ISO Instrumental Rock Music

fotdfotd Posts: 514
edited August 2008 in Other Music
I'm in search of some instrumental rock music to listen to while I read. I already have 3 Explosions in the Sky albums. Any suggestions would be awesome, especially if I could download the artists albums from eMusic.
I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    find Russian Circles album Enter, it's really good

find any Tortoise record

find any Medeski, Martin & Wood
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    I would suggest Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Caspian
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Mogwai - Happy Music...
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    holy fuck "lp"...yes, that is their name.
    i'm really enjoying their album...good stuff :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    these may not be exactly what you're lookin for but

Isis - Panopticon (has a few vocals but they're low in the mix, great album)
    John Petrucci - Suspended Animation (if only for 'Jaws of Life')
  • Tuatara - The band was formed in 1996 by R.E.M.'s Peter Buck (guitar), Barrett Martin of the Screaming Trees (drums and percussion), Justin Harwood of Luna (bass guitar, double bass), and Skerik of Critters Buggin (saxophones).

Nowayimfaithful turned me on to that one.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I suggest checking out Godspeed You! Black Emporer.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    http://www.thesilentballet.com/tsbt/2007/50_41.html

The Silent Ballet's top 50 instrumental releases for '07

Some great stuff on here
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • i think red sparrow(think thats their name) might fall into this. i dont listen to them but i know a person that really likes their stuff.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i think red sparrow(think thats their name) might fall into this. i dont listen to them but i know a person that really likes their stuff.
    Red Sparowes (type intended)

I would also recommend Godspeed You! Black Emperor. My favourite band ever after PJ. I listen to them more. If you dig GY!BE, check out A Silver Mt Zion (same band but with vocals) and Yndi Halda
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Most of what has been mentioned that i know of has been very good.

I'll just reinterate

godspeed You! black emporer- the album with the title something like reach your skinny little hands etc etc

Sigur Ros- they have an album simply title ( ) and it is awesome, but actually all their albusm are great.

Mogwai- Happy Music..

One that has not been mentioned that i would think is very good is Dirty Three. It is a durmmer, guitarist, and violinist and the music is fucking awesome!

Also ever try some jazz? Maybe somether very accesable like Miles Davis. You can't go wrong with Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain by Davis.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Try "This Will Destroy You"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Sigur Ros ()
    Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People, both have been mentioned but both are fantastic.

Takk by Sigur Ros is great too, as is anything by Mogwai to be honest, slowly developing an obsession with this band!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    intodeep wrote:

godspeed You! black emporer- the album with the title something like reach your skinny little hands etc etc
    Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven

My favourite album of all time. Just magical.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

Wow it's that good? I might have to purchase it. I want to get into this band so that's where I'll start.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I've owned Yanqui U.X.O. for quite a few years, and while I think it's interesting I rarely feel the need to give the album a listen. I'm not familiar with much in the way of instrumental rock/post-rock, but I think I have a pretty open mind. Would you recommend giving Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven a try, or am I most likely a lost cause? Would you mind trying to describe the atmosphere of this album if possible?

I can get a copy on eMusic for next to nothing, but I'm still hesitant to buy something I may listen to only once every couple years (which seems to be the case with the album I already own).
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

to the original poster, get this since it is on eMusic and you will only use up 4 downloads. If you need something harder, get Isis. Something in between those? go for Mogwai. all on eMusic and all awesome.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    transplant wrote:
    to the original poster, get this since it is on eMusic and you will only use up 4 downloads. If you need something harder, get Isis. Something in between those? go for Mogwai. all on eMusic and all awesome.

another good "harder" instrumental band is Pelican.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    transplant wrote:

I've d/led that Godspeed... album and it was good. I also d/led Young Team by Mogwai which I thaught was a better album. Isis i will check out today. Are they like Pelican?
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    http://www.thesilentballet.com/tsbt/2007/50_41.html

The Silent Ballet's top 50 instrumental releases for '07

Some great stuff on here

Thank you for this. I had forgotten I had as many of these albums as i do.
    fotd wrote:
    I've d/led that Godspeed... album and it was good. I also d/led Young Team by Mogwai which I thaught was a better album. Isis i will check out today. Are they like Pelican?
    yes, Isis and Pelican run in the same circles, usually draw the same crowd. Isis have the occasional 'vocals' I use that loosely but if you like Pelican (which I fucking LOVE), Isis is directly up your alley.

If you ever go back to Mogwai, I find that Mr. Beast is the most user friendly, the one I recommend first anyway. Young Team though, is probably their best.
    fotd wrote:
    Thank you for this. I had forgotten I had as many of these albums as i do.
    Feel free to put the ones you have down. I haven't heard of 90% of these. At times, I feel this whole instrumental post-rock genre has been played out however I love to be proven wrong.
    Wow it's that good? I might have to purchase it. I want to get into this band so that's where I'll start.
    Do. Seriously. Some people don't get it but those that do generally find it to be an incredible album. I damn near cried the first time I heard it. I warn you though, it is long (80+ mins) and therefore more expensive since it's a double album.

It was the first one I heard and I'm glad because I love it like few other albums but many think the Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada EP is a better starting point because it is shorter (by GY!BE's standards. It's still about 30 mins long). The track Moya from Slow Riot is incredible. I am going to get the album cover tattooed soon too :D Yes, I am a Godspeed fanboy
    soclose wrote:
    I've owned Yanqui U.X.O. for quite a few years, and while I think it's interesting I rarely feel the need to give the album a listen. I'm not familiar with much in the way of instrumental rock/post-rock, but I think I have a pretty open mind. Would you recommend giving Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven a try, or am I most likely a lost cause? Would you mind trying to describe the atmosphere of this album if possible?

I can get a copy on eMusic for next to nothing, but I'm still hesitant to buy something I may listen to only once every couple years (which seems to be the case with the album I already own).
    I would totally recommend it. I think Yanqui is a fantastic album but it isn't even in the same universe as Skinny Fists. Of course, my gushing praise may cause it to be an anti-climax when you hear it but I can't see how that could happen. It is, in my opinion, a work of unparalleled and staggering beauty.
    fotd wrote:
    I'm in search of some instrumental rock music to listen to while I read. I already have 3 Explosions in the Sky albums. Any suggestions would be awesome, especially if I could download the artists albums from eMusic.

Posted this in another thread but you might like this song by Mogwai - 2 Rights Make One Wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8mC8zd_CbI
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    transplant wrote:
    Feel free to put the ones you have down. I haven't heard of 90% of these. At times, I feel this whole instrumental post-rock genre has been played out however I love to be proven wrong.

Compared to Punk, Pop, Top 40, blues and rap I think it's still a very exciting genre. The only household names in the scene are still not "household" and never will be.

While there are always going to be bands that people use as benchmarks, it is still, in my opinion, the only genre of rock where, for the most part, people are doing their thing knowing that there will never be a pot of gold in the future.

There is certainly some parity but the good ones will always stick out. Now you've just got more options
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    I fucking adore Mogwai and the song Tracy is amazing but if you are a fan of them, check out this version of the song by Kid Loco. I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSN5V72w7s
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

Same here, I just listened to it last night.

The first section of Storm is probaby my favorite piece of music ever.
  • M83 is better than bad.
    Mono's pretty rad.
    Saxon Shore could make you glad.
    This Will Destroy You sounds mad.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    WTF? No one said Joe Satriani. His album "The Extremist" is a classic instrumental rock album. It includes the hit, "Summer Song." His other albums are really good too. Also try the album "Surfing with the Alien."
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
    Listening to Zidane 21st century portrait up very loud. :8