Good News For People Who Love Bad News

edited January 2008 in Other Music
From reading various message-boards and hearing opinions of other people, many think this is Modest Mouse's sellout album, and not nearly as good as any of their others.

My favorite Modest Mouse album is the Lonesome Crowded West, but Good News definitely holds its own as an album. I think it is definitely one of their better works, even though it takes a lot of shit from the "hardcore" fans.

I never realized it before, but listening to it now, to me at-least, it truly is a great album.
Drunk by noon but that's ok
I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
Hartford 96,
Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like all of Modest Mouse's albums but this one is def. one of my favorites. Float On is a kick ass song, it has such a great vibe. Bury Me With It, Bukowski, all the songs are great.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Its a great album, whoever says its a sellout album is a clown. Just listen to it because its good, who cares if they became popular with it. No need for music snobbery.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • my second favorite next to Lonesome Crowded West. Actually its the only two i like, so i guess im not a hardcore fan.

I saw them in N.O. a couple of weeks ago with a friend who was a huge fan, and they sucked. no energy. My friend has seen them before and she thought they were terrible that night.

I've heard they are pretty uneven live. sometimes good, sometimes bad. anybody seen them live?
  • MrSmith wrote:
    my second favorite next to Lonesome Crowded West. Actually its the only two i like, so i guess im not a hardcore fan.

I saw them in N.O. a couple of weeks ago with a friend who was a huge fan, and they sucked. no energy. My friend has seen them before and she thought they were terrible that night.

I've heard they are pretty uneven live. sometimes good, sometimes bad. anybody seen them live?

Yea I saw them this past August in Baltimore and they were very good IMO, but like you said I also heard they are hit or miss live.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I love Good News. . .I don't quite see how it is drastically different from their other work, so I don't understand the sellout comments. So many great songs.

I am one of those who has had bad luck seeing them live. Two absolutely horrific performances (one of which was with Johnny Marr). I refuse to shell out any more money to see them.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Actually I put Lonesome Crowded West at the bottom of the list for their albums.....The Moon and Antarctica is their best! Then Building Something Out Of Nothing, then GNFPWLBN, then This is a Long Drive, then WWDBTSES, then Lonesome Crowded.

Thats how I rank them.
  • Rumor has it that they are changing their name to Pretentious Mouse.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I like this album a lot, it was a great introduction to their music for me. I now think The Moon & Antarctica is better.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • MrSmith wrote:
    I've seen them 6 times:
    1 Amazing show - A+
    2 Stellar shows - A-
    1 Great show - B+
    1 Alright show - C+

And one fucking insane show (the Sioux Falls show from March of 07 when Isaac cut himself) - A+
    Isaac's voice has gotten A LOT better from the first time I saw them to the most recent show I saw of theirs in December. Modest Mouse are easily one of my favorite bands and I'll shell out to see them every chance I get.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I love that album.....

'sellout blah blah blah' - that shit gets boring.....

Their new record with Johnny Marr is amazing.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I saw them in August last summer in Nashville at the Ryman auditorium. One of the best performances ever. They were recording it with HD cameras. I hope we get to see this released.

Isaac lost his shit on most of the songs.

I happen to like all their albums...but Johnny Marr has added some depth and the new album has really grown on me.
    the Minions
  • MrSmith wrote:
    my second favorite next to Lonesome Crowded West. Actually its the only two i like, so i guess im not a hardcore fan.

I saw them here in Atlanta about 3 weeks back and they were ok. Brock was allegedly pretty sick and they didn't even do an encore. I was surprised in that most of their stuff came off of Good News rather than We Were Dead... But it was also a radio show which may explain the need to lean on older more familiar stuff.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    I think their albums are pretty good, i only have the newest 2, would like to catch them live sometime...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    They're stuff before Good news.... was pretty rubbish to be honest.The last two have been great,I can listen to them over again.It's a bit of struggle to get through the earlier ones.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    the world at large is an amazing song to zone out and forget the world to. This album got me into this band, and I think their last album was fantastic as well. I think people hate it when indie bands get big, which is weird because that means people hate it when bands become successful.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • Great album.

My second favorite Modest Mouse record.
  • if by sellout they mean "the album that got modest mouse on the map as a great band and opened up their back catalog to new fans to realize their genius which is also apparent on good news for people who love bad news" then YEAH they sold out to the devil...and got bigger dicks to boot...the album is great for me...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours