lemonheads are back... ;)

kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
edited September 2006 in Other Music
For the few Lemonheads fans on here:

Lemonheads leader Evan Dando has recast the band and inked a deal with Vagrant Records to release a new album in late September.

The group are now rounded out by Descendents drummer Bill Stevenson and bassist Karl Alvarez. The trio have been working on the first Lemonheads album since 1996's Car Button Cloth in Stevenson's Colorado home studio.

The Lemonheads debuted in 1987 with the release of Hate Your Friends, and achieved their greatest success with 1992's It's A Shame About Ray and 1993's Come On Feel The Lemonheads albums before their sales dropped dramatically for Car Button Cloth. After falling off the music map due to substance abuse troubles, Dando released a live album in 2001 and his first solo studio effort, Baby I'm Bored, in 2003.

Stevenson was one of the founding members of the Descendents in 1979. The punk-pop band split up and reformed a couple of times, and Alvarez (who also played with Stevenson in All) joined the group when they got back together in 1996. The Descendents released a number of records on SST in the '80s, put out Everything Sucks through Epitaph in 1996, and 2004's Cool To Be You was issued through Fat Wreck.

The Lemonheads have been playing occasional shows in the past year, but are expected to tour extensively in support of the still untitled new album.
lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
~it is shining it is shining~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    well, at least i'm excited. you go, dando!!!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    that is a pretty solid lineup. I hope it works out and people will then go backwards and pick up Car Button Cloth to see what they have been missing out on all these years.
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    dando is brillaint. i dont see why he is bringing back "the lemonheads" though.... baby im bored is one of my favorite albums ever
    darkcrow wrote:
    dando is brillaint. i dont see why he is bringing back "the lemonheads" though.... baby im bored is one of my favorite albums ever

i love baby i'm bored. and i also love the lemonheads. can't wait to hear.
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    kdpjam wrote:
    i love baby i'm bored. and i also love the lemonheads. can't wait to hear.

i cant wait to hear it either but this is clearly just a solo effort under the banner of the lemonheads... maybe he thinks he will get more expose with that rather than he did with Baby im bored..... the grass is all wine coloured... wine coloured grass ;)
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    They are back since a while ago. I saw them here in 2004 and ehh ... it was ok. Kinda boring, but ok overall.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    just a follow up from a press release today..

Reformed group's first new album in 10 years

Features guest musicians Garth Hudson, J. Mascis

THE LEMONHEADS just announced a September 26th, 2006 release date for the group's first new album in almost 10 years. The self-titled disc will be released on Vagrant Records and was co-produced by Evan Dando and drummer Bill Stevenson (Descendents, Black Flag) and was recorded at Stevenson's Blasting Room studios in Ft. Collins, CO earlier this year. Joining the two was bass player Karl Alvarez (Descendents) along with special guests Garth Hudson and J Mascis on select tracks.

The Lemonheads are planning a U.S. tour for the fall, but fans in the U.K. will get to see the band this month at the Lattitude Festival in Suffolk on July 14th and on July 16th at Somerset House in London. The current touring band includes Dando with Josh Lattanzi (bass) and John Kent (drums).

The Lemonheads track listing:
    Black Gown
    Become The Enemy
    Pittsburgh
    Let's Just Laugh
    Poughkeepsie
    Rule of Three
    No Backbone
    Baby's Home
    In Passing
    Steve's Boy
    December

One of the most beloved bands of to emerge from the Boston post-punk scene of the late 80's, The Lemonheads released three albums on Taang! before signing to Atlantic Records. They released their breakthrough album, It's A Shame About Ray in 1992 and it went on to sell over a million copies worldwide. "Into Your Arms," a track from their 1993 disc, Come On Feel The Lemonheads was their first single to hit the Billboard charts. After the release of Car Button Cloth in 1996 the band toured extensively - playing festivals worldwide, from Europe and the UK to South America. Dando took a break from the Lemonheads in the late 90's to concentrate on his solo recording. He released Baby I'm Bored, in 2003.

DISCOGRAPHY
    Laughing All The Way To The Cleaners EP - 1986 (Amory Arms)
    Hate Your Friends - 1987 (Taang!)
    Creator - 1988 (Taang!)
    Lick - 1989 (Taang!)
    Lovey - 1990 (Atlantic)
    It's a Shame About Ray - 1992 (Atlantic)
    Come on Feel the Lemonheads - 1993 (Atlantic)
    Car Button Cloth - 1996 (Atlantic)
    The Best of the Lemonheads: The Atlantic Years 1998
    Live At Brattle Theatre (solo) 2001 (Modular Records)
    Baby I'm Bored (solo) 2003 (Breath of Salt Water Records)
    The Lemonheads 2006 (Vagrant)

http://www.evandando.co.uk
    http://www.vagrant.com
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Don't know much about them, except I remember seeing the lead singer on a boat paddling and singing about Mrs.Robinson.

Thought he fell in or something
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    spat wrote:
    just a follow up from a press release today..

Reformed group's first new album in 10 years

Features guest musicians Garth Hudson, J. Mascis

THE LEMONHEADS just announced a September 26th, 2006 release date for the group's first new album in almost 10 years. The self-titled disc will be released on Vagrant Records and was co-produced by Evan Dando and drummer Bill Stevenson (Descendents, Black Flag) and was recorded at Stevenson's Blasting Room studios in Ft. Collins, CO earlier this year. Joining the two was bass player Karl Alvarez (Descendents) along with special guests Garth Hudson and J Mascis on select tracks.

The Lemonheads are planning a U.S. tour for the fall, but fans in the U.K. will get to see the band this month at the Lattitude Festival in Suffolk on July 14th and on July 16th at Somerset House in London. The current touring band includes Dando with Josh Lattanzi (bass) and John Kent (drums).

The Lemonheads track listing:
    Black Gown
    Become The Enemy
    Pittsburgh
    Let's Just Laugh
    Poughkeepsie
    Rule of Three
    No Backbone
    Baby's Home
    In Passing
    Steve's Boy
    December

One of the most beloved bands of to emerge from the Boston post-punk scene of the late 80's, The Lemonheads released three albums on Taang! before signing to Atlantic Records. They released their breakthrough album, It's A Shame About Ray in 1992 and it went on to sell over a million copies worldwide. "Into Your Arms," a track from their 1993 disc, Come On Feel The Lemonheads was their first single to hit the Billboard charts. After the release of Car Button Cloth in 1996 the band toured extensively - playing festivals worldwide, from Europe and the UK to South America. Dando took a break from the Lemonheads in the late 90's to concentrate on his solo recording. He released Baby I'm Bored, in 2003.

DISCOGRAPHY
    Laughing All The Way To The Cleaners EP - 1986 (Amory Arms)
    Hate Your Friends - 1987 (Taang!)
    Creator - 1988 (Taang!)
    Lick - 1989 (Taang!)
    Lovey - 1990 (Atlantic)
    It's a Shame About Ray - 1992 (Atlantic)
    Come on Feel the Lemonheads - 1993 (Atlantic)
    Car Button Cloth - 1996 (Atlantic)
    The Best of the Lemonheads: The Atlantic Years 1998
    Live At Brattle Theatre (solo) 2001 (Modular Records)
    Baby I'm Bored (solo) 2003 (Breath of Salt Water Records)
    The Lemonheads 2006 (Vagrant)

http://www.evandando.co.uk
    http://www.vagrant.com

this is... simply awesome. :) i want to hear the new one!!!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    spat wrote:

Features guest musicians J. Mascis

This makes me happy :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    spat wrote:
    Features guest musicians Garth Hudson,

and this makes me very happy. you want to add some honey to your music, not many better than garth.

DCGARDEN wrote:
    Don't know much about them, except I remember seeing the lead singer on a boat paddling and singing about Mrs.Robinson.

Thought he fell in or something

arguably the best cover ever.
    hello.my name is luca. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Has anyone heard Evans solo version of Metallica's Fade to Black? brilliant cover also ABBA's Knowing Me Knowing You.
    I'm really looking forward to this album, new Lemonheads YAY!:) with J Mascis on selected tracks double YAY!:):)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Have tickets to see them on the 16th :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    This news has made my week! This is fantastic. I've loved the Lemonheads since the first moment I heard them. I'm not as big into their very first albums, but the three Atlantic records -

It's a Shame About Ray
    Come on Feel the Lemonheads
    Car Button Cloth

- are some of my favorite albums. And J Mascis is in on this. Am I dreaming? I am marking my calender for the release. I would call it my most anticipated in the last three years with the exception of PJ of course. Please come to Texas Evan! I'll drive to flipping El Paso if I have to, just get here!
    Has anyone heard Evans solo version of Metallica's Fade to Black? brilliant cover also ABBA's Knowing Me Knowing You.
    I'm really looking forward to this album, new Lemonheads YAY!:) with J Mascis on selected tracks double YAY!:):)

Once again, I think there are more UK fans for Evan Dando than American. Maybe I'll fly there to see him! My sister in law lives in Glasgow.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    gabers wrote:
    Once again, I think there are more UK fans for Evan Dando than American. Maybe I'll fly there to see him! My sister in law lives in Glasgow.

I think he has a fantastic writing style and the way he delivers the songs kicks serious arse, and as I said the covers he pulls out are just brilliant, I have him covering Whitney Houston somewhere.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    I think he has a fantastic writing style and the way he delivers the songs kicks serious arse, and as I said the covers he pulls out are just brilliant, I have him covering Whitney Houston somewhere.:)

How Will I Know? :) I've heard that one.

Not one of my favorite covers but fun. Evan is fond of the covers. Never heard Fade to Black though. Luka and Mrs. Robinson are tops.
  • esther1977esther1977 Posts: 540
    Yes i would love to see them again , seen them once.
    So i keep my fingers crossed if they are coming to the netherlands
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Excellent news!
    Again, Evan is one of those completely underrated songwriters/musicians.
    Imo, he truly writes some of the best lyrics :)
    Keeping my fingers crossed he makes it out here to the west coast. :)

Saw Lemonheads play back around '93 when they opened for Hole - one of the most hysterical shows I've seen. Courtney was wasted and kept coming onstage to sing with him. After the first two times he was clearly irritated. :rolleyes: Great performers though - I think he sounds best in solo-acoustic format, but I'm excited to see Mascis along with him now.
  • I loved the Lemonheads when I was in high school. I think "It's a Shame About Ray" is a damn fine album. "Come on Feel..." had some good stuff too, mainly 'It's About Time'
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Very happy to hear this news. Hope I get to see a show or two.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    "i'm sick of selling solo t-shirts." classic :)
  • Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    Two of my former roommates are huge Lemonheads fans. In fact i spoke with one of them the other day on the phone and he was listening to a new Lemonheads album, I think he said it was new. Anyway, I never really got into them, but if they think they are good and you think they are good, they must be good.
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I saw them on Sunday :D was front row and can't stop grinning. Only played one new song.

Evan seemed really happy. Said they would be doing a lot of touring. Setlist was:

The Great Big No
    Confetti
    Down About It
    Hannah & Gabi
    Into Your Arms
    Hospital
    It's a Shame About Ray
    Big Gay Heart
    Tenderfoot
    Drug Buddy
    Style
    (Evan Solo set)
    Different Drum
    Skulls
    Why do you do this to yourself?
    Frank Mills
    The Outdoor Type
    Being Around
    New Song (No Backbone)
    Powderfinger
    If I could Talk I'd Tell you
    Rudderless
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Chime wrote:
    I saw them on Sunday :D was front row and can't stop grinning. Only played one new song.

Evan seemed really happy. Said they would be doing a lot of touring. Setlist was:

The Great Big No
    Confetti
    Down About It
    Hannah & Gabi
    Into Your Arms
    Hospital
    It's a Shame About Ray
    Big Gay Heart
    Tenderfoot
    Drug Buddy
    Style
    (Evan Solo set)
    Different Drum
    Skulls
    Frank Mills
    The Outdoor Type
    Being Around
    New Song (No Backbone)
    Powderfinger
    Rudderless

sounds awesome! that's great evan said they would be doing lots of touring... don't think the new one comes out til september ;)
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    Chime wrote:

The Great Big No
    Confetti
    Down About It
    Hannah & Gabi
    Into Your Arms
    Hospital
    It's a Shame About Ray
    Big Gay Heart
    Tenderfoot
    Drug Buddy
    Style
    (Evan Solo set)
    Different Drum
    Skulls
    Frank Mills
    The Outdoor Type
    Being Around
    New Song (No Backbone)
    Powderfinger
    Rudderless

awesome set!! was that powderfinger as in neil young's powderfinger??
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • If I knew that was going to be the set, I would be there in a heartbeat. Those are some awesome songs
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I'm really looking forward to this record. "It's a Shame About Ray" is a classic record.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    Anyone else remember reading an article about PJ and Eddie said the Lemonheads were at a bar playing and Ed was talking to Dando, who cursed and shouted at him.

Ed got the impression he thought he was better than anyone else.

Where was that from???

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ