i'm off to the record store...

mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
edited August 2006 in Other Music
i'm looking for records that will broaden my alphabetic senses.

i want to find a good band that would categorize ahead of ac/dc...so if you know any good aa____ or ab_______ (not abba) bands that are good let me know.

also i have about 1000 albums but to this day i haven't found any "Z" artists that i like, so if you can think of any Z artists i should check out let me know (not ZZ top, Zappa, or Zwan, or Rob Zombie)

and let me know of any other bands i should know about too.
so far on the list i have:
The high Dials
Silversun Pickups
Billy Brag & Wilco
350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    If you don't have any Matthew Good Band, you really should look into it.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    since you're getting wilco, try son volt's highway 61 ep or varnaline's man of sin.
  • Ahh, the good old alphabet Z!

Zeke - they played behind Eddie for that Ramones tribute. Their albums are like 15 songs, 21 minutes. lol Fast, grinding, fierce rock and roll.

Tom Ze - There's an accent on that e, but anyway, Brazilian legendary artist with a twist of psychedelia and pop. He's great.

The Zutons - kind of selling big, but a quintet from UK with lotsa soul and funk blended with horror themes and darker pop. I prefer their first effort.

Zu - An Italian trio. Very avant garde, free jazz, noise kind of stuff. Very weird, but I fuvking love them. Don't try if you don't like that kindo f music, though. lol

And my fav would have to be John Zorn. I don't think there's a need for an explanation there.;)
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    A Silver Mt. Zion
    65daysofstatic
    3 Inches Of Blood
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    Echoes wrote:
    A Silver Mt. Zion
    65daysofstatic
    3 Inches Of Blood

numbers get categorized as spelled in my book.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    what's a record store?
  • A Tribe Called Quest?
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    WITCH

new band from New York area i believe. they just came out with a new record. the drummer was the drummer in Dino Jr. they kick ASS!
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Witch is good, yes. The drummer is J Mascis who is regarded as one of the great indie guitarists of all time...though I found him a bit irritating live and he would get his head cut by Doug Martsch.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Alone. wrote:
    WITCH

new band from New York area i believe. they just came out with a new record. the drummer was the drummer in Dino Jr. they kick ASS!

J Mascis is actually the singer and Guitarist in Dinosaur Jr.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • selfself Posts: 64
    Was it just Lou Barlow who was in Sebadoh? BTW Sebadoh are an amazing band too.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    If you don't own Powder Burns by the Twilight Singers, it is an absolute must - incredible record.

Oh and the band A would be my suggestion, they're not really that good mind.....
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Inkdaub wrote:
    Witch is good, yes. The drummer is J Mascis who is regarded as one of the great indie guitarists of all time...though I found him a bit irritating live and he would get his head cut by Doug Martsch.

doug and J are actually freinds. They played a concert together last summer i believe and it was awesome they just jammed together for an hour.

I happen to like J a bit more then doug personally, but they are both great. Conventional Wisdom off of the new BTS album really sounds like it would have fit right in with J's last solo album free so free with the harmonics used.

Have you heard J's solo record Free so Free? His guitar work on that album really took a step foward. Less of the sludgyness of his older Dinosaur jr work and more melodic.

Now as for bands before AC/DC.... First one that jumps out is:
    A Perfect Circle

and for the record yes Lou Barlow was in sebodoh and J was the drummer for Lou and J's first band which i'm pretty sure was called Deep Wound or something like that.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    i categorize "a" bands the same same way i categorize "the" bands with the second word being the alphbetized one.
    the who = "w"
    A perfect circle = "p"
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    intodeep wrote:
    doug and J are actually freinds. They played a concert together last summer i believe and it was awesome they just jammed together for an hour.

I happen to like J a bit more then doug personally, but they are both great. Conventional Wisdom off of the new BTS album really sounds like it would have fit right in with J's last solo album free so free with the harmonics used.

Have you heard J's solo record Free so Free? His guitar work on that album really took a step foward. Less of the sludgyness of his older Dinosaur jr work and more melodic.

Now as for bands before AC/DC.... First one that jumps out is:
    A Perfect Circle

and for the record yes Lou Barlow was in sebodoh and J was the drummer for Lou and J's first band which i'm pretty sure was called Deep Wound or something like that.

Yeah, I was just being a smart alec is all. J and Doug are both great players. I more familiar with Doug is all really. I haven't heard J's solo work but maybe I should check it out. I didn't know J was a drummer in a band before Dinosaur Jr. It makes sense as his playing in Witch is pretty decent in a rock out and hit the drums hard sort of way.