The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I've gone through a dry spell over the past few years (since Avocado), trying to find an album that really hits the spot and I think I found it.

This album is amazing! I'm on my third listen today.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I've gone through a dry spell over the past few years (since Avocado), trying to find an album that really hits the spot and I think I found it.

great album...I agree :)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    try some mudcrutch.
  • triangleman12triangleman12 Posts: 193
    Two words . . . Sea Legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Two words . . . Sea Legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!
    one of my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Sea Legs is incredible. Sleeping Lessons really grew on me as well, and it is especially good live. The Shins are 3 for 3 in my book. One of the best bands out there.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    My favourite cd from last year. And I agree that The Shins are 3/3 and one of the best bands around. If only they'd tour Canada.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

Ok.. I think I'm on my 30th listen now. :D

And yes, Sea Legs is probably my favorite.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I have just gotten into The Shins lately but I think their other albums are much better. Phantom Limb is definitely one of their best tunes though.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    I have just gotten into The Shins lately but I think their other albums are much better. Phantom Limb is definitely one of their best tunes though.
    I'll have to give those a whirl.. I'm too addicted to this one though.

I seriously think I have a new second favorite band now..
  • I LOVE this album. Such an amazing piece of work...straight through.

Sleeping Lessons and Australia are my favorites.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I love The Shins so much. Probably my favorite song on Wincing is Turn on Me.
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    OOOOHHH YEEEAHHH I love it!!!!!!!! I love Australia, Phantom Limb, Turn on Me, Red Rabbits, and Sea legs! I got their shirt too! its a cool shirt man!
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    It reminds me a lot of their first, some absolutely fantastic pop songs, but some definite misses mixed in. "Chutes Too Narrow", on the other hand, is probably the most consistent album of the decade IMO, every track is as good as the one before it, I can't think of many albums EVER that are as consistent as Chutes is.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    It reminds me a lot of their first, some absolutely fantastic pop songs, but some definite misses mixed in. "Chutes Too Narrow", on the other hand, is probably the most consistent album of the decade IMO, every track is as good as the one before it, I can't think of many albums EVER that are as consistent as Chutes is.

I'll agree with this. Wincing has some phenomenal songs but Chutes is a masterpiece start to finish. Fighting in a Sack is perfection, at least to me. :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • yieldtomeyieldtome Posts: 67
    I'll agree with this. Wincing has some phenomenal songs but Chutes is a masterpiece start to finish. Fighting in a Sack is perfection, at least to me. :)

Fighting in a Sack is pure brilliance in less than 2 and a half minutes. Masterful songwriting, hell that whole album is a musical kick in the ass of the best kind.
    I LOVE this album. Such an amazing piece of work...straight through.

Sleeping Lessons and Australia are my favorites.
    There isn't one song that I skip on this album.. I've been listening to it begining to end every day for the past few weeks.. Australia has been getting stuck in my head and popping up at random times, especially the first few lines, "born to multiply, born to gaze into night skies.."
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    There isn't one song that I skip on this album.. I've been listening to it begining to end every day for the past few weeks.. Australia has been getting stuck in my head and popping up at random times, especially the first few lines, "born to multiply, born to gaze into night skies.."

Wincing the Night Away (and Australia, in particular) did that to me for pretty much all of 2007. I still think it's a great album, but it doesn't get as many spins as it used to. I'll have to roll up a joint, throw on the headphones and crack it out one night soon.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
    gleemonex wrote:
    Wincing the Night Away (and Australia, in particular) did that to me for pretty much all of 2007. I still think it's a great album, but it doesn't get as many spins as it used to. I'll have to roll up a joint, throw on the headphones and crack it out one night soon.
    It's hard to think an album like this doesn't become huge.. For instance, I love U2 and all, but this album is easily as good, if not better than anything they have ever done.. I hear Phantom Limb every now and again on a local station that plays obscure music, (that's how I learned of this album).. but this album is better than most out there.. sucks It had to be a station that plays obscure music for me to discover it..
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    gleemonex wrote:

So, I took gleemonex's advice, plus a glass of wine. Gotta say that "Phantom Limb" has to be one of the most perfectly constructed pop melodies of all time. Alright, maybe not of all time, but damn near close. ;)
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"