Options

Ray LaMontagne

patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I've discovered this artist threw my roommate in the last few weeks. I'm becoming a fan very fast of Ray LaMontagne. Anybody else a fan or heard of him?

Enjoy :)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=10492098

''Empty'' is my favorite.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I've discovered this artist threw my roommate in the last few weeks. I'm becoming a fan very fast of Ray LaMontagne. Anybody else a fan or heard of him?

Enjoy :)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=10492098

''Empty'' is my favorite.

Ive heard him, dont mind his music but dont love it or anything.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    Ive heard him, dont mind his music but dont love it or anything.

Ok thank you. :D lol
  • Options
    i really love that "trouble" record. i bought both of them the same day and that's the one that i came back to again and again. not to say that TTSTB is a bad record, but it wasn't as immediate for me as trouble. i need to listen to it more. i might go listen to it now actually.

any idea on what he's up to now, recording or touring or anything?
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    love his stuff, very mellow and soulful. his cover of gnarls barkley's 'crazy' beats the original hands-down: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XjAxABua3RA

i've missed him the times he's been in town but hope to see him live sometime. as far as i know he's working on a new album :)
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    love his stuff, very mellow and soulful. his cover of gnarls barkley's 'crazy' beats the original hands-down: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XjAxABua3RA

i've missed him the times he's been in town but hope to see him live sometime. as far as i know he's working on a new album :)

Anything has to beat the original. Liked that song the first few listens, now it makes me cringe.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Anything has to beat the original. Liked that song the first few listens, now it makes me cringe.
    well sure, but just saying his version is good :)
  • Options

oh we were listening to this last weekend. thanks for posting. :)
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    that's crazy that i came upon this thread...considering that i just put in his cd after not listening to it in months :) i really enjoy his music...just can't listen to it too often...when the mood is right.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    iamsampj wrote:
    that's crazy that i came upon this thread...considering that i just put in his cd after not listening to it in months :) i really enjoy his music...just can't listen to it too often...when the mood is right.

Not bad driving music either. :)
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I like him :)

I've seen him live once in a 5000 seat theatre. He's quite a nervous performer. He and his musicians stand in a semi circle and he puts himself on one end nearly in the shadows rather than in the middle as you might expect. At the end of each song he would just say 'thank you' and then step away from the mic. to let the applause die down before stepping back to start the next song ... and any shouting out between songs seemed to spook him, he didn't respond at all. Think later on in the performance we got a couple of small anecdotes.

Very powerful voice and performance though. I was sat 2nd row right in front of him though so don't know if that would make a difference.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Amazing artist. I agree that "Trouble" is an easier listen, but the "Be Here Now" and "Within You" are true gems on the new album.
  • Options
    Amazing artist. I agree that "Trouble" is an easier listen, but the "Be Here Now" and "Within You" are true gems on the new album.

I'm loving his stuff. :D
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Chime wrote:
    I like him :)

I've seen him live once in a 5000 seat theatre. He's quite a nervous performer. He and his musicians stand in a semi circle and he puts himself on one end nearly in the shadows rather than in the middle as you might expect. At the end of each song he would just say 'thank you' and then step away from the mic. to let the applause die down before stepping back to start the next song ... and any shouting out between songs seemed to spook him, he didn't respond at all. Think later on in the performance we got a couple of small anecdotes.

Very powerful voice and performance though. I was sat 2nd row right in front of him though so don't know if that would make a difference.

Agree.He comes across as a very humble performer.He sings like his life depends on it,like he's got to get something out.Which makes his live performance all the more powerful.
    Beautiful voice.2 Great albums.
    I read in an interview that he and his family live very self sufficient lives and he is intensely private.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    He is class :D
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    Irish Al wrote:
    He is class :D

I hope to see him one day in concert. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I like the guy. Only heard the first album but I enjoyed it.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    He is one of those few artists that my wife and I love equally. "Trouble" and "Arms of a Woman" are gems. I don't have his newest album but I've been meaning to pick it up.
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    yeah, he's pretty good.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    He is FUCKING amazing! My girl and I were lucky enough to attend his one US show last year at a small music festival in a hippie town in Colorado... maybe 100 people there, walked up and sat 10 feet from the guy...
    That man can sing... I got the same feeling I get from Neil Young the second they sing the first not, goosebumps, watery eyes, it was just amazing!
  • Options
    also, I am looking for his show at Lyons Colorado's Folk Fest last year, if anyone knows where to find it, I'd be very greatful!!!!!
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    omg...I love him
    He is so awesome.
    Soul, baby. The man has soul.
    I love this clip with Damien Rice:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVqvbfilIs
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    thank you trixie, I have never seen that video!
    I have listened to this version at least 3,000,027 times though!
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    omg...I love him
    He is so awesome.
    Soul, baby. The man has soul.
    I love this clip with Damien Rice:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVqvbfilIs

sweet thank you :)
  • Options

Heard this tonight while out and about. Nice :D

They play alot of his music on the radio here in Denver. :)
  • Options
    Would love to hear Ed cover a song by Ray. :)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

Nice :D
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I've been listening to him for a few years - saw him in NYC a few years ago & his voice was amazing live!
    My lips are shaking.......