High on Fire- Death is Communion

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
edited October 2007 in Other Music
So i'm a big High on Fire fan and it seems after a couple weeks of listening to their new album Death is Communion that Pike can do no wrong.

I love all their albums and this one is not an exception.

The riffs are massive and grinding. I love driving and working out to this album.

sometimes some of the outros i don't care for. The production of how they were placed seem like just overdubs and their is not an easy connection but that is the only fault i can really find of it.

It is a bit more of the same not breaking any new ground for these guys but damn they are good at what they do.

Anyone else a fan checked this out yet?
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oh yeah, this album fucking kills. AMAZING. nice depth to this one compared to their others, lots of light/shadow contrast. reminds me of metallica's "ride the lightning" in it's epicness. personally i like the weird outros, gives it a strange trippiness as it just shifts from brain crushing heaviness to these odd melodic things. cool. and arik ropers album art is just about the best ever. i need the gatefold record to put up on my wall.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    oh yeah, this album fucking kills. AMAZING. nice depth to this one compared to their others, lots of light/shadow contrast. reminds me of metallica's "ride the lightning" in it's epicness. personally i like the weird outros, gives it a strange trippiness as it just shifts from brain crushing heaviness to these odd melodic things. cool. and arik ropers album art is just about the best ever. i need the gatefold record to put up on my wall.

I like the outros I just wish they melded into the rest of the song better.

Ropers art is fuckin awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I have been waiting to see if eMusic puts this up. I am losing patience though. I have no doubt that the CD will kick ass.
  • Haven't checked this out yet, Blessed Black Wings was great. Still throw in some Sleep from time to time, Matt Pike is the man.
  • The whole album sounds so massive! I think it's amazing. I saw them play a free show at SoundWave studios down in Oakland not too long ago; the place was packed and they put on a damn good show. Honestly, I like the sound on Blessed Black Wings better but the songwriting on Death is This Communion sounds superior to me.