michael frenti anyone?

spatspat Posts: 644
edited December 2005 in Other Music
did i get his name right? i've heard some random stuff by this guy and i like his style alot. anyone into him that can give me some recommendations on where to start collecting his music? i've heard his contribution to the sublime tribute and i also have this bootleg of him doing no woman no cry with blues traveler...really cool vibe he's got.
My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Its Michael Franti, he's from the bay area and has an amazing band called Spearhead. They play funk, hip hop, rock, r and b, and even some punk. Great band. Their shows have the feeling of a Grateful Dead or Phish show. Michael Franti reminds me of Gil Scott Heron

Anyways their website is http://www.stayhuman.org

check them out
  • kasiekasie Posts: 26
    I have seen him live several times and he is a great performer. Great and positive music. I would recommend any and all of his cd's.
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Franti is great,you can download live shows here: http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    kasie wrote:
    I have seen him live several times and he is a great performer. Great and positive music. I would recommend any and all of his cd's.

I agree w/my girl kasie;)

he is an amazing singer/songwriter. You should try reading some of lyrics, they are very political and true, to what is happening in the world.

My boyfriend got me into him when we started dating...he is true to his words and man, his lyrics are so true!! :) I LOVE his acoustic album, Songs from the Porch, what a nice album to relax and chill too. :D I seriously have become a fan of Michael Franti and Spearhead...and if you are in the Bay Area in Sept. he organizes Power to the Peaceful Festival EVERY single year...he manages to organize this big event, bring bands and people together all in San Francisco.

we are going to see them next weekend, when they play the Fillmore on the 26th! I can't wait to see him again!! :D so yeah, pick up his albums...they are all worth listening to ;)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    I love Michael Franti he seems so cool and has really good values and political veiws. Stay Human was the 1st album I loved that I still love now. Bomb the world off Everyone deserves music is such an awesome song. My sister had the oppurtunity to see him live for $30 and then decided not to go:(
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
    I just saw him this past weekend w/my fiancee (it was my late b-day present to him) oh man did we ROCK the Filmore. Everyone there was so beautiful and it felt the same energy as it was whenever I see Pearl Jam:) We also made the floor shake!! You can feel the place vibrating!! :eek:

I have SO much respect for that man, he practice what he preaches:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    oh man did we ROCK the Filmore.

i live something like 6 blocks from the fillmore, but didn't get to go to that show b/c my in-laws were in town for a week (a week!) surrounding thanksgiving. did you get a chance to see hot buttered rum, the opening band? if so, how was their set?

i got a chance to see them at the great american last february and loved every minute of their show (which is available on http://www.archive.org just like franti's stuff), which featured a bunch of really choice guest musicians. not being a huge fan of franti, hbrsb is why i would have been at fillmore last weekend, had it not been for my monster-in-law. ;)
    i live something like 6 blocks from the fillmore, but didn't get to go to that show b/c my in-laws were in town for a week (a week!) surrounding thanksgiving. did you get a chance to see hot buttered rum, the opening band? if so, how was their set?

I really dug Hot Buttered Rum, they were amazing!!! Towards the end of their set, Michael and Radio came out and started doing a Bob Marley song with them...it was really beautiful!!:)

And for all you Spearhead fans out there, in the Bay Area, they will be playing at the Bob Marley Festival on Feb. 25th at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. I am SO going!! with the Wailers?!! OMG!! :eek: i can't wait!!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    my daughter is a big fan. she has seen him in lawrence, ks., spain, and in kansas city. he will also be at the WAKARUSA music fest in lawrence, ks (to be held june 8-11). i haven't yet heard much of his stuff, but if my daughter recommended you can depend it. :D
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
    oh yeah for sure! Great music! Funky rhymes and he is preaching the message of LOVE!! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    There's gotta be more Spearhead fans out there!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    anyone else LOVES Spearhead?! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • pogsmogspogsmogs Posts: 23
    check out red beans and rice off the live at boab album, it is so friggin cool!
    Franti come to australia again please!!
    Melbourne: 17/March/95, 18/March/95, 2/March/98, 3/March/98, 19/Feb/03
    Brisbane: 10/Nov/06, 11/Nov/06, 25/Nov/09, 10/March/11
    pogsmogs wrote:
    check out red beans and rice off the live at boab album, it is so friggin cool!
    Franti come to australia again please!!

yep. I LOVE that bootleg...very cool. :D

He sang that song at the Harvest Ball in 2005 w/Hot Buttered Rum! :)

I HEART Michael and Spearhead! :o
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    hell yeah, i saw spearhead on the big summer classic tour with string cheese. killer band.
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
    this needs a BUMP up since more people should get into him!! :D

Check out his latest album: Yell Fire!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I had the pleasure of seeing Micheal and Spearhead at HOB in Mrytle Beach, they were f-n great...

my girlfriend won tickets to see Ziggy Marley, and Franti was the opening act...all I know is, Franti rocked and Ziggy blew...we were lucky Ziggy was too messed up to take the stage on time..

we left 3 songs into Ziggy's set because he sucked so much...