Rodger Waters review from last nite.

patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
edited July 2007 in Other Music
By far one of the best shows I have ever seen in my short life. Bummed at work knowing my best bud wasn't going to the show sucked. But I worked until 6 last nite and got down to Summerfest around 6:45pm or so. Grabbed some food and make my way to the meet up spot. Met up with my cousin Pam who I'm so glad is my cousin. Her taking me along to see the Grateful Dead in 1994 and 1995 with her friends I'll never forget. Right away she gives me half a tab of something very trippy. I haven't done that in almost 8 yrs I think. But ''Fuck it'' I didn't hesitate and take it. Were going to see Rodger Waters my cousins says. :D Grabbing a beer to get it down and were good to go.

Making our way to the Marcus Amphitheater the lines of people going to the show is massive. Old and young we all know who were here to see. Seats were section 6, Row G, fucking dead center. Everybody around is just in the best mood. A few people younger near me but pretty much a older crowd around me. Many of us under some type of influence of something. hehe

The special effects threw out the show were unbelievable. Puts PJ's lite show from last tour to shame. LOL Petty much the entire first set is one Pink Floyd hit after hit. Hearing ''Mother'' , ''Wish you were here'', ''Brain Damage'' and so many more was such a thrill and flashback to my younger days. When things didn't bug me and it was just the music. Listening to the songs on cd is one thing. But hearing the voice of all those songs live it's something I'll never forget. About 30 min's into the show the hit I took b4 is taking effect. It was a fucking awesome trip with colors and the music adding to it. During ''Wish you were Here'' I called my buddy that couldn't make the show due to his fuck up. I had to share this song with him. He texted back with a big ''thank you'' and sorry that he wasn't there. I texted back saying next time your going. hehe Also getting a few texts from a special friend I also wished was there was sweet. You know who you are. :)

I have to thank Sam and Michelle for the great smoke. The entire row was puffing and the whole place seemed to be high. I'll be thinking about this show for the rest of my life. It's in my top 5 for sure. Outdoor shows are the best IMO. If you have a chance to see Roger Waters go do so. You of course don't need to be on anything, it does add to it. hehehe But go see him and it will amaze you. My cousin and I had a awesome time just like everyone else did. Just a great time with great people and great music.

Thanks for listening. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    By far one of the best shows I have ever seen in my short life. Bummed at work knowing my best bud wasn't going to the show sucked. But I worked until 6 last nite and got down to Summerfest around 6:45pm or so. Grabbed some food and make my way to the meet up spot. Met up with my cousin Pam who I'm so glad is my cousin. Her taking me along to see the Grateful Dead in 1994 and 1995 with her friends I'll never forget. Right away she gives me half a tab of something very trippy. I haven't done that in almost 8 yrs I think. But ''Fuck it'' I didn't hesitate and take it. Were going to see Rodger Waters my cousins says. :D Grabbing a beer to get it down and were good to go.

Making our way to the Marcus Amphitheater the lines of people going to the show is massive. Old and young we all know who were here to see. Seats were section 6, Row G, fucking dead center. Everybody around is just in the best mood. A few people younger near me but pretty much a older crowd around me. Many of us under some type of influence of something. hehe

The special effects threw out the show were unbelievable. Puts PJ's lite show from last tour to shame. LOL Petty much the entire first set is one Pink Floyd hit after hit. Hearing ''Mother'' , ''Wish you were here'', ''Brain Damage'' and so many more was such a thrill and flashback to my younger days. When things didn't bug me and it was just the music. Listening to the songs on cd is one thing. But hearing the voice of all those songs live it's something I'll never forget. About 30 min's into the show the hit I took b4 is taking effect. It was a fucking awesome trip with colors and the music adding to it. During ''Wish you were Here'' I called my buddy that couldn't make the show due to his fuck up. I had to share this song with him. He texted back with a big ''thank you'' and sorry that he wasn't there. I texted back saying next time your going. hehe Also getting a few texts from a special friend I also wished was there was sweet. You know who you are. :)

I have to thank Sam and Michelle for the great smoke. The entire row was puffing and the whole place seemed to be high. I'll be thinking about this show for the rest of my life. It's in my top 5 for sure. Outdoor shows are the best IMO. If you have a chance to see Rodger Waters go do so. You of course don't need to be on anything, it does add to it. hehehe But go see him and it will amaze you. My cousin and I had a awesome time just like everyone else did. Just a great time with great people and great music.

Sounds awesome dude! Good music will always change your mood & make life better.
    NERDS!
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Sounds awesome dude! Good music will always change your mood & make life better.

Indeed it does. :)

Happy fourth of July btw. :D
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I unno, I thought it was a good show, but it didn't live up to the hype.

The special effects WERE incredible though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm going Monday night in Boston - any opening band?

I cannot wait...
    coming up

MSG 1
    Ringo the next night in Boston
    Hartford
    Boston 1 & 2

hell's yeah...
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    Glad you had a great time. We were at Social D last night at the Fest and had a blast! Mike Ness is just phenominal!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm going Monday night in Boston - any opening band?

I cannot wait...
    No opening band.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    It's Roger, not Rodger.

His show here Saturday night was pleasantly surprising. I'd seen him in 1999 and 2000, so seeing as a lot of the show was the same songs I'd seen already, I can't say I was that excited for it- I really felt like I was going just because he's one member of my favorite band and I felt obligated to see it.

But he at least made it worth going to. This was a tighter band, a more thematic show, and, as already mentioned in this thread, had more visual entertainment than most shows I've seen. Roger seems to have finally come to terms with the fact that people want to see him play Floyd songs, and have them be played right. That certainly wasn't the case in 99 and 00.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    Indeed it does. :)

Happy fourth of July btw. :D

Are you checking out ratdog on the 5th?
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I'm going Monday night in Boston - any opening band?

I cannot wait...
    My husband will be there with his friend! Look for 2 guys that are so psyched to be without the wives and kids. lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    AndySlash wrote:
    It's Roger, not Rodger.

Please forgive my wrong spelling. :D I didn't even see that until now. hehe

GoBucky wrote:
    Glad you had a great time. We were at Social D last night at the Fest and had a blast! Mike Ness is just phenominal!

I had friends at the Social D show also, they loved it. :D Are you going anymore to Summerfest?

Get_Right wrote:
    Are you checking out ratdog on the 5th?

Yes I sure am. :D
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    For those who have seen him on this tour did all the fans sit? I saw him around 99-00 and everyone stood, but when I saw him in Toronto (I dunno, maybe 6 months ago) everyone sat.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have a serious problem sitting at a concert, but ppl wouldn't stop telling me to sit down.

All and all a good show, but it really sucked watching it from my seat.

Floyd fans in Toronto - U suck!
    Red Lukin wrote:
    For those who have seen him on this tour did all the fans sit? I saw him around 99-00 and everyone stood, but when I saw him in Toronto (I dunno, maybe 6 months ago) everyone sat.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have a serious problem sitting at a concert, but ppl wouldn't stop telling me to sit down.

Everyone was on there feet the whole show last nite. Sorry about your Toronto experience.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Everyone was on there feet the whole show last nite. Sorry about your Toronto experience.

Maybe I was a little harsh, but I'm glad it wasn't like that at all venues. It was a little depressing.
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Maybe I was a little harsh, but I'm glad it wasn't like that at all venues. It was a little depressing.

No worries at all. :D

I still can't believe how great that show was last nite. :D:):D:)
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Was there as well last night and walked away plesently surprised. It was a good show, but I liked the PJ/Petty shows last year better. Just my personal preference. I like Floyd but as far as classic rock goes there's plenty of bands I like better (Zep, Stones, Hendrix) but again that's a personal preference. I especially enjoyed the special effects (the pig with impeach bush on it's ass (priceless!!!), and the lights during the playing of the Dark Side of the Moon album. My fav's throughout the night were Have a Cigar, Time, Mother, and Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 (which may have been one of the loudest sing alongs I've heard in awhile). I also liked the old school radio on the screen before the show and the guy tuning it to different stations with different music, thought that was cool.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Red Lukin wrote:
    For those who have seen him on this tour did all the fans sit?

Yes, and it pissed me the fuck off.

Show's chugging along and we get to the Final Cut stuff. People in rows up front start sitting and its a domino effect (I was in row 19). I and a few others stay standing but eventually you hear people bitching and telling other people to sit down (though not me because I still had a group of about 8-10 people in front of me standing). We stand through the first part of Perfect Sense, and then when they pipe in the crowd noise for the anthem part, everyone stood again. But as soon as Leaving Beirut started, BAM, everyone sat down, even the people in front of me. Not wanting to be "that guy" I sat, too, but not before yelling at everyone that it was bullshit. Once Sheep hit and the pig came out, everyone was back up, and they stayed up the rest of the show.

My understanding was a lot of people on the upper/lower decks sat much of the show (my buddy up in the nosebleeds sat the whole thing, he said), but I never really looked around to see. If I did I'd have probably been pissed.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I'm seeing him in Buffalo next week. Can't wait!
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
    drew0 wrote:
    I'm seeing him in Buffalo next week. Can't wait!

Have a great time. :D
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Red Lukin wrote:

I was there and I am going again in a few weeks. It dosen't bother me that people sit at the show(s). Hell I was so unimpressed when I saw The Cure once that I sat through the whole show while everybody around me was up. I don't mind bouncing and having a good time. But Waters and the age of his crowd you may expect more then the average amount of people to be seated.

From my seat I can see the people in front of me playing air guitar to Gilmore. Do they really need to stand for that? ;)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Thanks Roger.

You are one class act, man. Absolutely brilliant.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225

I have to thank Sam and Michelle for the great smoke. The entire row was puffing and the whole place seemed to be high. I'll be thinking about this show for the rest of my life. It's in my top 5 for sure. Outdoor shows are the best IMO. If you have a chance to see Roger Waters go do so. You of course don't need to be on anything, it does add to it. hehehe But go see him and it will amaze you. My cousin and I had a awesome time just like everyone else did. Just a great time with great people and great music.

Was it outdoors? Did the Pig On The Wing fly away?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    Was it outdoors? Did the Pig On The Wing fly away?

yes it was outside and no the pig didn't float away. :D
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Did I NOT tell you Roger was by far the BEST show I have seen to date! I love PJ and all, but nothing can beat the setlist, the vocals, the holographics, the entire package! Glad you got to experience what I've been saying all along...
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
    yahamita wrote:
    Did I NOT tell you Roger was by far the BEST show I have seen to date! I love PJ and all, but nothing can beat the setlist, the vocals, the holographics, the entire package! Glad you got to experience what I've been saying all along...

One of the best shows I have ever seen Lisa. :D
  • RWRW Posts: 97
    I saw Roger Waters last Thursday at Darien Lake (Buffalo), and it was an amazing show. I used to be really into Pink Floyd but hadn't listened to this stuff in years. I thought that some of these songs might sound a bit dated considering the subject matter: WWII, the Falkland Islands War, Thatcher, Reagan... It hit me during hte show that these same songs can just as easily apply to Iraq, Blair and Bush today. The band overall was great. There were only a couple places where I felt they missed David Gilmour. And the visual effects made it so much more than the typical rock concert. Sheep was the highlight of the first set (that song still rocks) along with the Shine on You Crazy Diamond/Syd Barrett tribute. That set almost would have been enough, but to come back and do all of Dark Side, plus an encore...amazing! Very glad I finally got to see the man in person.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    I saw Roger Waters last Thursday at Darien Lake (Buffalo), and it was an amazing show. I used to be really into Pink Floyd but hadn't listened to this stuff in years. I thought that some of these songs might sound a bit dated considering the subject matter: WWII, the Falkland Islands War, Thatcher, Reagan... It hit me during hte show that these same songs can just as easily apply to Iraq, Blair and Bush today. The band overall was great. There were only a couple places where I felt they missed David Gilmour. And the visual effects made it so much more than the typical rock concert. Sheep was the highlight of the first set (that song still rocks) along with the Shine on You Crazy Diamond/Syd Barrett tribute. That set almost would have been enough, but to come back and do all of Dark Side, plus an encore...amazing! Very glad I finally got to see the man in person.

The flying pig with "Impeach Bush Now" written on it's ass was a definite highlight.

Bring the Boys Back Home