SMC ~ The Dead Science: Submariner

mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
edited August 2006 in Other Music
discovered these guys in 2003 at Bumbershoot in Seattle.

their music is very elegant, moody, and dark.
There is a lot of Jazz characteristics in the music but not overly done, you can also hear a strong radio influence, without ripping off their style and being able to come up with something that sounds completely there own.

I prefer listening to this album in the winter as it is very dark and heavy (not in the metal sense)

Some of you may have trouble getting used to the voice since it is in falsetto (and i'm guessing a lot of you prefer more of a baritone considering the board we're on), but i hope you all enjoy it none the less.

clcik in the IMPROVED!!!! link for the better link and click on the original message for the tracklisting.

Girl with the unseen hand, batty, unseeing eye, and Tension at a Pitch ar my favorite tracks.
350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Just downloaded this......I might get a listen in tonight.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    "Batty" is kicking my ass right now! This is f*cking good, mookeywrench.

Thanks!

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    thanks for the news ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    so far i really like Batty, girl with the unseen hand and tension at a pitch. the album really is dark and brooding and begs to be listened to late at night

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    cool, I just gave it a listen. you have mighty interesting picks, I will give you that.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    glad you guys are enjoying it so far....link expires in 6 days.

They play many shows here in Seattle at a variety of places from the vera project (the only all ages venue in seattle), to the Seattle art museum, and the showbox. They're really fun to watch. They're very laid back, yet intense at the same time. They're the only band i've seen live to this day where the guitarist ended up with bloody knuckles at the end of the set. The bassist is incredibly talented as well and is amazing to watch live.

They're one of those bands where the audience is completely quiet with their full attention as the band plays.
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    i'm enjoying this a lot...
    it really is a great late at night album... i like the instrumentation... your falsetto disclaimer lead me to expect something completely different... i enjoy higher pitched voices as much as a soothing baritoe but after your warning i was ready for some extreme bee gees vs bon scott vocals... however, the singers voice is a bit buckleyesque and reminds me a lot of thom yorke...
    i can see why they are compared to radiohead a lot, but i don't think they sound too much alike except that they are both very artsy...
    i'd love to sit down at a jazz club, admire their musicianship and just get lost in the music...

great pick! i will definitely listen to this a lot!
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
    link expires in 5 days.

they have an upcoming show in Seattle at the Lo-Fi Performance Gallery September first.
    link expires in 4 days
  • i've downloaded, but haven't listened yet. give me a few days, school just started again so between that and work it's hard to find free time to listen:( i'm anxious to hear it though, everyone here seems to think it's good.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I can't download it...:confused:
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    link expires in 5 days.

they have an upcoming show in Seattle at the Lo-Fi Performance Gallery September first.

that's the night of the M. Ward show at Neumo's, otherwise I'd go.

viggs20 wrote:
    I can't download it...when I click on the link it says you must be logged in to download this file and the username is :confused:

click on the link that says improved...if you get locked out the password is pearljam

and PS: check your PM's
    link expires in 2 days....
    bump this one more time tonight
    Thanks mookeywrench...just downloaded the album and edited my post.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Sorry for missing some albums, folks. Strapping Young Lad I'm getting through, and Kate Bush I totally missed (maybe I'll pick up a copy).

This, I got through a few times, and I like it a lot. Love the freak-out parts. Very moody, and that voice actually goes very well with the instrumentation. I don't think a baritone would work here.

Longer tunes could very well fit this band, and they could do more exploring of soundscapes I think. I can see the Radiohead comparison (quite obvious actually), but this jazz-influenced music is very good indeed.

Thanks mookeywrench, another band to keep an eye on!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
    last day to download
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    last day to download

;( i missed it. i tried to download a few nites ago and it kept messing up.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Very fine album although the sound quality is a bit lacking I think. Maybe, its the lo-fi vibe they were going for and I hear some Slint with the spoken vocals and long jams which are very well done. Tension of Pitch especially is a ripper and I like how Below slowly builds into that jam. Nice pick !

yeah the sound quality is the best, but can't really expect much for a debut album on a indie label. Their second album definitely takes care of that dilema
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Well this wasn't too bad. Nothing that really *grabbed* me, you know, but nothing on here that I'd turn off either. A pleasant listen throughout.

I really like the jazz elements they invoke in their sound. Their bassist also stood out in almost every track- his playing is very very good here.

The singer sounds a bit like Jeff Buckley to me, and their overall sound could be somewhat compared to the band Ours (whose singer/main guy has been accused of being a Jeff Buckley ripoff a few times in his career, too), but with a more lazy, moody feel to it.

I might have to check out their subsequent record. They sound, to me, like they have a lot of potential on this album but it isn't fully realized here.

Good pick.