Options

5 albums that changes your life (or at least adolescence life) completely...

jorgemsjorgems Posts: 276
edited March 2008 in The Porch
For me:

1. Pearl Jams Vitalogy (Ten deserves to be on a list of its own obviously)
2. REMs Out of Time (my first actual CD!)
3. Guns and Roses Use your Illusion I and II
4. Counting Crows: August and Everything After
5. Heroes del Silencio: El Espiritu del Vino

anyone else share any of these?
Albuquerque 98, BSB 99, Houston 2000, San Antonio 2003, Monterrey 2005, Las Vegas 2006, Los Angeles Night 2 2008 (Ed Solo)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    Yield- to this day, still the best record i've ever listened to
    Soul Coughing's El Oso- just a fresh sound, unlike anything I've ever heard before
    Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts and Flowers-I don't love it as much now as i did when i bought it (first sy album i ever bought in HS...in life really) but it changed the way i listen to music, it was very different
    Beatles- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- need I say more?
    Zeppelin-IV you know what I'm saying
  • Options
    GremmieOOCGremmieOOC Posts: 167
    1: Pearl Jam- Ten and Vs.
    2: Red Hot Chili Peppers- Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    3: Rage Against The Machine- Self titled
    4: Guns and Roses- Appetite for Destruction
    5: Temple of the Dog
    Buffalo '96, Montreal '98, Saratoga '00, Toronto '03, Hamilton '05, Cleveland '06, MSG I '08, Mansfield I '08, Hamilton '11, Hartford '13, Charlotte '13
    EV-Montreal '08, Albany '09, Hartford '11
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Nirvana - Nevermind(only reason I got really into rock music)
    Pearl Jam - Yield (as the person above me said,the best album I've ever heard.Wishlist,Given To Fly,Faithful,MFC....all of it,I think Ten was the angry side of life and this was reflecting on the positive)
    Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American(2nd best album I've ever heard and one of the few I can still listen to from start fo finish after all these years)
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (The most personal album I've ever heard,Billy Corgan thought about killing himself before making this album but making it helped him stay alive,consequently it's an album that can get anyone thtough hard times)
    Beatles - Sgt .Pepper - (hated the Beatles for some reason before I heard this but it's hard not to worship them after hearing it,perfection)
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    jorgems wrote:
    For me:

1. Pearl Jams Vitalogy (Ten deserves to be on a list of its own obviously)
    2. REMs Out of Time (my first actual CD!)
    3. Guns and Roses Use your Illusion I and II
    4. Counting Crows: August and Everything After
    5. Heroes del Silencio: El Espiritu del Vino

anyone else share any of these?

GNR albums had an impact...especially Appetite...it was a change in music
    Nirvana Nevermind... turned me into a grungy teen with no aim in life
    Pearl Jam VS..
    Sublime 40 oz
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    1-Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
    2-Metallica - Kill em All
    3-GNR - Appetite for Destruction
    4-Nirvana - Nevermind
    5-Pearl Jam - Ten, but all of the PJ albums have pretty much dropped during significant life changes/events.
    6-NWA Straight Outta Compton
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    counting crows - august and everything after
    death cab for cutie - transatlanticism
    pearl jam - vitalogy
    bright eyes - lifted
    elliot smith - figure 8
  • Options
    Nirvana-Nevermind
    Led zeppelin-Iv
    Pearl Jam-Yield
    RHCP-Suger Blood Sex Magic
    Radiohead-The Bends
    Cant touch the bottom...

London 96.
    Manchester 00.
    London 07.
  • Options
    PjWeezyPjWeezy Posts: 159
    Pearl Jam-Vs.
    Counting Crows- Recovering the Sattelites
    Goo Goo Dolls- Dizzy up the girl
    Red Hot Chili Peppers- Californication
    Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness/ Aeroplane Flies High (Box Set)
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    i shoulda said ok computer
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Good thread!!!!

1. Vs. - Indifference (hence the SN) had a MAJOR impact on how I approached life. "I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind." "I will walk arms outstrectched, pretend I'm free to roam." "I'll keep taking punches, until their will grows tired." In short, it was what gave me the will to fight back and take a stand against how much shit people gave me.

2. Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral - Much of the same inspiration to get pissed off and take control of my life. Probably the best album from my 2nd fav. band too.

3. Counting Crows - Live on a Wire Though the cumulative songs are from mult. albums, Duritz just cranks up the inensity of the frustration and sadness on this album. Any day I'm REALLY feeling self-loathing, I just listen to this album and be thankful I'm not that guy!

4. Rage Against the Machine - Self titled Though my political views have "mellowed" quite a bit since, I have this album and their other work to thank for making me MUCH more conscientious of politics.

5. Kid A - Kiss my ass you whiny Ok Computer fans, this is THE BEST ALBUM OF THE 90's, and the best thing Radiohead ever did! It transcends the way we normally LISTEN to music, and it has an almost "atmospheric" and spatial feel to it. How to Disappear Completely was the ONLY thing I listened to on 9/11 because it captured the helplessness and denial of what was happening that day so well.

Other noteworthy mentions:

The rest of the Pearl Jam catalog - As it's been said many times before, the boys have been writing a soundtrack for our lives. I can always point to one song or another that seems to capture my mood at any given point. Thankfully I'm hanging up Sleight of Hand and Unemployable for awhile now that I've got a job I'm happy with.

Bright Eyes - Lifted and Desperadicios. I didn't discover Oberst til about 2002 or so, but if I had heard Read Music, Speak Spanish back when it came out in 97 I would've FLIPPED!!! Very similar to my views on urban sprawl, The American Dream, etc.

Tool - Undertow and A Perfect Circle - Mer De Mons - 3 Libras and The Rose have had a pretty strong effect on me. So did some of the songs on Undertow.

Sigor Ros - I don't listen to them often, but they do music a similar justice with the way their sound is layered similar to Radiohead.

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans I've been a big fan of this band since I discovered them because they throw a "lyrical sucker punch" much like Radiohead. You're listening to something kinda upbeat and Popish at times, and they you get socked in the gut with what Gibbard has to say. I Will Follow You into the Dark and What Sarah Said came out right as my Grandpa was suffering from cancer and I always have a hard time listening to those songs for the positive (Follow) and very negative (Sarah Said) sides of losing someone you love to some kind of illness.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Live - Throwing Copper
    R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
    R.E.M. - Up (released when I was in college, but still...)
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    U2 - The Joshua Tree

Honorable Mention:
    The Smiths - Singles
    Counting Crows - August and Everything After
    Radiohead - The Bends
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    The Beatles - Revolver (I was 6 when I first heard it... definitely had some impact on my musical taste growing up)

Pearl Jam - No Code (the most meaningful PJ album to me)

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (the opening chords of Teen Age Riot get me every single time)

Fugazi - 13 Songs (Give Me The Cure -> Suggestion might be the best 2 song transition of all time)

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted (two words... Steve Malkmus)
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    U2 : Achtung Baby
    Red Hot Chili Peppers : Blood Sugar Sex Magic
    Nirvana : Nevermind
    Living Colour : Vivid
    Nine Inch Nails : Pretty Hate Machine
    Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique
    Faith No More: The Real Thing

Man I miss that time period musically.

I was going to put PJ in there, but I could put any album in the list, and I'm pretty sure we all feel the same about them :)

That being said, I can't think of a recent album to put on this list. That makes me kinda sad.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    1. Fugazi "13 songs". I grew up on country and a.m. radio, and didn't know there was other types of music out there. Then I went to High School and met other people with different taste's of music. This album changed everything.

2. Pearl Jam "VS.": Good god I thought Ten was the greatest thing since sliced bread, then this came along. Others followed that I think are almost perfect to, but this is where it started.

3. Stevie Ray Vaughn, "Texas Flood": Non stop straight through every song, everything about it. Just gives me the chills.

4. Social Distortion "Love, Sex and Rock N Roll": Reminded me that true punk will never die. This album is perfect. Don't get me wrong all their stuff is completely strong. This one has heart and soul, that means the world to me.

5. Beatles "SGT. Pepper...": I can't believe this was produced and recorded when it was, over the top amazing.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    The Beatles- Abbey Road
    The Who- Who's Next
    Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin III
    Grateful Dead- Ladies and Gentlemen (Live at The Fillmore East-1971)
    Pearl Jam- Vitalogy

I don't know if these albums really changed who I am but they greatly influenced what I look for in music and had a great impact on the person I am.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Pearl Jam-Ten- This along with facelift, dirt, badmoterfinger, lounder then love, bleach, nevermind, blood sugar sex magic, temple of the dog, motherlove bone all these albums all really stem from me loving ten and getting into some great music of hte early 90's

Neil Young - Harvest- I heard old man and i instantly knew this was someone i had to hear more of. Luckily there was a lot more neil out there for me to obsess over.

Modest Mouse- Moon & antartica- I finally got that indie music i always heard so much about. This lead to an obsession with built to spill, pavement, and many other bands to follow.

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue- Jazz its cool. I love it and i got into it because of this album.

not sure about a fifth hopefully that one is coming soon :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    1. Pearl Jam: Live On Two Legs - It was the first Pearl Jam CD I owned. I still remember listening to it Christmas morning in grade 8.

2. Nirvana: Nevermind - I listened to it at my friends cabin in grade 6. I was stunned. I had listened to stuff like Bush, OLP, Silverchair, and Green Day before, but this was the best music I'd ever heard at that point. I was like "OH! So THIS is music!"

3. Green Day: Dookie - First CD I ever owned and the CD that got me into music, got a CD player and a Green Day CD for Christmas in grade 2.

4. Ramones: Ramones Mania - Got me into punk rock. I ended up getting into a lot of other punk bands.

5. Oasis: Definitely Maybe/(What's the Story) Morning Glory? - I got them both on the same day. I was amazed at how good they were. I still listen to them both.
  • Options
    erbie627erbie627 Posts: 14
    Queen - News of the World (We Are the Champions)
    Guns & Roses - Appetite
    Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Pearl Jam - Ten

Honorable Mention
    Alice in Chains - Dirt
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

Most of the albums listed came out during time in the Army. Good drinking and mind altered listening.
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Metallica- Master of Puppets
    Pearl Jam- Ten/Yeild
    Janes Addiction- Nothings Shocking
    Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic
    GnR- Appetite for Destruction
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    pearl jam - ten
    live - throwing copper
    pink floyd - animals
    the doors - strange days
    radiohead- the bends
  • Options
    morphinemorphine Posts: 32
    Pearl Jam -Ten
    Savatage - Streets
    Blind Guardian -Imaginations From The Other Side
    Dream Theater - Images and Words

Guess I'll find out the fifth when I'll go back to Italy and browse my discography!
    Bologna 2006, Verona 2006, Pistoia 2006, EV Santa Cruz 2008, NYC 1&2 2008, Hartford 2008, Mansfield 1&2 2008, EV Boston 1&2 2008, EV Albany 2 2009, PJ20_1, Berlin 1&2 2012, Stockholm 2012
  • Options
    leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    PJ - ten / alice in chains - dirt
    ac/dc - back in black
    led zep - four
    nwa - straight outta compton
    10000 maniacs - unplugged
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Pearl Jam, Ten and Vs.
    Live, Throwing Copper
    OLP-Happiness is Not A Fish That You Can Catch
    Goo Goo Dolls, Dizzy Up the Girl
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Pearl Jam - Ten\Vs.\Vitalogy [sorry,i'm counting it as one. :D ]
    Led Zeppelin - III
    Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
    NIN - Pretty Hate Machine

Would also probably have to include
    The Who - Who Are You OR Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy
    since i got a turntable and those albums in 9th grade, and just played them constantly. Very "teen angsty" :D
    and
    Nirvana - Incesticide ... i just found that so much more gut-punching than Nevermind.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    PJ -Ten
    Metallica -Master Of Puppets
    Geoffrey Oryema -Beat The Border
    Jimi Hendrix - The Blues
    Led Zeppelin -remasters box set

I am amazed, but not amazed seeing as we are all PJ fans in the overlap and common likes we seem to all have
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,179
    1. Faith No More -The Real Thing

2. Pearl Jam - Ten

3. Live -Throwing Copper

4. Red Hot Chilipeppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

5. Stone Temple Pilots - Core
  • Options
    in no particular order:

Siamese Dream/Gish - pumpkins
    Vs.+Vitaligy+No code+yield=college
    Raising Hell - Run DMC
    Rage against the machine
    Petty's Greatest Hits
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Violent Femes
    -ten
    -superunknown
    -whos next
    -harvest
    -ok computer
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    PJ, vs - just because i got ten when it was already out, but vs was the first album of theirs i got the day it came out. and i remember vividly sitting at my drafting table, walkman on, and hearing RVM and finding myself in absolute tears by the end of it. one of a million powerful moments thanks to this band :)

PJ, binaural - was going through a lot at the time, i guess it's more of a dark album but it helped really.

led zep, zoso - on a loop when i was in HS, got me into the rest of the LZ catalog, soundtrack to many fun evenings wiht friends and drawing marathons

carpenters greatest hits - weird i know, but as a little girl, this got me into singing, memorized every song, ended up in choir at school.

neil finn, one all - timing in my life really

i guess it was all about timing lol
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    1. Pearl Jam - Rearviewmirror (It was the first Pearl Jam CD I owned)
    2. Nirvana - Nevermind
    3. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    4. Dave Matthews Band - Live in Central Park
    5. Family Values '99
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens