colour and Shape in 98. I heard everlong on the radio and was just completely blown away. ESP&G had the similar effect.

They are a great live band. Dave Grohl connects with everyone in the arena like Vedder and he also tells hilarious stories. I saw them last winter and when they come on stage it's like being hit in the face with a tornado of sound. it's awesome.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Foo fighters it's a great rock band.

speaking of dave, he couldnt' have been the best drummer of 90's but the guy rocked and still rocks with fuckin passion, also How many musicians 'not singers' have came from a great band and later reach a succesful level with their own band? not many.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I own every album by Foo and I really enjoy them. They aren't my most favorite band, but easily fall into my top 10.

I love them even more after seeing them live last month.
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I have every CD and have found all-time favorite songs on every one of them. Dave Grohl is phenomenal and as mentioned earlier in this thread, finds a way to connect with everybody. He is also one of the funniest guys you will ever see live.

The band has so much energy, they really give you your money's worth and they play their music tight. I never get tired of seeing them. and I'll say it again: Dave has the best scream in rock music today.

They freakin ROCK!! My 2nd favorite band to PJ
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    My fav is the self titled one. Dave is the only musician to record on that album except Greg Dulli who did a guitar part.

Foo Fighters are a good band but they are a 'Safe' band. They won't challenge you or change that much, you always kinda know what your gonna get. 'The Colour and the Shape' is the 'definitive' foo album.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    mole1985 wrote:
    My fav is the self titled one. Dave is the only musician to record on that album except Greg Dulli who did a guitar part.

Foo Fighters are a good band but they are a 'Safe' band. They won't challenge you or change that much, you always kinda know what your gonna get. 'The Colour and the Shape' is the 'definitive' foo album.

I think they have changed quite a bit. If you look at their self titled album, it's a very mid-90s punk album-a good one. ESP&G is very different from that. Yes some of the songs sound like a typical foo song (long road to ruin) but others go off in weird directions.