the who w/the pretenders tonite!!!

kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
edited December 2006 in Other Music
it's finally finally my turn to see the who tonite! i cannot wait! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cranks quadrophenia..................>
lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
~it is shining it is shining~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    envious...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Enjoy....it should be a terrific show. A friend recently saw them in Boston and said both bands were stellar.

And that Chrissie looked mighty hot in her top hat and boots.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    thanx! i've waited a long long time. i would look for a recent set list but i am sure it will be stellar.....
  • i'm absolutely head over heels in love with chrissie. when people mention, what chicks rock, she is the first person that comes to my mind. i've been a fan for over 20 years and she's still delivering the goods. she is so f'n cool.

btw-no sense in cranking quadrophenia to get primed for the show...crank the new who cd...might i suggest fragments, mike post theme... ;)
  • http://www.thewholive.de

all your setlists can be found there
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i saw them last monday. still haven't gotten over how great it was. i know you'll enjoy it. fo' sho'.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I attended the Dallas show on November 17, 2006. Fucking phenominal show! Probably the best live show I've seen. Pete was on fire guitar wise, and roger's voice was amazing. I can't wait to relive this show through the dvd. I am so glad I finally got to see the who, even if it's with a few new touring members. I cant' wait to hear about your who review. The picked a great setlist to showcase this tour. An oustanding show! :D The Dallas crowd was so into the show, which just added to the greatness of that night. My friend nabbed me a poster print from the radio station that were left over and it totally made my day a few days later. I tried to get one at the bar from on the walls but people already took them before I could get one :(, but at least I got one :)

PS: Are the pretenders playing a different set each night? or same set? I can't find their Dallas set, but remember them playing: Brass in pocket (I think), my city was burning, the Adultress, day after day (not sure, but riff sounded familiar)., 2000 miles, I'll stand by you, and Back on the chain gang. They were pretty good, I was just not familiar with alot of their material. That's what's great about shows, I heard some new songs to me, but classics to others pretenders wise that I liked.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I saw them in Hershey.. I wrote a review somewhere on here..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • I saw them in St. Paul last Friday night. Would've been a great show but Roger had bronchitis and his voice was horrendous. Can't really hold it against him but so much of The Who's power is in Roger's voice and when he can't hit some big notes the song can't be taken to the next level.

Hopefully he's feeling better for you tonight though!

PS...the Pretenders were great! Never really listened to them all that much but they were a lot of fun and their lead guitarist is fantastic!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I saw them in St. Paul last Friday night. Would've been a great show but Roger had bronchitis and his voice was horrendous. Can't really hold it against him but so much of The Who's power is in Roger's voice and when he can't hit some big notes the song can't be taken to the next level.

Hopefully he's feeling better for you tonight though!

PS...the Pretenders were great! Never really listened to them all that much but they were a lot of fun and their lead guitarist is fantastic!

i really like the pretenders. She is a badass and was pretty hot back in the day. in fact, she still is.

Last of the independant is a great record.

i didnt make it to the show, but the paper review said roger mentioned he'd make it back up to us? hope so, would definitely go next time.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    pretenders were good but not wonderful. think they had sound issues.

the who are amazing... roger has bronchitis but with each song his voice grew stronger and stronger last nite!

my personal favorites: the seeker, sparks, amazing journey, mike post theme, and man in a purple dress. i wish i could have heard something off quadrophenia, but no go.

very emotional and powerful show. i have to see them again...
  • kdpjam wrote:
    it's finally finally my turn to see the who tonite! i cannot wait! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cranks quadrophenia..................>

Did you have to take out a second mortgage, what'd you pay for the tickets? :)
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • I went to this show:
    http://tinyurl.com/y9f5z8

The best audio/visual gear I have seen at any concert.
    "Northwest meets Southeast. I hope you've enjoyed the altercation". -Atlanta, 09/01/98
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    red0dot wrote:
    I went to this show:
    http://tinyurl.com/y9f5z8

The best audio/visual gear I have seen at any concert.
    Ditto on this! The audio and visuals were incredible! The visuals really added to the show and I really enjoyed the sound as well. The pretenders were good, but turned down too low. Although my friend that went with me has seen the who 4 times and the other has seen them 7 times. They said even though the sound was great, the who don't crank it like they used to! I keep hearing that Pete's hearing is really bad, but if it's THAT bad (and from what people say maybe almost deaf- that's what I have been told by like 10 people) how could he still shred on guitar like that? Wouldn't you have to be able to hear the notes? I'm just asking to clarify on his hearing loss is all? Anyway, Pete tore it up on guitar in Dallas and He was having a blast and seemed to play each song perfectly. Great show!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • i didnt make it to the show, but the paper review said roger mentioned he'd make it back up to us? hope so, would definitely go next time.
    so what does that mean...they'll come back again and charge 200 bucks a ticket? I'll hang onto my ticket stub just in case and hold extremely low expectations that it will mean a discount in the future...
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Oh Kat, so glad you finally got to see them.

For those complaining about ticket prices, if you don't want to pay it, don't pay it. But stop complaining.

I saw the Who twice so far on this tour, paid $110 each time and it was worth every fucking penny.

And if they come back in the spring, which I hope, I'll pay it again.

And I'm not someone who is made of money, I just know that the Who are worth it.
  • so what does that mean...they'll come back again and charge 200 bucks a ticket? I'll hang onto my ticket stub just in case and hold extremely low expectations that it will mean a discount in the future...

wow, didnt think you were such a bitter old man.

rock n roll
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    my review of the Boston 12/2/06 show is below.

BTW, Pretenders rocked.. they didn't play the "Adultress" but Martin Chambers went nuts the drum kit during "Up the neck" and "Precious"..

I ordered the boot and he DVD from my show too. How cool is that?
    Wish PJ could figure out how to do DVD's..

"I must admit The Who broke ever pre-conceived notion I had about how two rock legends would come to deliver in concert.

Emerging on a sparsely set stage, mid twirling white lights, Roger, Pete and company went right for the audience's jugular with searing versions of "Can't Explain" "The Seeker" and a breathless "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere".

It seemed it was 1976 all over again with Daltrey *(looking very fit in a black t-shirt and jeans) twirling and spinning his microphone cord up, down and sideways like a wild west rodeo. Townsend's sixty plus years were virtually absent amid his swooping windmills and two-footed aerial stomps.

With re-worked versions of "Who are You" and "Eminence Front" the band stripped any aspect of pop sound out of these songs kept the raw power-cord theme of the Townsend's searing guitar the focus.

The rare gem of "Cry If You Want" from "Its Hard" is an obvious response to nay-sayers who accuse the band of playing only a "hit parade" of songs. It's performance was particularly mesmerizing with Townsend's chiming guitar thrusts and the dual vocal layering with Daltrey.

It was obvious to everyone in attendance that the influx of new songs has breathed renewed life and enthusiasm into these rock veterans.

Songs like "Fragments, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, and Mike Post Theme" seemed to invigorate Daltrey and Townsend's passion for the performance. There was noting but grins and wide smiles from the two, interacting with diehard fans and each other alike.

The crowd was treated to another rare departure from the standard setlist with the inclusion of "Black Widow's Eyes" which Daltrey dubbed his "favorite" new song. He underscored his appreciation for Townsend's song writing talents with his unsolicited comment from the stage that it was "an honor to be in service of a musical genius". This genuinely caught Townsend by surprise but it would not be the last emotional moment of the night.

The backing band, and particularly Zak Starksy formed a cohesive rhythm section, with Zak a virtual dead-on for Moon's disjointed and thunderous drum style. This proved a crucial support for many of the standards such as BABA and WGFA but seemed to gel even more with the "Tommy" encore numbers.

Townsends dramatic opening guitar chords of "Pinball wizard' amid white strobe lights initiated on onslaught of 60's type jamming with "Amazing Journey" and "Sparks" in particular.

In a very unscripted moment, Townsend reached out to embrace Daltrey in a momentary hug at the end of the show which seemed to block out the entire crowd at the Boston Garden, if only for a moment.

As these two rock and roll survivors strolled off the stage, they gracefully acknowledged the onslaught of cheers from the grateful Boston crowd. It was if the new material allowed Daltrey and Townsend to be at last comfortable with their own place in rock's rich history, for the first time in a long journey, they were not playing for yesterday's glory."
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    kdpjam wrote:
    pretenders were good but not wonderful. think they had sound issues.

the who are amazing... roger has bronchitis but with each song his voice grew stronger and stronger last nite!

my personal favorites: the seeker, sparks, amazing journey, mike post theme, and man in a purple dress. i wish i could have heard something off quadrophenia, but no go.

very emotional and powerful show. i have to see them again...

sounds like it was a lot of fun! Glad you had a great time i'm jealous :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    locked wrote:
    my review of the Boston 12/2/06 show is below.

BTW, Pretenders rocked.. they didn't play the "Adultress" but Martin Chambers went nuts the drum kit during "Up the neck" and "Precious"..

I ordered the boot and he DVD from my show too. How cool is that?
    Wish PJ could figure out how to do DVD's..

"I must admit The Who broke ever pre-conceived notion I had about how two rock legends would come to deliver in concert.

Emerging on a sparsely set stage, mid twirling white lights, Roger, Pete and company went right for the audience's jugular with searing versions of "Can't Explain" "The Seeker" and a breathless "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere".

It seemed it was 1976 all over again with Daltrey *(looking very fit in a black t-shirt and jeans) twirling and spinning his microphone cord up, down and sideways like a wild west rodeo. Townsend's sixty plus years were virtually absent amid his swooping windmills and two-footed aerial stomps.

With re-worked versions of "Who are You" and "Eminence Front" the band stripped any aspect of pop sound out of these songs kept the raw power-cord theme of the Townsend's searing guitar the focus.

The rare gem of "Cry If You Want" from "Its Hard" is an obvious response to nay-sayers who accuse the band of playing only a "hit parade" of songs. It's performance was particularly mesmerizing with Townsend's chiming guitar thrusts and the dual vocal layering with Daltrey.

It was obvious to everyone in attendance that the influx of new songs has breathed renewed life and enthusiasm into these rock veterans.

Songs like "Fragments, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, and Mike Post Theme" seemed to invigorate Daltrey and Townsend's passion for the performance. There was noting but grins and wide smiles from the two, interacting with diehard fans and each other alike.

The crowd was treated to another rare departure from the standard setlist with the inclusion of "Black Widow's Eyes" which Daltrey dubbed his "favorite" new song. He underscored his appreciation for Townsend's song writing talents with his unsolicited comment from the stage that it was "an honor to be in service of a musical genius". This genuinely caught Townsend by surprise but it would not be the last emotional moment of the night.

The backing band, and particularly Zak Starksy formed a cohesive rhythm section, with Zak a virtual dead-on for Moon's disjointed and thunderous drum style. This proved a crucial support for many of the standards such as BABA and WGFA but seemed to gel even more with the "Tommy" encore numbers.

Townsends dramatic opening guitar chords of "Pinball wizard' amid white strobe lights initiated on onslaught of 60's type jamming with "Amazing Journey" and "Sparks" in particular.

In a very unscripted moment, Townsend reached out to embrace Daltrey in a momentary hug at the end of the show which seemed to block out the entire crowd at the Boston Garden, if only for a moment.

As these two rock and roll survivors strolled off the stage, they gracefully acknowledged the onslaught of cheers from the grateful Boston crowd. It was if the new material allowed Daltrey and Townsend to be at last comfortable with their own place in rock's rich history, for the first time in a long journey, they were not playing for yesterday's glory."

Very, very, VERY nice review. Very well stated. I was THRILLED when they went into Cry if You Want. At first I was like, what is this and then it hit me, YEAH, YEAH.

I LOVE this band and for anyone who thinks they're too old to rock and roll, you missing out on something very special.

The special moment for me at the last Philly show was after Baba, the crowd was just going ballistic and Pete went up to the mic to say something, but the crowd wouldn't let up one bit, and he just stood there with this smile on his face looking out at everyone. Oh, it was wonderful.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Very, very, VERY nice review. Very well stated. I was THRILLED when they went into Cry if You Want. At first I was like, what is this and then it hit me, YEAH, YEAH.

I LOVE this band and for anyone who thinks they're too old to rock and roll, you missing out on something very special.

The special moment for me at the last Philly show was after Baba, the crowd was just going ballistic and Pete went up to the mic to say something, but the crowd wouldn't let up one bit, and he just stood there with this smile on his face looking out at everyone. Oh, it was wonderful.

very cool!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • i paid $70 including charges for my ticket(list price), sure i wasnt up close, but after chrissie played forever young i figured that was pretty much my break even point :)

i walked out of the show getting way more than a bargain... ;)

having said that...i wouldn't ever pay what those people did in the 1st 10 rows...no band is worth that kind of money!

pete townshend remains my hero, today, and i suppose i could also he was/is my personal savior...cause there will never ever be a album like quadrophenia.
    it meant EVERYTHING to me, and it still does today.

long live rock !!
  • Well I just got my tickets to see them in February, it will be my 6th time seeing them, and I have to say, I love it everytime!!!! They are simply the best band ever in my opinion! Well, besides Led Zep, Floyd, the Stones and of course PJ!!!!