i'm not there dylan tribute

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Has anyone checked out the dylan tribute album that came out this past tuesday called I'm not here?

It has tracks done by jeff tweedy (wilco), Eddie Vedder (pj duh), Stephen Malkumus (pavement), Sonic Youth, Cat Power, and others.

I have not been able to find it in a store near me yet but i really want to hear it !
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yes, I have it. It's great. I love Karen O on Highway 61 Revisited.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'm going to search this one out today. Love Cat Powers version of Stuck Inside of Mobile that's up on the myspace page.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • I've got it too and I really like it. I'm a little disappointed though that Ed covered All Along The Watchtower. It's a good version and all that. The problem is that song has been done so many times over the years and Dylan has such a huge catalog to choose from, I would have liked Ed to have dug a little deeper. A song like "License To Kill" would have been right up his alley.
  • I've got it too and I really like it. I'm a little disappointed though that Ed covered All Along The Watchtower. It's a good version and all that. The problem is that song has been done so many times over the years and Dylan has such a huge catalog to choose from, I would have liked Ed to have dug a little deeper. A song like "License To Kill" would have been right up his alley.
    Watchtower is THE rock standard.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • i only downloaded Ed's song (tight on cash at the moment)....but I was kinda surprised nobody tried out Tangled up in Blue.
    "It's all happening"
  • Watchtower is THE rock standard.
    Yep, which is why I don't understand why he chose it. There was no way he could have created a better version than Hendrix. Hendrix came along and created the definitive version of that song. I just wish Ed would have picked a different one and done the same.
  • Ed could do a great version of "She Just Acts Like We Never Have Met"..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I think the soundtrack is fantastic. So many great tunes. Although I do agree that Watchtower is way too common of a cover, and of course, Hendrix did it best.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I just d/l ed's version of watchtower. I think the same thing... It's too common and ofocurse ed was going to do it great but anything else would have been a little less obvious.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Zoso wrote:
    I just d/l ed's version of watchtower. I think the same thing... It's too common and ofocurse ed was going to do it great but anything else would have been a little less obvious.

Agree with you!
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I love the cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Antony and the Johnsons.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    just listened to Watchtower. very good.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I've got this one ordered from Amazon, I'm really surprised at how terrible the retail release for this album was. It's got a lot of A-list indie rock acts and none of the national retail chains around me carry it. I don't know what company is putting it out, but this should have been a bigger release....

Anyway, can't wait to hear it sometime next week, the artist list looks great.
  • Wouldn't Masters Of War have been the obvious choice?
    The Black Crowes doing Rainy Day Women would have kicked ass! I love their version of that song.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I saw some cinema lights down the road from my work this evening. Looks like they're having the Portland premiere tonight. Everyone was dressed all swanky for it. I think it may have been a benefit showing. When does the movie get a national release?
    NERDS!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I wanted to buy the actual cd for this and i could not find it anywhere so i ended up picking it up on itunes.

The threesome to close out disc one of Jeff Tweedy, Mark Lanagan, & Willie Nelson is just awesome!

Loving the Million Dollar Bashers. Nels Cline must be like the Greek God of Guitar or something.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i was pleasantly suprised when i walked into work today to the sounds of mason jennings...and then jack johnson....and then ed...and karen o (love her)...and cat power...etc. etc. etc.

point...i am loving this cd!! and quite suprised to see it on the playlist at urban outfitters...i love my job :D
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Finally got my hands on the album today, really good so far. The Cat Power song is my favorite so far.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/im-not-there-concert-we-werent-there/

there was a show in nyc either last night or the night before. the link above has the set-list (no ed) but has streams of the roots doing masters of war and jim james from mmj with calexico doing goin' to acapulco.

** edit ** just noticed one of the comment people posted a link to mmj doing tonight i'll be staying here with you.
  • i went out searching for this album on the release date (october 30th), but i couldn't find it. so i ordered it from sonymusicstore.com that night and it was in my mailbox on friday. if anyone is still looking for the album:

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/c/Unknown/LT_talent=34854/Im-Not-There-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture/CD/LT_sku=129599

i've been listening to it nonstop for the past week. it's a really good album. the highlights for me come in the form of three consecutive tracks on both discs:

disc 1:

simple twist of fate - jeff tweedy
    man in the long black coat - mark lanegan
    senor (tales of yankee power) - willie nelson and calexico

disc 2:

when the ship comes in - marcus carl franklin
    moonshiner - bob forrest
    i dreamed i saw st. augustine - john doe

both of john doe's tracks are really good actually, and he had doyle bramhall II on guitar. that's never a bad thing.

i have to say that i don't usually listen to most of the artists on this album (aside from eddie vedder, mark lanegan, and occasionally sonic youth). but i have a new found respect for many of them after hearing their dylan covers.

granted, there are several tracks that i'm not too crazy about. but overall, there are many more hits than misses.
    This is a great collection. Some of my favorites would be Cat Power's arrangement of Stuck Inside of Mobile..., Karen O. on Highway 61, Black Keys on Wicked Messenger, Stephen Malkmus on Ballad of a Thin Man, and Bob Forrest on Moonshiner.

There's only really a few tracks that I would skip over consistently - Ring Them Bells and Cold Irons Bound come to mind.

Knockin' on Heavens Door is an interesting cover, I've heard a few other tracks with Antony & The Johnsons, and I just can't get into his voice. It's almost too pure, or too much vibrato.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

i have to say that i don't usually listen to most of the artists on this album (aside from eddie vedder, mark lanegan, and occasionally sonic youth). but i have a new found respect for many of them after hearing their dylan covers.

I listen to Calexico quite a bit, seeing them on so many of the tracks made it an easy buy for me.

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    really just further proof Mark Lanegan has the best voice in music, such a great set though, I bought it for my dad today to send down from christmas
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • merkinball wrote:
    I listen to Calexico quite a bit, seeing them on so many of the tracks made it an easy buy for me.

well it looks like i'm gonna have to check them out. i was very impressed. any advice on where i should start?

personally, i bought the album just because i'm a big dylan fan. but it certainly didn't hurt that eddie vedder and mark lanegan were involved. :)
  • merkinball wrote:
    There's only really a few tracks that I would skip over consistently - Ring Them Bells and Cold Irons Bound come to mind.

ring them bells is probably my least favorite. i feel like it lost a lot of the intensity of the original version.

i'm not sure how i feel about cold irons bound. for me, the concept was better than the execution. a slow, minimalist version of that song could have been really cool. but it just kinda dragged on...
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    really just further proof Mark Lanegan has the best voice in music

definitely. it was the perfect song for him to cover... and he nailed it.
    well it looks like i'm gonna have to check them out. i was very impressed. any advice on where i should start?

personally, i bought the album just because i'm a big dylan fan. but it certainly didn't hurt that eddie vedder and mark lanegan were involved. :)

I started with the Calexico/Iron & Wine EP 'In The Reins', which is a good primer. Feast of Wire probably gets the most listens these days. They've got a unique, southwestern sound. I'm a big dylan fan too, I normally would shy away from cover albums though, as they tend to be spotty. Hardly a bad track here though.

ring them bells is probably my least favorite. i feel like it lost a lot of the intensity of the original version.

Exactly. The strength of this track is in Dylans delivery over the piano, reminds me a lot of the passion in the 'christian' albums like Slow Trains Coming. Sufjan Stevens version dilutes that in favor of making the music more complex.