so saw linkin park and cornell......

A Surprise LeftA Surprise Left Posts: 743
edited October 2007 in Other Music
i went and saw these two acts on sunday night and i was very impressed, i must say. cornell is by far the best support act i have seen. most support acts are a total bore lets be honest, but there were a lot of people at this gig who were there specfically to see him and waited til he finished to grab a beer. he played "hunger strike" and he completely nailed it IMO. linkin park were also very good, even if it was a greatest hits setlist really. i don't know how chester screams night after night like that and doesn't shoot off his voice, mike shinoda is also a very talented guy, he raps, plays guitar and piano and is the main songwriter. the rest of the band would be pretty easily replaced though.
The wind is blowing cold
Have we lost our way tonight?
Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
Running further from what’s right
And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
Where did we go wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    hm. Don't forget that DJ guy...he is the most talented one I am pretty sure!
    Unfortunately Cornell cancelled his gig at Sziget Fesztival so now I will never know how he sounds live :mad: but I saw Linkin Park twice this year support Pearl Jam and they were magnificient!!! Really.
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    whats cornell doing opening for those clowns
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • linkin park supported pearl jam? cornell is a bit of an odd choice to support linkin park but i was honestly very impressed with both acts. i have heard that he is a bit hit and miss live but he was certainly more hit than miss. he probably should have played more solo material but guess he wants to play the songs people know. it would have also being good if linkin park played more material that weren't singles but see above. his 20 second dream during "giving up" was impressive.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • When I first found out Cornell was supporting Linkin Park, I was so disappointed! cos at that time there was no mention of him having solo side shows and I'm not that much of a Linkin Park fan. So instead I crossed my fingers and waited it out to see if he would announce some later on and thank god he did, so I'll be seeing him in Melbourne next week, cant wait!

by the way how long was his set supporting Linkin Park?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I be hearing hunger strike was awesome.

I admit cornel opening for linken park seems odd, but glad it worked out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    i don't know how chester screams night after night like that and doesn't shoot off his voice.

For recording, he uses a special mic. He is NOT screaming on their recordings. They may be running his voice through a processor when they play live, I don't know.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • I'm looking for pictures and reviews of these Australian shows with Linkin Park (not to mention the solo shows) for my site, so if anyone has any, I'd be very grateful. I'm at webmaster@chriscornell.org.uk
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • Alessiana wrote:
    For recording, he uses a special mic. He is NOT screaming on their recordings. They may be running his voice through a processor when they play live, I don't know.

really? where do you get this info from? i'm not an expert but i couldn't tell that any effects were being used on his voice. perhaps they use some trickery in the studio but i think it was natural the other night....could be wrong.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    really? where do you get this info from? i'm not an expert but i couldn't tell that any effects were being used on his voice. perhaps they use some trickery in the studio but i think it was natural the other night....could be wrong.

There's a "making of" documentary on high def music TV. He demonstrates it. It's important for young singers to know they don't have to trash their voice.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Alessiana wrote:
    There's a "making of" documentary on high def music TV. He demonstrates it. It's important for young singers to know they don't have to trash their voice.

Oh ok I see...he broke his wrist on the Monday night gig (day after I saw them) and continued playing so that was good of him. Instead of his 18 second scream during "Giving up" he did two shorter screams cause he was in such pain lol.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?