Flogging Molly...where to start?

spatspat Posts: 644
edited October 2007 in Other Music
I've been a dropkick murphys nut for years now and i thought i didn't have room in my life for TWO irish punk bands so i never gave flogging molly much thought, but the other day i heard "if i ever leave this world alive" on the radio and i had to go home and download it. great song. so maybe its time i give these lads a chance? i see they have a bunch of albums out. can anyone recommend a really good album to start with, or at least a few more good songs? thanks!
My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    allmusicguide chooses swagger as the best album 4.5 stars. sounds like a good place to start.

i trust amg.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Either Swagger or Drunken Lullabies. I have been listening to them since Swagger came out, and I probably like both those records about the same. Within a mile from home is good, but just not quite as good as the others. But I don't think you would be dissapointed with any of their records.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I actually think Within a Mile of Home is their best effort. I realize I am in the minority with this. Used to that though. Incidentally, they are one of the best live bands around.

As for great songs: Devil's Dance Floor, Selfish Man, Wanderlust, Within a Mile of Home, Never Met a Girl Like Your Before, Seven Deadly Sins, Black Friday Rule. . .
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I'm assuming you're already a fan of the Pogues??
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    They are absolutely amazing to see live. I saw them play back in 2004 at san diego street scene and there was no doubt about it that they brought the house down. REM, B-52's, 311, and Social D played street scene that year and my co-workers and I were in consensus that Flogging Molly stole the show. 311 and Social D are still pretty amazing live as well, though. I guess it's just that when you've never heard or heard of a certain band and suddenly you hear them live and you can't believe your ears, it makes a more lasting impression than hearing a band whose songs you've already become familiar with....I mean...with whose songs you've already become familiar.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    allmusicguide chooses swagger as the best album 4.5 stars. sounds like a good place to start.

i trust amg.

im addicted to amg... it's my chief source for reviews.

as to flogging molly, i dig them but all their albums are pretty much the same i think.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    spat wrote:
    I've been a dropkick murphys nut for years now and i thought i didn't have room in my life for TWO irish punk bands so i never gave flogging molly much thought, but the other day i heard "if i ever leave this world alive" on the radio and i had to go home and download it. great song. so maybe its time i give these lads a chance? i see they have a bunch of albums out. can anyone recommend a really good album to start with, or at least a few more good songs? thanks!

Some of my favorite songs are Another Bag of Bricks, Devil's Dance Floor, and Rebels of the Sacred Heart, so I'd recommend those. If you like frenetic Irish dancing music, this is that in punk form - its the best!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008