Living with War- Neil Young

stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I gave this album a listen today and confirmed that it's a big steaming pile of crap!

Just thought I would share....
Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    stickfig13 wrote:
    I gave this album a listen today and confirmed that it's a big steaming pile of crap!

Just thought I would share....

What about The Restless Consumer? That is a great song!!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Danimal wrote:
    What about The Restless Consumer? That is a great song!!!!

Best of the worst....

Looking for a leader lyrics:

Yeah maybe it's Obama
    But he thinks that he's too young
    Maybe it's Colin Powell
    To right what he's done wrong

Listen to this song.....it's terrible!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Lyrically, it isn't his best, but the RAW version without the chorus is much better.
    I heard he recorded it in a week or something....

98% of the album reflects it

Some of the lyrics sound like he's making them up as he goes....
    I think Shock and Awe is good too. Then again Neil could record a burp and I would buy it.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Uncle Neil wrote this very rapidly and got it out here to get his views and message out. I do not think he was too concerned with quality of lyrics so much as the message itself. As long as it poses discussion and thought for or against it's doing what he set out to do.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    neil young wrote this quick and it's an obvious fuck bush and the war album and i think he got the point he wanted to make quite strongly out on this album. Clearly the music wasn't meant to be shakespeare but I think he just wanted to get his points of view across in a shuddering manner... You gotta love it.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    neil young wrote this quick and it's an obvious fuck bush and the war album and i think he got the point he wanted to make quite strongly out on this album. Clearly the music wasn't meant to be shakespeare but I think he just wanted to get his points of view across in a shuddering manner... You gotta love it.

It's still crap....
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I think it's crap, too. I'm pretty sure he even talks about diarrhea in one song. I love Neil Young and everything, but I don't want to listen to him sing about diarrhea.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Roger and Me is very good.
    Lookin for a leader is very good.
    Restless Consumer is very good.

Hell there are a lot of songs on it i dig actually. i think it is a nice addition to a guys catalog that has about 30 something releases already.

Unlike some bands that take 5 years to put out an album he popped that one out real quick.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    atleast its not as bad as "lucky thirteen" :D

still pretty shitty though! and theres few things of neils i dont love
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • i like the restless consumer and shock and awe....80% have the exact same drum beat and tempo. it all sounds the same..
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I love this album
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Murder wrote:
    i like the restless consumer and shock and awe....80% have the exact same drum beat and tempo. it all sounds the same..
    Well neil admits all of his stuff is all the same song :)

just listen to year of the horse he'll tell you that himself :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Julien wrote:
    I love this album

Me too. There's an immediacy to it that's been missing from some of Neil's other recent albums (cough, AYP, cough). Everybody rips on bush these days, but very few musicians were willing to speak out against him, even in 2006. I like the fact that Neil has continued with the concept on his website:

http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/index.html
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Piece Of Crap"

Tried to save the trees
    Bought a platsic bag
    The bottom fell out
    It was a piece of crap

Saw it on the tube
    Bought it on the phone
    Now you're home alone
    It's a piece of crap

I tried to plug in it
    I tried to turn it on
    When I got it home
    It was a piece of crap

Got it from a friend
    On him you can depend
    I found out in the end
    It was a piece of crap

I'm trying to save the trees
    I saw it on TV
    They cut the forest down
    To build a piece of crap

I went back to the store
    They gave me four more
    The guy told me at the door
    It's a piece of crap
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    i'd probably listen to neil take a dump - and like it!
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • So cool and the videos are great in the RAW version

Neil is amazing
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Neil has said himself he wasn't trying to do it to get acclaim, but I think it is full of a man singing with urgency and anger and his classic tone dirtied up even more adds so much to it.

Love the choir too.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Neil has said himself he wasn't trying to do it to get acclaim, but I think it is full of a man singing with urgency and anger and his classic tone dirtied up even more adds so much to it.

Love the choir too.
    I haven't heard it, but after reading reviews, this pretty much seems to sum it up. Made quickly and in anger. I will check it out for sure and if I know Neil it will stand the test of time. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    It isn't his best work, but I still like it. "After the Garden" is a great song. "Shock and Awe" and "The Restless Comsumer" are pretty damn good too.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i dont mind it, but i can see both sides of the coin. take it for what it is, a protest record recorded in a week and rushed out to market to make a statement and still be relevant.

I LOVE NEIL.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    it sounds like post brain surgery.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    I'm sheep

Neil is God

Loved that CSN&Y toured with this cd...and some people complain about PJ being political...that CSNY tour was um miles above anything ev has ever said on any tour!

Let"s Impeach the President for Lying
    And Trans RULES! Don't care what you all say! HAHAHA.