When the venue is just too big

A Surprise LeftA Surprise Left Posts: 743
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Carrying over from my "best live band" thread regarding u2 last night gave me a thought. i was lucky and had seats that were pretty damn close but my housemate and his gf went and were in the nosebleed section and said it was shit basically. it difficult for a band like u2 because of the demand but the venue they played (telstra dome in melbourne which seats 50,000 for football games) was just too big. the speakers they use are massive and it means a fantastic show for those that are lucky to be close, but for everyone else its not good value for money. they left after 6 songs.....:eek:
The wind is blowing cold
Have we lost our way tonight?
Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
Running further from what’s right
And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
Where did we go wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I understand....I'm no fan of huge venues, either, but unfortunately bands likes of a U2 will play them in Europe and Oz because they can accomodate the crowds...otherwise they'd have to place twice as many shows!

In the states the U2 shows were arena only which, depending on it's size, could still get you lost in the atmosphere. The sound is off and you spend the whole of the show watching overheads. Personally, I refuse to go to any show like U2's or Pearl Jam's unless I'm in GA or quality seats (and by quality I mean nothing above a good lower!). Do I pay for my pleasure....yes. But 3 Pearl Jam and 5 U2 shows later I'm a happy girl. I actually got to see the bands that I came to see!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • If I can't get tickets other than nosebleeds, I just won't go. I wouldn't be able to see the band and wouldn't be able to fully particpate in the concert. Might as well stay at home and just throw in a cd.
  • i woulda done the same - probably wouldnt have bought tix...

pearl jam and the rolling stones are probably the only two bands that would play a stadium/arena and get me to go in.

it's not worth paying $100+ to use binoculars.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i had nosebleed seats for pearl jam in brisvegas. 3rd row from the wall at the back of the venue(not on the sides). and as rocking as i was at that distance, i know i would have been out of tree if i were was of those lucky suckers who could actually read the label on ed's wine or the stickers on jeff's bass. feeding off the other people around you and sucking in their energy really pumps you up along with the band.

three nights earlier i was at the U2 concert at QEII stadium and was inside the 'D' barrier. if i'd have been so inclined i could have reached out and kissed bono. the show was just that, a show. and in all honesty i didn't care who was behind me. it all comes down to me and how i'm feeling and what i'm drawing from those around me.

having said all that, i get incredibly spoilt seeing live bands cause i see them in clubs with less than 600 people and the front bars of pubs with less than 300 punters. it pains me to have to see a band in a venue that holds more than 2000 people. but then again i saw the kings of leon at the enmore theatre(which holds about 2000) in january and they totally rocked (as they always do), then i saw them again last week in brisvegas with pj at a 10000 seat arena and they still rocked that joint. so i don't know. i think it comes down to your desire to see the band and their ability to rock.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say