Shine a Light

kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
edited April 2008 in Other Music
ok, so i know this is a movie, but it is other music and great music too. just saw it tonite..... more like a concert- excellent, excellent movie in my opinion. stones fans will love it especially.
lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
~it is shining it is shining~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm looking forward to seeing this....:D
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    a great live show!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    kdpjam wrote:
    ok, so i know this is a movie, but it is other music and great music too. just saw it tonite..... more like a concert- excellent, excellent movie in my opinion. stones fans will love it especially.
    I'll take your word for it ;) can't freaking wait to see this.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Just watched this last night, Keith Richards is such a legend.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Martin Scorsese + The Rolling Stones = Magic
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I'll repost my review from another thread.

I attended a prescreening of "Shine a Light" which is the Rolling STones film taken mostly from their 2 night stay at the Beacon Theater. I recieved an invite to the showing at the Navy Pier IMAX. I had a nice time, and managed to see Johnny Depp.

I thought it was nice, but was not blown away. Everyone in the theater (full) got in for free, and basically sat on their hands the entire time; I witnessed a few people sleeping! (True).

The mix was nice, the songs were nice for a true fan (such as me, I loved the song selection!) , but will ultimately turn away a "non die hard type of fan". The first five minutes of the film with Martin trying to get a setlist were hysterical! Martin did a great job of capturing subtle moments from both Keith and Charlie. Two specific points were after one song, they show a close up of each band member full of excitement, and when the close up comes to Charlie, he simply "sighs"….got a good laugh out of the theater. The other was the great camera work of Keith spitting a lit cigarette out in the middle of the Buddy Guy tune through a cloud of smoke, visually pretty cool.

About 92.8 percent of the time the camera is on Mick and the close ups can be a bit dizzying to follow as the camera moves around fast to keep up with Mick.

Highlights:

Some Girls

Champaign and Reefer (my favorite of the night ironically)

She Was Hot

As Tears Go By

Far Away Eyes

All Down The Line (Mick messed up the opening lyric though)

Lowlights:

Satisfaction (I just hate the way Keith plays it now)

Just My Imagination (just didn't work, Micks guitar goes out mid song….did nothing for me)

Start Me Up (looked like the band got stuck on auto pilot)

Overall, I had a great time, and will go see the movie again with my wife, but I really can't say this is for a "non shidoobee-like" person. One other note, Lisa and Bernard were featured prominently and I don't even recall seeing Blondie other than the band intros (which were severely shortened). The little bit I did see led me to conclude that High Definition and IMAX are no friends of Blondie Chaplin.

The Stones certainly proved they still "have it" and I recommend all music fans giving it a chance.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.